Real risks with "longevity" dose regime of rapamycin?

What are the real risks with “longevity” dose regime of rapamycin? Below is Matt Kaeberleins overall view in the topic which he expresses in a recent great podcast episode by Louisa Nicola. Did he miss to mention any important risk to take into consideration? All feedback is welcome.

Source: https://podbay.fm/p/the-neuro-experience/e/1668423600

5 Likes

I’ve heard some say that their triglycerides raised between month 2-4 but dropped again by month 6+. Can anyone corroborate this or share your own experience regarding rapamycin’s effect on triglycerides?

2 Likes

Very good point! This complex unknown area is also something which concerns all types of longevity interventions. The good thing is that rapamycin is not a new drug. It has been used for decades by organ transplant patients so we have some data from this population to rely on. Again, good point!

1 Like

Thanks for posting - great stuff.

I would only suggest that you add at the bottom of this image the details on who Matt Kaeberlein is, his position at UW, etc. You can’t automatically assume that anyone who sees this knows who Matt is and why the quote is at all something people may want to pay attention to.

1 Like

I like the fact that Rapamycin is also clinically used to treat cancer. Taking a supplement that cures instead of potentially causing cancer is a big load off my mind. Especially since Rapamycin is effective against brain tumors. Although the oncologist I spoke to about it said that they tend to prefer using everolimus. I pressed him as to why, and he didn’t really know. It’s just in their prescription database.

However, Rapamycin does not treat or prevent ALL cancer, just a specific subset.

2 Likes

That might be the case, but with a study of N=1, it is hard to tell.

The jury still seems to be out, especially among older people and “triglicerides and all cause mortality”

FWIW: Here is my triglycerides chart since I started taking rapamycin. Of course there are many variables besides rapamycin to take into account.

5 Likes

What’s happened since Sept 22, if I may ask? Looks like a major intervention may have been undertaken?

1 Like

People have taken much higher doses for transplant purposes for decades.

Is there a reason to believe there is more risk taking a lower dose?

2 Likes

One possible reason why they use Everolimus is because that is FDA approved for cancer treatment. I don’t know if Sirolimus is FDA approved for that. Correct me if I’m wrong :pray:

Super interesting and big thanks for sharing this! I will share my values also when I start so that we can see how my triglycerides develops. Anyone else who has this data an can share with the community?

Yes, this is a serious question so no joke from my side. And it’s also important to take in consideration that it’s very hard to summarize everything in a good way when getting interviewed on a podcast but I think we can get a quite interesting overall view of how Matt Kaeberleins sees it. I think it’s also good that we try to look at what he is pointing out here. He is pointing out the term “real risks”. My interpretation of a real risk is a risk we have quite good knowledge about that can happen. A real risk is not like if you take this drug then you increase the risk of losing your job or something else hypothetical. Of course there can exists different unknown risks by taking rapamycin but it’s most likely good that we try to differ them from real risks. A better term for them is “unknown risks” and a better term for “real risks” is “known risks” I would say. But very good things you point out here, @mike666!

1 Like

:+1:

I want to just clearify that I’m not proposing that we should close our eyes for unknown risks. There is probably risks we don’t know about. Let’s say that rapamycin increase the risks of a certain disease and it takes decades before that disease starts to be visible. Curious question, how should we try to handle this case in a better way? Any thoughts in the topic?

Second curious question, what dose regime of rapamycin are you on currently? :slight_smile:

I reduced my rapamycin dose from 10 to 5mg/week with EVOO.

2 Likes

Wow, what an impact. Did you see any other impacts on your biomarkers?

Glad you’re back in the healthy range!

What were the biggest changes when you reduced your dosage?

(I.E. Why did you decide to do this?)

I just did the opposite and bumped up to 3 mg + GFJ + EVOO. That should put me in the 9-10 mg range.

2 Likes

Regardless of what Dr. Blagosklonny suggests, I like to keep my blood markers in the normal range. I found out that the only way for me to do that was to reduce my rapamycin dosage.

I now am taking 5 mg/week of rapamycin with a large dose of EVOO and a fatty meal. This may increase the effective dose to 6 - 7 mg/week. From what I have read 5mg/week is what Dr. Green is prescribing for most of his patients. He is taking a higher dose, but I think he has health problems that he is trying to address with rapamycin. I have no known health problems except being old.

4 Likes