Rapamycin side effect: Oral buccal exostosis?

I went to my dentist this week to check a thing I noticed in my gum. It was bone growth, buccal exostosis, which some people get. Seems like males in early adulthood get it more often than others. Nothing dangerous but my feeling is that Rapamycin triggered this development. Anyone experience something similar or thoughts in the topic?

This reminds me also of the mice study about regrowth of bone.

Discussion thread about that study here.

Here is an picture of my gum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They are usually associated with excessive bite forces locally (due to malocclusion)

2 Likes

Classic question of medication side effect. Was it coincidence or causation?

1 Like

I think my dog might have this! She has been on rapamycin for several years. I will try to snap a picture tonight.

@Arhu I don’t seem to have this problem according to my dentist. No problems with clenching or grinding teeths either.

@KarlT Yes, but I want to report it as a potential side effect and be as transparent as possible in my self-experimentation. If no one has experienced it before then it is probably coincidence but if Rapamycin can lead to more bone in the mice study then it feels like there could be something happening here. But if it’s only me who has experienced this then probably this is not due to Rapamycin. But in my case the buccal exostosis was quite easy to see. It can be that in other cases it is not that easy to see. But let’s see if others report something similar in this thread.

@Rayk Big thanks for sharing this. If you could share a photo that would be great :pray:

2 Likes

Dog mouth

1 Like

That’s Periodontitis…

1 Like

I see it often with people that have an omega shaped upper arch even when the teeth are seemingly aligned but the premolars are tilted to far in

Edit: oh now I see that that pic is yours. Is that lump really rock hard and not painful? It doesn’t look like a typical exostosis but much more like a fistula. Did your dentist make and x-ray and test vitality?

1 Like

Yes, it’s hard. First I thought it was mouth sore but it’s hard and not painful. The dentist took x-ray and other tests. She also took a photo. I can see if I can get in hold of my journal and the images. Are you a dentist?

1 Like