Rapamycin / MTOR Rebound effect in 3/12 non-GF and non-Keto patients

This paper has stuck in my mind for quite a while. So, with it gaining more attention lately, I contacted both the lead author and the senior author for clarification on a few points.

For context, the protocols in this paper were written over twenty years ago, with participants enrolling between October 2004 and November 2008. The lead author has also moved to a different institution in the interim. All that is to say, the original data is not easy to come by and both of them responded from memory. Here’s a summary of what I’ve garnered from the exchange:

The paper mentions that 6 of 12 participants exhibited a rebound of phospho-p70S6K. This data came from the sirolimus-alone study, which Supplementary Table 1 describes as having 40 total patients. How were these 12 subjects selected from the broader pool of 40?

Most Likely Explanation: The rebound analysis was performed in participants where viable measurements were taken at a sufficient number of time points.

The paper also mentions that the rebound was “driven by the concentration of sirolimus”. Does this mean that higher doses were more likely to cause a rebound?

Most Likely Explanation: Higher concentration = more rebound. No other characteristics (again, working from memory here) predicted a rebound.

I want to highlight that the lowest dose used in this wing of the study was 10 mg. The higher doses—the ones that predicted a rebound—were much higher. Here’s Table 4 from the paper:

Dose cohort (mg) N Tmax, h (SD) Cmax, ng/mL (SD) AUC, ng x h/mL (SD)
10 6 2.3 (0.01) 9.67 (2.48) 615 (130)
20 7 2.3 (0.09) 19.27 (5.69) 1,084 (581)
30 6 2.3 (0.16) 43.47 (8.43) 2,713 (1,346)
60 8 2.2 (0.16) 57.72 (22.6) 3,142 (1,680)
30, 4 hours apart (total 60 mg) 5 2.2 (0.17) 32.93 (10.7) 2,054 (1,123)
30, 24 hours apart (total 60 mg) 3 2.3 (0.17) 83.87 (18.8) 3,677 (1,460)
45, 24 hours apart (total 90 mg) 2 2.1 (0.02) 42.75 (0.08) 3,356 (138)

Here’s my takeaway: strongly inhibiting mTOR with high doses of rapamycin (e.g. 30 and 60 mg) can cause mTOR to rebound above baseline values. Lower doses (e.g. 10 mg) are unlikely to stimulate a rebound.

Why?

Under normal conditions, mTORC1 inhibits a variety of related signaling pathways, including: IRS1/2, mTORC2, and IGFR. Inhibiting mTORC1 with rapamycin releases this negative feedback (Rozengurt et al. 2014). These over-activated pathways can then stimulate mTORC1 through, for example, AKT and MEK/ERK. Take a look at this simplified diagram to get a sense of the reciprocal feedback loops at play here:

(Rozengurt et al. 2014)

The proteins highlighted in yellow are the ones that mTORC1 usually inhibits (and that are released by treatment with rapamycin). Please note that this figure is a useful simplification—there are far more interactions than displayed here. I can go into more detail in a separate post if anyone is interested.

It appears that high doses of rapamycin (e.g. 30 and 60 mg) repress mTORC1 activity low enough to activate a variety of compensatory mechanisms. Think of it as the cell’s attempt to maintain homeostasis by upregulating mTOR. I speculate that, as the concentration of rapamycin decreases, these over-activated compensatory mechanisms overshoot in the opposite direction, causing a surge in mTORC1 activity (i.e. the mTOR rebound).

In that same vein, lower doses of rapamycin (e.g. 10 mg) don’t repress mTORC1 activity low enough to set off the full spectrum of compensatory action. As @Krister_Kauppi mentioned, these rebound dynamics not unique to mTOR:

Summary: the rapamycin doses that caused an mTOR rebound in (Cohen et al. 2012) are much higher (up to 90 mg) than the doses most of us use. If you’re taking doses below 20 mg, you probably don’t need to worry about this.

If you’re still reading (and still concerned), then consider pairing rapamycin with metformin.

Metformin inhibits mTORC1 without releasing negative feedback loops and overstimulating AKT. It stimulates AMPK by inhibiting mitochondrial complex I. AMPK then phosphorylates IRS-1 (Insulin Receptor Substrate 1), whereas rapamycin suppresses IRS-1 phosphorylation. Metformin also inhibits MEK/ERK in the presence of growth factors, while rapamycin activates MEK/ERK by releasing feedback inhibition (Rozengurt et al. 2014). In male NcZ10 mice, combining rapamycin and metformin corrected for their independent downsides (Reifsnyder et al. 2022). Similar results were seen with 4 weeks of combination treatment in male Balb/c mice (4–6 weeks old) (Albawardi et al. 2023).

27 Likes

Thanks for a great comprehensive piece on dosing rationale.

8 Likes

Pankaj Kapahi is doing daily dosing.

3 Likes

What about short courses of medium doses? Say, 3-6 mg/day for 3-7 days?

The ITP studies, of Rapamycin and Metformin combined, indicate support for this proposition.

@McAlister Thank you for doing the background research and for the quality and clarity of your analysis.

