Risk/Reward of Avoiding Covid-19

Another impact of Covid:

Source: https://x.com/bryan_johnson/status/1778493332827897876

4 Likes

This has been my fear since mid 2020 when I read an interview of a local masters cyclist who caught the early COVID variant in pre shutdown 2020 while traveling. His infection was bad and then his physical capacity remained a small fraction of his pre COVID self. With vaccines and luck, i have avoided it so far.

4 Likes

Perhaps rapamycin offers some protection:
“mTOR blockage inhibits Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome in vitro”

" rapamycin has gained significant attention as of its activity against cytokine storm in COVID-19 patients. Rapamycin and its derivatives have more potency when compared to other prevailing drugs".

And oddly: “Interestingly, multiple recent retrospective studies have shown a significant mortality benefit for COVID-19 patients on metformin”

I apologize if these references have been previously posted.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9875782/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8159020/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9169843/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8001969/

4 Likes

I think @Arhu is on point here. Trying to avoid Covid is like trying to avoid the common cold. It will find you. I’ve had it 3 times so far.
Long Covid may or may not be real and if it is real it’s not significantly different than prolonged symptoms that some people get from any other virus. We need to differentiate “long Covid” from permanent lung damage that some people suffered from Covid.
As far as the vaccine, tougher question. My opinion is that young healthy people don’t need it. Young men highest risk for myocarditis. Sick or older people may benefit from an antibody boost from the vaccine each winter like the flu shot.

3 Likes

I think that lung damage would be a definitive sign that long COVID exists.

2 Likes

Interestingly Bryan Johnson just posted about his "long covid " though he was vaxxed and boosted when he caught it

https://x.com/bryan_johnson/status/1778493332827897876

It seems logical that people with a viral/bacterial pneumonia end up with some scarring but for most people covid is nothing more than an upper respiratory infection

2 Likes

I assume you have the same kind of long-term damage for all viral infections. People recover with time but not entirely (it’s possible that Bryan’s protocol didn’t accelerate his recovery at all, by the way, so we need RCT). The best way to avoid getting infected is to get a yearly vaccine. Unfortunately, in Europe, vaccines are often only available to older people…

4 Likes

Paper: Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines to prevent long COVID: data from Norway

5 Likes

Unvaccinat3d were more likely to test and therefor also test positive because we needed to have a negative test for admissions

In Norway?

And even if non vaccinated were more likely to test, why would they then be more likely to develop long-term symptoms? The frequency of testing is unrelated to the likelihood of subsequent symptoms.

2 Likes

Because if you develop the same symptoms without having had a positive test you are not counted as a long covid patient

I am not familiar with the norwegian testing and admission policy but I assume it was more or less similar to other countries (except the sensible Swedes)

If we compare those who developed long covid who tested positive it was 4% for unvaccinated and 3.5% for vaccinated.

It is appropriate of course to compare with entire (non-positive cohort) since vaccine efficacy was 90%+ at one point in preventing infection…

1 Like

Exactly. Did you read the paper @AnUser?

They looked at people who “developed at least one of the 25 WHO-listed symptoms recorded at between 90 and 365 days after the date of a COVID-19 positive test or diagnosis, with no record of that symptom 180 days before SARS-Cov-2 infection”

Same results in Norway, Estonia, Spain, and the UK. It would be interesting to do them in Sweden indeed. I was in Sweden during the first 2 months of Covid and despite the lack of official restrictions people applied social distancing way more than in France. Just because Swedes are naturally not super promiscuous, and French don’t respect anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did but mostly checked the numbers, but I do think they were comparing to those who hadn’t tested positive or gotten a covid diagnosis, which is valid since the vaccines did have high efficacy at the time in preventing infection. Still, according to my back on the envelope calculation long covid was lower for the vaccine group when tested positive.

Risk of myocarditis in that particular subgroup is still higher from covid though.

4 Likes

True, but getting the vaccine is like intentionally getting Covid. I don’t know if severity of myocarditis from Covid has changed as the virus has changed.

3 Likes

You can’t really escape covid any more than you can escape microplastics… Maybe by moving to another planet…

2 Likes

Agreed but why add the vaccine as another exposure to myocarditis?

2 Likes

So if the humans dealt with respiratory viruses for eons their cells were literally injected thru a ligand binding lipid membrane enveloped NON-ATTENUATED mRNA and DNA full viral genome…
so how is that better than the vaccine ?

My office never distributed the vaccine and I have zero financial conflict here. I am not a big mRNA vaccine proponent and I believe it definitely needs more studies. The vaccine definitely has side effects… but it doesn’t make you more magnetic or causes countless deaths like the the anti-vaxxers alleges.

I took the two the 2 delta variant vaccines initially (required for hospital privileges) but never had the boosters. As an immunologist I have been exposed tons of viral infections and I rarely get sick. I assumed that I have enough mucosal immunity where further vaccines did present me with a clear benefit to risk ratio, especially when the virus has mutated to a more mild form… but that’s me - very health conscious individual. A diabetic 90 year old should absolutely get all the boosters they can.

BTW, the Long Covid syndrome is just rebranded post-viral syndrome that lasts longer than 3 months. Post-viral syndrome has been well described for decades it consists of various symptoms… persistent cough, fatigue, etc. Not even that controversial here and I have dealt with tons of cases

4 Likes

The vaccine roll out should have been more nuanced for sure and should have never been required.

2 Likes