Reverse Gray Hair, Hair Repigmentation

Video from any relatively recent phone (even low/mid-range phones, not just flagships) is on par with, if not superior to, expensive stand-alone video of 10 years ago. Many are 4k (overkill for youtube), and ALL are 1080 HD - which is very good/normal quality for youtube videos.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind giving this a try. I’ve just started going grey, it might be interesting to see if it had any effect as it’s not too advanced.

4 Likes

In the mean time I’ll start doing half my face with tacromlimus ointment 0.1%. I’ll also make photos of my beard but I’ll let it grow out a bit more first

4 Likes

Any idea for a dosing schedule? Half life of the ointment is 65-75h and it has some nasty potential side effects one of which follicutitis I am already quite prone to… I think once a week seems like a safe starting schedule but might not be enough for the benefits either…

1 Like

Good enough for an initial pic?

6 Likes

In the published study linked to in the first post, they used this dosing schedule: “mice were gently shaved along their lower back and treated twice daily with the indicated solutions”

You’ll have to find a dosing schedule that works for you, if this type of schedule causes causes undesirable side effects.

1 Like

Since the half life is quite long (75h) I think I will start with once maybe twice weekly initially for a few months. I can always increase the dose later.

Yes - a reasonable strategy it to start more slowly and increase dosing if side effects are not a problem. One other consideration is how frequently you wash your scalp / face, etc. If you shower each morning, and it washes the formulation off your head each morning, perhaps application each evening makes sense. If you’re showering every 2 days, then perhaps every two days makes sense.

3 Likes

ok. I’ll take part in this challenge. I would love to fix my beard. It’s greying, and patchy… which is an awful combo. I’ll take a ‘before’ pic in the coming week, and I’ll come up with my final regimen by then as well. However, I won’t be taking my concoction twice a day… I tried that once before with minox 5%, and it gave me heart palps.

3 Likes

If you are already taking Low Dose Oral Minoxidil, any guesses on what effect might occur from topical application of cyclosporin and tacrolimus?

I don’t know - I was wondering the same thing. Seems like a good example where a personal clinical trial n of 1 is appropriate. Make two versions of formulation - one with minoxidil and one without. Try each for a month or two and see if there is a noticeable difference.

4 Likes

Hello all… first time poster. Very excited to see people experimenting with a grey hair reversal treatment.

I won the genetic lottery of starting to get greys at 27 (:man_facepalming:t2:) so something like this would be a godsend to me. I’m 36 now, the grey isn’t overwhelming yet but def noticeable… maybe like 25%. And I’m just now starting to get some in the beard.

One thing is for sure based on the pictures from Dr. Weinstein himself— while the regrowth is questionable, this definitely seems to brings color back.

I’m including a picture below that I dug up from various forums.
Rivertown-RT1640-Before-After

I have to think something like this starts to get commercialized in the coming years.

5 Likes

As surprising as it might seem, Dr. Weinstein said that the interest in funding for his RiverTown Therapeutics venture had not come through so far (and he’s been at it for 4 years I think now). And now the biotech funding market is even worse than it had been for the past half decade - so I suspect it may not happen. I’m not sure why it is the case - I’m not a patent lawyer, but most of the compounds he has been using are generic drugs already, so no patent protection there. The one unique molecule, GPI 1485, has not gone through any sort of FDA approval, so thats a multi-year clinical study process that has yet to start. And, investors / VCs like to see younger founders with no gray hair - so ageism could also be a factor in him not getting funding yet.

Right now - the commercialization effort seems to be on hold, and so the only way you’re going to get this formulation in the next 4 or 5 years (minimum) is if you make it yourself.

3 Likes

I plan on probably trying it on my own and and will follow this thread. Given the immunosuppressant nature of one of the ingredients, it does give my some reservation but since it’s a topical I would think its not a huge risk factor.

As far as funding, forgive me if I’m conflating the two, but anti aging funding research funding in general is exploding at the moment so I’m hoping aesthetics gets swept up along with it. I know there are a ton of new biotechs popping up with hair loss research/potential products and there’s even a few that are looking into grey hair like Eirion Therapeutics which actually has something in their pipeline. I don’t expect anything before the 5 year marker you mentioned but I’m hoping there’s at least some beginning signs of momentum.

What’s annoying is that while greying is probably the #1 sign of cosmetic aging, it’s somehow brushed aside and not given the same attention as any other cosmetic aging symptom. Everything else either has some sort of product that partially works or there’s products in development. For this, it’s a cover up method of dye which is problematic for a host of reasons and that’s it.

I know the biologist at Alabama that Weinstein is working with (Melissa Harris) has done a lot of interviews on this topic so again, hopefully the tide is starting to turn.

In the meantime, hopefully this self made treatment works for us.

2 Likes

Interesting… I had not yet come across her name. Thanks for mentioning. You are right… lots of good interviews on the topic:

What does your latest research show about the ability to repigment gray hair?

Recently, we had the fortune of working with Rivertown Therapeutics, a company that has developed a combination drug that may combat age-related hair loss. Some of its work suggested that this drug is not only good for activating hair growth but might also support hair repigmentation. Using our gray-haired mouse models, we were able to show that topical application of this drug could indeed turn gray mice less gray! You could imagine our excitement to literally ‘see’ that change. Our initial study was published this summer, and we are eager to better understand the key mechanisms by which this drug works, which is what we are focusing on now.

What’s your realistic case estimate of how fast this therapy or something like it will be commercially available for humans? Still 5-10 years away?

“Bench to bedside” has an average timeframe of around 13 years. I’m purely a bench scientist, so it’s hard for me to predict exactly how long commercialization would take; however, with the speed of current research, I remain optimistic and hopeful that we will find effective solutions sooner rather than later.

In that last interview she points to this paper, a review of drugs that have reversed gray hair:

Medication-Induced Repigmentation of Gray Hair: A Systematic Review

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/504414

and an older video presentation on her work:

4 Likes

Not so much I think. That is what Richard Weinstein seemed to suggest when I spoke with him - he said funding the the “cosmeceuticals” market was difficult (the market space which he placed RiverTown Therapeutics in). I think most of the big growth in funding for longevity science is focused on core hallmarks of aging, and the specific yamanaka factors, blood factors, small molecules that may slow the core rate of aging. As far as I can see it seems like a completely different investment market for superficial age related conditions like gray hair.

Hopefully that begins to change. Makes no sense to me that something like grey hair would be treated as a superficial issue and ignored while wrinkles, hair loss, skin, etc is treated otherwise.

We’ll see. In the meantime I will most likely be trying this serum. Looking forward to seeing your results

Also… any thoughts on the countless grey hair reversal accounts due to unrelated drug treatments?

Most commonly with immunosuppressants and cancer drugs. There’s a ton of accounts. There seems to be a mechanism that can indeed bring hair color back.

Here are some articles (I can only post two as a new user)–

2 Likes

So it appears Transcutol and Ethoxydigycol are the same. I just want to be sure.

I think so. There seem to be a million different names for that compound in common use - so I try to go by the CAS number, because that doesn’t change.

Note: Transcutol has a number of different chemical names/identifiers. Here is a list: 2-(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethanol: Ethoxydiglycol, 3,6-dioxa-1-octanol, DEGEE, diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, Carbitol, Carbitol Cellosolve, Transcutol, Dioxitol, Polysolv DE, Dowanal DE

Chemical Identifier: CAS Number 111-90-0

Where you can order / buy Transcutol from:
LotionCrafters: Transcutol / Ethoxydiglycol
Laballey.com: Transcutol / Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether

1 Like