Red light can reduce blood glucose levels

The researchers found that 670 nanometres (nm) of red light stimulated energy production within mitochondria, the tiny powerhouses within cells, leading to increased consumption of glucose. In particular, it led to a 27.7% reduction in blood glucose levels following glucose intake, and it reduced maximum glucose spiking by 7.5%.

7 Likes

Might have to investigate this next time im continuous glucose monitoring

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see whether this has more or less effect on diabetics, and whether there are differences for type 1 or 2.

1 Like

Good news considering Iā€™ve been using a Platinum LED panel for four years.

1 Like

Thank you. Good find.

Source study below:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jbio.202300521

2.5 Light exposure

During the participants second visit an intervention was undertaken prior to OGTT measurement. In the 670 nm PBM group, immediately following initial blood glucose measurement, participants exposed an 800 cm2 region of upper back to 670 nm light for 15 min at an intensity of 40 mW cmāˆ’2 (28 800 J).

800 cm2 is 40 x 20 cm, or about 15.7 by 7.5 inches in area. So one who is wearing a red light hat for hair growth, might achieve two benefits in one - reduction in blood glucose, and increase in hair growth.

Single exposures to 670 nm light can be effective within 3 h and can have impact for up to 5ā€“7 days

4 Likes

Anyone know what the exact mechanism is by which this works?

1 Like

Abstract

Mitochondria regulate metabolism, but solar light influences its rate. Photobiomodulation (PBM) with red light (670 nm) increases mitochondrial membrane potentials and adenosine triphosphate production and may increase glucose demand. Here we show, with a glucose tolerance test, that PBM of normal subjects significantly reduces blood sugar levels. A 15 min exposure to 670 nm light reduced the degree of blood glucose elevation following glucose intake by 27.7%, integrated over 2 h after the glucose challenge. Maximum glucose spiking was reduced by 7.5%. Consequently, PBM with 670 nm light can be used to reduce blood glucose spikes following meals. This intervention may reduce damaging fluctuations of blood glucose on the body.

1 Like

@KarlT I think this is an interesting question. I have looked for an answer but cannot find a mechanism for why mitochondria are stimulated to make ATP (from glucose in the case where blood glucose drops) in response to certain photons.

And, is it a purposeful function (make energy to use in near skin organs to protect or repair sun damage to skin) or a energy saving function (take advantage of energy from sun to save energy from food) or something else?

In any case, I make sure to get NIR on my body (feet, joints, face) 2x/day from my lamp plus I get sunshine on my skin (not face) a few minutes a day whenever possible.

It might be just historical. Mitochondria were once free living bacteria & perhaps then they got some energy from light & have kept the ability.

Of course, there may also be a selection advantage, else they might have lost the function.

1 Like

FWIW

Those interested in an overview;

From

Molecular Biology of the Cell. 4th edition.

The Mitochondrion

2 Likes

615 - 670 nm (red org light) car led tail light colorā€¦ not traffic light red colorā€¦ IMHO the therapeutic dose is 6-12 joules per square centimeterā€¦ volts (2vdc led junction voltage- photon energy in volts) times amps per square cm times length of exposure in secondsā€¦ the dimmer the light the longer the exposureā€¦ I know a lot about this go ahead ask questions.

3 Likes

the photon energy is transferred to electron energy in a quantum wave functionā€¦ in the hydrogen pump mechanism in mitochondria wallā€¦ changing/charging AMP to ADP to ATPā€¦ in spadesā€¦

if you must know the photon energy is captured and transferred to the electron causing the electron to jump to a higher energy levelā€¦ amp, adp, atp is a rechargeable molecule, the energy comes from the sun via photo synthesis normally, food intakeā€¦ here it comes directly from red/org lightā€¦ but make no mistake this is not photosynthesisā€¦

2 Likes

a lot more goes on inside the cell due the light exposure at that wave lengthā€¦ increases NO, increase cell specific protein production, (via ribosome activation)ā€¦ blue light (bright day light) can do the oppositeā€¦ shuts it downā€¦ due to risk of transcription errorsā€¦

3 Likes

@iamhe Thanks. Is the blue light issue due to that wavelength or the accompanying UV radiation?

FWIW

Several years ago a medical doctor in Germany developed a fiber optic systems with variable adjustable nm light source.

The instrument is called the WeberneedleĀ® Endo Laser, a catheter IV installed fiber optic line.

https://www.webermedical.com/index.php?id=1&lang=en

1 Like