Rapamycin Personal Results: Lab Tests, Exercise and Muscle Growth

Although, the benefits of cardio exercise is undeniable… the “fit” 70 year old is in just as good a condition as the “average” 37 year old, and better than the “low fitness” 25 year old:

and… for lifting weights:

Source on the lifting weights:

Source Tweet thread:

Just to be clear, this is lifelong intervention from this paper you reference:

“Habitual, lifelong physical activity delays the loss of VO2max and skeletal muscle mass with aging, but does not prevent their eventual decline to reach the threshold of aerobic and strength frailties. Impressively (ME: sorry, really, impressively? YAWN) , the delay has a remarkable clinical significance. At 80 years of age, individuals maintaining aerobic-endurance training throughout their lifespan have a VO2max of the average 50-year-old individual who never exercises, and 80-year-old individuals engaging in strength training throughout their lives have the strength of the average 55-year-old individual who never exercises. Thus, new pharmacological therapies are not needed to delay frailty in those individuals without physical constraints as a powerful one (aerobic and strength exercise) already exist.”

1 Like

That’s a depressing thought :confused:. Hopefully rapamycin can slow or even reverse some of that decline

Perhaps this amino acid is best delivered by injection?

Creatine and Exercise:

1 Like

@desertshores I found a female workout partner for you :grinning:

3 Likes

She’d run circles around me… lol.
And, is more shredded… hahaha!

What an inspiration. She started at 56.

1 Like

Having lucky genes, and exercise beats just about anything else. Most of us here are just trying to overcome the shortcomings nature has dealt us. Her motivation is inspirational and certainly something I could use more of.

Good to keep in mind whether you are younger or older:

“Our lab and others have shown repeatedly” that older muscles will grow and strengthen, says Marcas Bamman, the director of the UAB Center for Exercise Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. In his studies, men and women in their 60s and 70s who began supervised weight training developed muscles that were as large and strong as those of your average 40-year-old.

But the process of bulking up works differently in older people than in the young, he said.

Skeletal muscles are composed of various types of fibers and “two things happen” to those fibers after we reach middle age, Dr. Bamman says. Some die, especially if we have not been exercising our muscles much. Sedentary adults can lose 30 to 40 percent of the total number of fibers in their muscles by the time they are 80, Dr. Bamman says.

Others of the fibers remain alive but shrink and atrophy as we age.

Never Too Late: Building Muscle and Strength After 60

UAB study finds exercising one day a week may be enough for older women

3 Likes

Hey MAC - so I took look under the hood! Are you sure 2 years of rapamycin does scrub the heart and arteries of atherosclerosis? For past 3 years I have a 1 lb. steak every other day (after my workout dinner - T-bone, New York Strip, Sirloin, whatever is cheapest - $12 - $15) and drink two12-0unce glasses of whole milk (typically I go through 1.5 to 2 gallons per week). Every morning 2-eggs with cheese and bacon to start my morning.

My total score is 0 and my heart age is less than 35 year’s old. No evidence of coronary artery disease.

DAMN! I like those numbers - almost 2-years on rapamycin and 1 year on metformin. WOW!!

Coronary Calcium Scan June 20 2022.pdf (46.4 KB)

Agatston score is a semi-automated tool to calculate a score based on the extent of coronary artery calcification detected by an unenhanced low-dose CT scan, which is routinely performed in patients undergoing cardiac CT. Due to an extensive body of research, it allows for early risk stratification as patients with a high Agatston score (>160) have an increased risk for a major adverse cardiac event (MACE) 2. Although it does not allow for the assessment of soft non-calcified plaques, it has shown a good correlation with contrast-enhanced CT coronary angiography 1.

Method of calculation

The calculation is based on the weighted density score given to the highest attenuation value (HU) multiplied by the area of the calcification speck.

Density factor

• 130-199 HU: 1
  • 200-299 HU: 2
  • 300-399 HU: 3
  • 400+ HU: 4

For example, if a calcified speck has a maximum attenuation value of 400 HU and occupies 8 sq mm area, then its calcium score will be 32.

The score of every calcified speck is summed up to give the total calcium score.

Grading of coronary artery disease (based on total calcium score)

• no evidence of CAD: 0 calcium score
  • minimal: 1-10
  • mild: 11-100
  • moderate: 101-400
  • severe: >400
5 Likes

That’s amazing, kudos for being proactive and getting the scan and understanding your risk profile. Your genes and lifestyle are clearly not atherosclerotic.

Ageless!

“Despite convincing evidence showing that mTORC1 inhibition is associated with a marked decrease in size and complexity of atherosclerotic plaques during lesion development, mTOR inhibitors do not show a significant net effect on pre-existing lesions

1 Like

That’s awesome! Ah, to be young again…thanks, rapamycin!

I’ve been keto for a few years, and my LDL shot up soon after I started (and stayed high). My doctor was worried, and so I got a Agatston score last December: zero, just like it was 4 years ago. There’s definitely more to heart health than LDL.

2 Likes

A little more sobering (but still positive) is this medical editorial about cardiac events in patients with CAC=0:
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.767665

Here is the first part of the table of results from various studies:

At least the last two studies of asymptomatic people had only about 0.1% chance of a cardiac event per year. Other studies showed no events at all. The highest, as you can see was 3.6%, probably because of the patient pool.

1 Like

There’s no question in my mind that lipids are just part of the puzzle that must be seen in context with other risk factors.
I also believe that rapamycin is preventative but not curative.
CAC is a great screening tool.

1 Like

Related to Muscle growth / strength training:

1 Like

And commentary on this video:

I am with Matt K. from my own personal experience on this one! I eat one pound of steak after my workout every other day (good saturated fat - with two big glasses of whole milk) and have done this for 3-years straight.
Milk provides an immediate response for muscle growth and repair. The steak for a longer later influence. I work out and have my meal just before bed to let my body repair.
Link: Milk vs. Beef for Post workout Protein | Runner's World Australia and New Zealand

And, have always had steak at least 2-3 times a week since I was 30 years old - we live 2 blocks from a meat shop and I can get great steak buys! My LDL-C is 179 well above the 50-130 range. Total Cholesterol is 263 - decently above the 100-200 range. And yet, at 64 years have a CT Cardiac Calcium score of absolute zero. No adipose tissue - described as shredded and jacked at the gym - by the medical students. No evidence of coronary artery disease and my patient coronary age is less than 35 years. So yeah… there are a few outliers with issues that have a CTC score of zero (not many hahaha) - but I don’t think that is me. You can bet that I had my New York Strip Steak last night after the gym per my regiment and thoroughly enjoyed it. LOL

4 Likes

Your protein intake is at the opposite extreme from the low protein people. I too, totally reject the guidelines given by the “low protein people” such as Valter Longo and his longevity diet. I think his protein guidelines are actually detrimental. He practically treats protein like a poison. However, I do think you would be better off with a protein intake between the approx. 60 grams a day Longo would have you eat and your current approach. Perhaps 100 to 130 grams per a day total would be better. My reading indicates that Rhonda Patrick, Matt Kaberlein, Mike Lustgarten, Peter Attia and numerous other people well regarded in the field would find this level quite reasonable especially considering your lifestyle.

2 Likes

Thanks, I actually eat a good bit of protein every single day - typically eggs and bacon breakfast most mornings and the nights I don’t eat steak - I have either chicken or seafood. I enjoy the variety. Steak every day is just too heavy and monotonous! Hahaha.