Rapamycin, Protein Intake and Longevity

8 Likes

Thanks. This was good. Even though brief, the discussion brings home the point that there is nuance to the protein intake / exercise / mTOR hypergrowth solution for each person, ie, there is NO one size fits all approach.

7 Likes

I have to admit, I eat a very low protein diet naturally, I do not like to eat high protein. It is a chore for me.
I am watching this video where Michael Gregor (quack vegan doctor) but who has written a book on longevity critiquing this bodybuilder with high protein intake.

I have to read more about this. I am having flashbacks to IGF-1 litterature which I thought was B.S but now there are soon drugs for dogs that maybe increase lifespan based on that mechanism… IGF-1 and protein is related.

I think high protein literature might be flawed… I am feeling the quackery in me that is wrong and I am purging this… Somehow it is all starting to make sense to me… IGF-1, mTOR, amino acid restriction, protein… Or I might just be high.

1 Like

I’m still of the opinion that one should eat at least 1.6-2g/kg of protein per day spread over 4 meals AND take rapamycin to gain the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

Would you agree that lower protein is better if you have get no clinically significant side effect from it (muscle loss, loss of muscle strength)?

1 Like

As long as your muscle mass stays equal or grows, your current protein intake is sufficient.

2 Likes

Equal at an already optimal level of muscle mass or strength is the caveat. Optimal is higher than what is the case for the average person.

1 Like

How come thought so? I thought it was quite legit in lab / pre-clinical literature + the humans with genetically low. (Question for me was more that rats don’t risk falling and breaking a hip, etc, they way an old human does)

1 Like