Rapamycin (or acarbose/empagliflozin) and waist circumference

do you take acarbose even with low carb meals? (protein)?

1 Like

I drink a lot of soy and almond milk. Similar taste and you don’t need to worry about the lactose.

1 Like

yup, been drinking almond for years, no gut issues at all and its very yummy! especially with oatmeal :slight_smile: If you’re a heavy dairy milk drinker, you might not like it at first but after a week or so you get use to it.

1 Like

All plant milks are heavy processed foods and by definition very unhealthy. Do as you wish but personally I would let drink plant milk ONLY my worst enemies lol

1 Like

Plant milk is not necessarily heavily processed. There are some local farms that make it along with tofu.

Hey Jensen… yes, I take even on low carb meals… I think Matt Kaeberlein mentioned there could be more benefit then just preventing glucose spikes from carbs. Not enough research yet. So, I take on all meals.

4 Likes

I think it makes sense to take with all meals, unless you’re literally just chugging olive oil. People have the misconception that Acarbose is just an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, but it also inhibits pancreatic production of alpha-amylase, and we know even small amounts of resistant starches in food improve health. Most real meals have some amount of starch in them, so I think it is worthwhile.

3 Likes

I’ve been on it for about 3-4 months and have lost 2 pounds. Like you, not trying to do so. And now that I think about it, it seems I am cinching my belt one hole tighter.

4 Likes

I am just finishing (as a subject) the year-long PEARL clinical trial using Rapamycin, where one of the principal endpoints is visceral fat, as measured in a DXA scan. I have seen a 30% drop in total-body visceral fat, from about 3.3 lb to 2.3 lb. I haven’t noticed a reduction in waist circumference, but visceral fat is deep within your body, around stomach, liver and intestines (and having less of it is definitely better).

8 Likes

How frequently do you exercise?

1 Like

During the last 6 months when I’ve seen most of this drop in visceral fat, my exercise has been very limited, due to an arm injury and the pressures of running a business. I do manage a small number (~50) squats per day while doing other things, and I’ve been getting out for a walk or hike at best once a week.

3 Likes

I have been taking acarbose for a year. There is no weight loss for me. I also have been taking rapamycin for pprox, 3 years now

3 Likes

Nice to know. Just started Acarbose. With Rapa my weight is stable and the same for years, but no matter how much I eat I have difficulty gaining weight.

1 Like

Could you please pass that problem on to me :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Many doctors and scientist are fond of debunking the association with genetics. My lifetime of observation tell me different. I was skinny as a child and have never had a problem losing weight if I overendulged for sometime. Yes, diets have a huge effect, but IMO it is also true that gentics plays a big factor in how hard it is to gain or lose weight. We all have some problem areas.

2 Likes

Could you share some more details and takeaways based on your experiences and speculations with the PERAL trial? Also, remind us what the design of the study and end points are. Are there any blood works that could be shared? Lastly, what is the reason that you are on Metformin? Thank you.

1 Like

For the PEARL trial, I’d first refer everyone to PEARL Trial to Prolong Life With Longevity Products | AgelessRx and to CTG Labs - NCBI where the study design and endpoints are described. This was a randomized, double-blind clinical trial with three arms of about 50 subjects each: Rapamycin 10mg, rapamycin 5mg, and a placebo pill, each taken once weekly. “Visceral fat changes from baseline as determined by DXA scan” was the primary endpoint, but many other results from DXA scans and blood tests were measured, and should be reported when the study is published.

It’s not yet officially “unblinded”, but based on results (like my drop in visceral fat) I’m pretty sure I was in one of the treatment arms. I do have before-and-after CBC and lipid panels, and I did see a rise in LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and total cholesterol (all from “very good” to “higher but within the reference range”) while my HDL stayed constant. I was NOT on metformin during the 12-month PEARL trial, at the study’s request because it could be hard to separate the effects of rapamycin and metformin. But I had taken low-dose metformin before the trial, and I’ve resumed taking metformin after the trial, because of the evidence for its anti-aging benefits.

4 Likes

Amen brother. Of same opinion here also. Wondering how much metformin do you take?

Currently 250mg once per day (splitting 500mg tablets in half).

1 Like

Sounds like what I’ll start doing myself.