Request for opinions about Thiamax

Hi Everyone

I have just found out about a supplement called Thiamax. Each capsule contains 100mg of Thiamine Tetrahydrofurfuryl Disulfide. It is allegedly a very bioavailable megadose of Vitamin B1.

I would be very grateful for your thoughts about it.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Never heard of it. Seems expansive and useless. I would rather use benfothiamine.

1 Like

Sounds like the same chemical as the 30 year old branded supplement Allithiamine, sold in 50mg doses as a bioavailable form of vitamin B1. Allithiamine is also cheaper at $0.14 per 50mg from Amazon.com, and I added it to my stack recently to see if it helps with mental fatigue, which can be caused by thiamine deficiency.

1 Like

This article confirms tananth’s post.

Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide: a little known therapeutic agent - PubMed.

Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide (TTFD) is the synthetic counterpart of allithiamine, occurring naturally in garlic. Allithiamine was discovered in Japan in 1951. Its extensive research was reported by a group known as the Vitamin B Research Committee of Japan, and given this name because of its existence in the bulbs of many of the allium species of plants. It was found to be a disulfide derivative of thiamine, produced as a result of enzymatic action on the thiamine molecule in garlic bulbs when the bulb is cut or crushed.

1 Like

TTFD VS Benfotiamine
I can find no studies that directly compare TTFD to benfotiamine.

TTFD is more expensive than benfotiamine.

TTFD has 5-10 times higher bioavailability than regular thiamine.
Benfotiamine has 3-5 times higher bioavailability than regular thiamine.
TTFD may have slightly better absorption than benfotiamine

TTFD is converted directly to active thiamine form (thiamine pyrophosphate).
Benfotiamine must first be converted to S-benzoylthiamine, which then releases active thiamine.
Clinical Uses

TTFD has been primarily studied for alcohol dependence and cognitive impairment.
Benfotiamine has been primarily studied for diabetic complications.

Bottom line:
Both restore thiamine levels. TTFD is more bioavailable so less dosage may be needed compared to benfotiamine, but benfotiamine is much cheaper.

I can find no evidence that one is better than the other or even better than plain thiamine
It just depends on the dose and how quickly low thiamine levels are restored.

For quick action, TTFD is probably the best.

2 Likes