Rilmenidine vs Telmisartan or other BP meds for Longevity

There seems to be a small protective effect of LDL-c in mendelian randomization (0.96) per 1 SD increase in LDL for PD. But I wonder if it’s because they don’t live long enough on average to get a PD diagnosis. If you increase LDL by 3 SD to get a 0.88 decrease in PD risk you probably lost many many years of healthy life in expectation. So it’s a net harm. And there is a net benefit of 2 SD below mean, unless you maximize on PD risk.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.119.314929?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%20%200pubmed

Association studies are so noisy it makes my head spin, almost any conclusion can be made.

Yes it’s hard. But several of my friends who are PD or AD researchers (including authors of some of the papers I cited) wonder if statins could be detrimental. It’s quite noisy for now but they’re now looking at bigger and better databases and hope to definitely answer this question (and, hopefully, they will be wrong…).

3 Likes

Even if they are right there might still be a net benefit by using statins. It would be interesting to see statin risk on AD stratified by apoe4 status since lower desmosterol levels in brain is assosciated with increase risk of AD.

I mostly take statins because of price and availability. PCSK9 inhibitors and CETP inhibitors are coming in the next decade.

1 Like

Maybe for the general population but maybe not at an individual level depending on what you want to optimize and your personal genetic risk.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a citation for scholarly review article on the benefits of Telmisartan, including life extension benefits. I’m going to request a prescription from my cardiologist today and I’d some research backup for my pitch : ). I’ve only found studies on specific discrete effects, e.g. insulin sensitivity, mitochondrial efficiency.

1 Like

Many papers cited here: Why Telmisartan Is Best For Blood Pressure - Life Extension

See also my posts there:

3 Likes

Yes, this is a good article which I’ve read. I was hoping for a journal review, which I think would be more persuasive to conventional physician. It seems it does not contain a citation to a review, only studies on specific mechanisms, which I’m not sure my physician will have the patience to read.

Sharma AM. Telmisartan: the ACE of ARBs? Hypertension. 2006

1 Like

Thanks you Jonas and also adssx

2 Likes

good luck! also this one: Cardiovascular Diabetology volume 11 , Article number: 32 (2012)

1 Like

[quote=“Jonas, post:37, topic:11670”]
Telmisartan: the ACE of ARBs?
[/quote] is refreshingly pithy and hints at some appealing mechanisms for telmisartan’s longevity impact, such as reduced abdominal fat, improved fat oxidation, mitochondrial health etc.

So got my script after some conversation with my cardiologist. He didn’t think I really needed it but admitted it could be justified base on guidelines.

2 Likes

FWIW: I like the combo of metoprolol and temisarton.

I take metoprolol in the morning and telmisartan in the evening.
Metoprolol seems to be prescribed by most doctors for old people with high blood pressure.

Metoprolol and telmisartan work differently to lower blood pressure:

Metoprolol is a beta-blocker medication.
It works by blocking the effects of epinephrine and norepinephrine (adrenaline and noradrenaline) on beta receptors in the heart and blood vessels.
This reduces heart rate, cardiac output, and blood pressure.

Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
It blocks the binding of angiotensin II to angiotensin I receptors, which prevents blood vessel constriction and lowers blood pressure.
It also reduces aldosterone secretion, causing the kidneys to excrete more sodium and water, further lowering blood pressure.

3 Likes

I take labetalol, 50 mg, and telmisartan, 20 mg. Works very well for me.

1 Like

Somehow my mother has reduced her BP from 150 to 130. The only things she’s added are GLYNAC and Taurine. She’s also been hitting the gym with my father. However I didn’t think either affected BP that much???

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m just ecstatic for both my parents. I’m so proud of both of them for taking the right steps.

3 Likes

It’s probably the gym. I couldn’t believe that myself, until I tried to exercise every day which significantly dropped my blood pressure.

1 Like

One thing ive noticed, since going ham on the telmisatan (80) and Jardiance (25) is some constipation. It seems to be taking the water out if you know what I am saying. Hopefully body gets used to the telmisartan, and it goes away as I’ve just started it

Telmisartan shouldn’t impact this. But yes empagliflozin can, so make sure you drink enough water. And if needed reduce the empagliflozin dose to 10 mg.

I’ve been taking telmisartan (first 20 mg, then increased to 40 mg), and empagiflozan (10mg) and am monitoring BP with Aktiia bracelet. I started at about 120/70, and my goal was to get closer to 115/65. I’ve been able to get to about avg 118/68. Not sure how much more I want to push things as far as adding more meds (e.g. amlodipine). It seems the higher the BP is the more impact these meds will have. Once you’re closer to optimal range, they don’t move the needle as much. Maybe I’ll try adding L-citrulline.

3 Likes