Rapamycin with High Blood Pressure/ BP Medications - Anyone with Experience and / or Tips?

I have some friends interested in rapamycin who have higher blood pressure and are on medications:

One person is taking

• 12.5mg Hydrochlorothiazide

Another is taking:

• 5mg Amlodipine
  • 25mg Quinapril

Another is taking:

• 25mg Candesartan

Has anyone done the research / worked with their doctor to develop a regimen for taking rapamycin with this condition and these types of medications? Any information or personal stories appreciated…

1 Like

Epocrates is a free app available for Android/IOS that is awesome for drug interaction checks as well as for pharmacology/drug info in general. I use it all day long in my medical practice.

1 Like

Blogosklonny in his 2017 paper “From rapalogs to antiaging formula” proposes using ACE inhibitors such as Lisinopril and Angiotensin receptor blockers such as Valsartan, beta-blocker such as propranolol for lowering BP as well as anti-aging effects.

2 Likes

From what I can see on drug interactions - the biggest concern is Quinapril mixed with rapamycin (sirolimus) or everolimus.

ACE inhibitors Information:

See attached:

charmillon2014-2.pdf (490.5 KB)

I know that it’s an old post, but I came across it only today. I do have some experience with blood pressure meds while on rapamune: had anaphilaxis on Lizinopril, and also had accute gastritis after took only 25 mg of Lozartan. Was told that it could be because of rapamune. Now both are on my allergies list. Have been on 2.5 mg of amlodipine for a long time without any negative side effects.

1 Like

N=1
I take Losartan and have noticed no interactions with rapamycin at any dose.
Gastritis could be coincidental. I would give it another chance. IMO, Losartan is a very beneficial drug.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a good drug especially for kidneys, but I’m now afraid to try after that reaction. I read that in some rare cases it gives acute gastritis. I guess that was the case. May be I should start with a very low dose.

Update: tried a very small dose of Losartan for BP spike (12.5 mg). It increased my BP much and made me horribly thirsty to a point that it was hard to talk. I definitely have a bad reaction on the drug.