Replacing Omega-3 with C15:0 a Good Idea?

After reading a recent interview with longevity doctor Mark Hyman posted here, I’m considering replacing my daily fish oil Omega 3 supplement with C15:0 instead.

I don’t want to add more stuff to my stack, but I am willing to replace things. From data I’ve found, C15:0 seems to be a better essential fatty acid supplement to take than omega 3 (but is certaily more expensive).

What do you guys think? Additional info at this link:

1 Like

Looks promising, but the author of the linked article above appears to be a relative (husband?) of the researcher who published the original research. The author of the original research also created a supplement for sale called Fatty15.

However, other research does back up some of these claims:

1 Like

I’ve been taking it for a few months and my numbers are improving. I don’t know if that’s why. I do lots of stuff. It is expensive. I take omega3 too.

2 Likes

C15:0 is not recognized as essential, and even if it was it wouldn’t substitute for omega 3. If there was a cheap odd chain product I might consider adding it to cooking oil. I don’t see evidence to justify the cost here, though.

1 Like

You can get 15:0 from dairy products.

Because of my Scandinavian background and the fact that I am the first generation of my family that does not live on a farm, I was raised on a diet that included whole milk, butter, and cheese.
Several studies have shown that whole milk is better for you than 1% or other reduced-fat milk.
Maybe because whole milk and butter contain 15:0, heptadecanoic acid. In fact, some studies use 15:0 as a marker for dairy intake.

My point is; perhaps dairy consumption has contributed to my very good overall health.
Perhaps in spite of my liking for dairy products, it has caused no harm.

In meta-analysis of 15:0 (16 cohorts, 59,701 participants, 14,658 cases), higher 15:0 levels were associated with 26% lower risk of T2D

2 Likes

Odd chain fatty acids are only a small percentage of those in milk fat, and while they are used as biomarkers of dairy consumption, the correlations are not actually that strong. It seems, though, that dairy is still the best known dietary source. People can also get them, to some extent, from the same place cows do: microbial fermentation of fiber to proprionate. Under some conditions branched chain amino acids might get converted, too.

I think the concentration of odd-chain fatty acids in whole milk is about 1.2-1.5% So you’re not getting a whole lot unless you are an avid milk drinker.

Source Tweet: https://x.com/prof_horvath/status/1755539475545936167?s=20

Full Paper:

Conclusions: Our analysis shows that consuming fish oil, whether through whole food or as a supplement, can have a rejuvenating impact as measured by PhenoAge and GrimAge acceleration. We have also confirmed the causal link between fish oil intake and lower triglyceride levels. These results, based on robust MR-based analyses, emphasize the effectiveness of dietary choices in influencing healthspan.

4 Likes

Rhonda Patrick showed a ton of research backing omega-3 but she did it over YT so I don’t have the citations handy. But they looked rock solid. I’m apoe4 so I’ve switched to a phospholipid form to make sure I’m getting the most out of it. In any case, fatty looks good but it would be an addition, not a replacement, of omega 3.

Why replace when you can have both?

3 Likes