Rapamycin vs Branched chain amino acids?

Hi to all, I am 60yo and started Rapamycin around 6 weeks ago, and I’m interested in the opinions of people in this group. I am a fairly serious athlete and prior to starting rapamycin would take supplemental whey and branch chain amino acids to maintain lean muscle mass. The problem is that these are direct MTOR activators. Am I working at cross purposes? Or should I continue these to minimize loss of lean muscle mass since the Rapamycin is an MTOR inhibitor.

You’re hitting on a somewhat hot topic of late here. Several threads you can read. Those of us in your age group are trying to balance the benefits of Rapa vs potential muscle loss. There is no current “right” answer. I plan to avoid anabolic supplements such as whey protein for a day or two after taking Rapa.

3 Likes

FWIW, my own experience in using rapamycin 1x/week while continuing to exercise has been good. I take rapamycin on Sunday AM and then do a combination of fasting and low protein for 36 - 54 hours. Monday evening I lift weights. I usually feel strong, and I haven’t lost any (may have gained) muscle in last 4 months. 200 lbs; 12-15% body fat. I lift m/w/f. Friday afternoon is last lift. It isn’t my hardest lift but it is my biggest protein day. Saturday I recover on high protein before taking rapa on Sunday AM. I am usually very sore / achy Sunday afternoon thru Monday midday. I cycle easy on non- lift days.

2 Likes

So you are actively limiting protein intake for a few days after Rapamycin and then increasing it as your blood levels go down? Any articles supporting this? It makes sense but seems labor intensive in terms of meal planning etc.

1 Like

Are you limiting all protein or just supplements such as whey and BCAAs. So for instance are you not eating meat or fish for a couple days?

1 Like

I believe I’ve heard the researchers talk about how once rapamycin binds with FKBP12 to block mTOR1, its blocking it in that cell until it times out and even if you consume a molecule that activates mTOR1 normally, its not going to do that while rapamycin is blocking it.

At the same time, at the dosing that we are doing (low doses, weekly) we probably are not getting a huge penetration of rapamycin into all our cells. Rather, as they discussed in the recent Attia/Sabatini/Kaeberlein podcast, we are dialing down mTOR in some percent of our cells in some percent of our organs. Most cells are still likely would have mTOR activated during this period if you consume protein, relevant amino acids, etc.

Between these two factors, I don’t know if we have enough information to be confident in saying any one approach is likely better than others. It seems that if you are already blocking mTOR in some cells with rapamycin, then protein/amino acids won’t make any difference in those cells. The other cells will have mTOR activated though. Is the net effect beneficial or not, I’m not sure.

Given the state of knowledge right now, I just keep exercising on most days (might skip the day I take rapamycin) but otherwise don’t change things.

2 Likes

I’m still experimenting with this. As mentioned above, there are no great studies of this. And, even worse maybe, no good feedback to indicate if we’re doing the right thing. I will fast for about 16 hrs after taking Rapa and it will be a lower (50%?) protein day. If I note a decrease in exercise tolerance, I will change my regimen.

1 Like