Rapamycin shipping and storage temperature

Hello, many of us are purchasing Rapamycin tablets via mail order and even from overseas. Last week when I received my shipment it was about 38 degrees C outside. I imagine the shipping cargo area can get much hotter. On the medication container it says not to store at a temperature above 30 deg C. I opened a strip and the medication looks fine. Is anyone aware of any stability issues with the tablet form of rapamycin at extreme temperature ranges that could be experienced during shipping?

Sorry if this was already addressed in the FAQ.

1 Like

I don’t know about the issue of short term temperature exposures, but:

Here is what the Pfizer website says:

Rapamune Oral Solution bottles should be stored protected from light and refrigerated at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F). Once the bottle is opened, the contents should be used within one month. If necessary, the patient may store the bottles at room temperatures up to 25°C (77°F) for a short period of time (e.g., not more than 15 days for the bottles).

Rapamune Tablets should be stored at 20°C to 25°C [USP Controlled Room Temperature] (68°F to 77°F). Use cartons to protect blister cards and strips from light. Dispense in a tight, light-resistant container as defined in the USP.

Source: https://www.pfizermedicalinformation.com/en-us/rapamune/storage-handling

2 Likes

Tablets I believe are far more stable than solution, which is far more stable than powder. It has to do with how the molecule is stabilized (or not) in it’s unique formulation.

I’m new to Rapamycin and have just ordered 99.9% powder from a scientific supply place (in the US!). After I transfer it into capsules, what is the best way to store it? The company stores the powder at -20°C, but I don’t have access to that sort of freezer. I’m getting 50mg (10 week supply). Would it be best to store it in my home freezer? Or might 10 weeks be a short enough time that it would be stable enough at room temp? This is my first post/reply here, so please let me know if I chose the correct place for this question!

1 Like

What compound are you planning to use to dilute the rapamycin?

You may want to read the posts about Rapamycin powder being broken down during digestion such that the Rapamycin doesn’t actually make it into your system.

1 Like

For a topical, DMSO; for systemic, no dilution - just capsules.

I did read that thread, but it doesn’t sound like there’s a great solution if that’s the case - (enteric capsules from Amazon not being effective; more effective capsules not being available). Are the pills that come from a pharmacy made to make it past the stomach before dissolving? I assume that the folks on here who get the powdered form have had some success or they wouldn’t still be using it?

FWIW

This is 100mg of rapamycin.

The smallest capsule available is a number 5.

I do think you will require a dilutent to make up capsules

You ordered/purchased ½ the amount shown in the photo.

2 Likes

Whoa. You’re right. I was expecting a small amount, but that’s really small! My first order hasn’t arrived yet, so I’m glad to have the heads up. Do you have a suggestion for something to cut it with? Maybe just sugar? Or perhaps just mix with a bit of olive oil and skip the capsules entirely?

On another thread in this forum I posted a link to a PDF copy of a book on pharmacological compounding.

See

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HwH3I7FJGND-FBBNjAcHcYKSABzRWDzU/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

Anything you can distill for me quickly from the 394 pages there in terms of suggestions for diluting? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thursdayrom, Most of the messages I’ve read about powder is that it is kept in the freezer until needed. I assume you’ve already planned on how you’re going to mix it in order to put it in a form that will be usable? 50 mg is a tiny amount. Trying to measure it into 5 mg of 6 mg doses without some type of filler is highly impractical. Search YouTube for geometric dilution which involves a mortar and pestle, lactose powder or some other dilution powder, and probably a dye to help you see how well mixed it is. Then, either put it in capsules or find a convenient way to measure a dose when needed.

You may have mentioned the idea of mixing with olive oil? With such a small amount, maybe? I’ve considered olive oil or avocado oil strongly in the past, but thought that it might require some type of continual agitation for an extended period of time in order to become thoroughly mixed because you can’t tell just by looking at the mixture how well it is mixed. Your doses could be way off in actual strength from one time to the next if it isn’t thoroughly mixed. Potentially convenient, but too risky for me.

I dropped the whole idea of powder for internal use and chose to purchase brand name rapamycin (sirolimus) tablets from Indian pharmicies (Indiamart) because of the convenience.

Thanks, Jay! The US-based chemical company I ordered from apparently figured out that I’m not a research institute and canceled my order today, so I’ll try the IndiaMart route - it does sound like it will be much simpler that way.

Thursdayrome, Search this site for known and trusted Indiamart sources. There is a topic for this, but I’ve forgotten the exact name.

Thanks! I ended up going with Welcome Healthcare, recommended on the list here for trusted sources. Quick email response and subsequent phone call; fairly straightforward wire transfer with Wise.com (though I changed my banking login creds after using just in case); offers tracking for the shipment; $210/100mg including shipping + $3 wire transfer fee. I’ll update the forum if/when it arrives with shipping speed and any issues. I also managed to finagle legit prescriptions for metformin and acarbose. Looking forward to trying this out and hopefully feeling better!

1 Like

Update: Rapamycin in the form of 1mg Biocon Rapacan tablets arrived today (2 weeks from order date)! It sounds like people are a little more confident about the Zydus brand, so I’ll specify that next time I order.

1 Like

I think they are both similar. It seems Zydus may be in a shortage as Rapacan is the only thing available through some sellers.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Hopefully the contaminant found in the one test we have here for Rapacan was just inert filler or the titanium dioxide coloring. It’s a darned shame it isn’t easier/cheaper to get pills tested for quality and purity.