3 Likes

Using the excellent half-life calculator that @Leonard found, 7 days of 6 mg would look like this:

So, that dosing scheme would resemble a single 21 mg dose, but would step up to the peak much more gradually. As such, you probably wouldn’t need to worry about a rebound.

It’s feasible that this approach to dosing would spare your digestive tract from the negative effects of rapamycin that sometimes occur with doses ≥ 20 mg. Consider that, for any given dose, the intestines and colon are exposed to a much higher amount of rapamycin than what shows up in the blood.

For example, in C57BL/6 mice, consuming encapsulated oral rapamycin at 14 PPM (2.24 mg/kg) for 42 days yielded 303.5 PPB in the colon and 37.3 ng/mL of rapamycin in blood—a 8-fold decrease—while 42 PPM (6.72 mg/kg) yielded 687.3 PPB in the colon and 170.2 ng/mL in the blood—a 4-fold decrease (Dodds et al. 2016). For reference: 1 ng/mL = 1 PPB. The difference is simply whether the amount is measured in a liquid or solid tissue.

Separating each dose of rapamycin by 24 hours might allow the cells of your digestive tract to partially recover and, as a result, reduce the peak amount of rapamycin that they’re exposed to. I’m not aware of any data to that point, so the only readout I can recommend is the presence or absence of GI distress following your dose. It’s possible that this phenomenon occurs more broadly—that gradual dosing achieves a more uniform inhibition of mTORC1 without setting off compensatory mechanisms the way a single, higher dose could. I’m currently looking into this, but don’t have enough data to make an assessment. @desertshores has mentioned that cycled daily dosing has kept his bloodwork within healthy ranges, so that’s one data point.

9 Likes

What is the daily dosing?

1 Like

I think I remember in the interview krisper did that he took 1mg per day for a period of time and then took an equal amount of time off. I can’t remember if it was 7 or 14 days though. That’s when I started becoming interested in 0.5 mg per day based on my size. Hopefully someone remembers his exact schedule.

1 Like

Is it the high dose, or the resultant longer clearance time that causes rebound?

2 Likes

Since I’m having trouble finding it, where do you see the dosage given to the patients that had rebound?
And can we rule out rebound in doses around 6 mg if that wasn’t studied?

1 Like

1 mg/days for two weeks one week off or two weeks off if I remember it correctly.

Daily dosing makes more sense IMO, if you want to down regulate mTOR it should be done in what Blagosklonny says just pushing the break, you don’t want to stop it completely, just slow down the hyperfunction. If you take a large dose IMO you almost stop it and rebound is probably just the reaction to this complete stop. I also don’t believe that you need every tissue penetration (e.g. crossing the BBB for rapamycin to have a profound effect on hyperfunction and slowing down aging). I don’t believe you can stop or reverse aging, even on hypothetical level if the theory of aging as proposed by hyperfunction theory of aging has some merit. You can slow it down, some functions may appear rejuvenated, but the organism still ages and death is unavoidable.

5 Likes

Thank you! You are a superstar :star_struck:

4 Likes

What about mTORC2 being impacted too much in chronic dosing - in humans living in the real world and not in a sterile, safe lab environment where low mTORC2 may not matter as much?

2 Likes

I think what she’s suggesting, and that is being done by Pankaj Kapahi (who heads up a lab at the Buck Institute, is a geroscientist, and takes 1mg for a number of days, then takes breaks) is you take rapamycin at low dose (e.g. 1mg/day) for a number of days - eg. 7 days, then take a week break, etc. - so that should prevent, in theory, the problem of mTORC2 inhibition (and thus the immune suppression, and other negative side effects that are hypothesized as being caused by mTORC2 inhibition (lipid and glucose disregulation).

7 Likes

Got it, so perhaps one may have to chose two of these three (at least as of todays knowledge and conjectures):

• BBB penetration into CNS (large spikey doses (or constant repeated, daily high enough)
  • No rebound (avoid with big doses and/or avoid pauses in rapa)
  • Avoid mTORC2 inhibition (pauses in dosing)
1 Like

From what I remember Matt Kaeberlein and David Sabairi discussed this in PA podcast, they say rapamycin is not as strong at mTORC2 inhibition, that mTORC2 inhibition would be detrimental to life but luckily an organism needs only about 8-9% of mTORC2 to be active and since rapamycin is not an on/off switch any dosing schedule would seem ok from this perspective, which goes along with Blagosklonny’s thinking, that mTORC2 inhibition is not possible in humans. And here we are again at drawing board, which doses for preventing of which (age related) disease and on the other end limiting unwanted side effects.

4 Likes

Thanks @scta123 . I wonder if that is ok for lab mice or humans that chose to live in a sterile environment. But for the real world with all kinds of infections, etc, I wonder if rapa based immune suppression in organ transplantation is not an indication that too much, even if perhaps not complete, mTORC2 lowering has health risks for humans?

2 Likes

That has to be the case, I think. We have an example here with our forum member @LaraPo who is taking rapamycin at 1mg/day (I believe) to lower suppress her immune system and prevent organ transplant rejection (kidney). She takes many precautions to avoid potentially infectious environments (crowds, etc.) because she has (I assume) been warned by doctors that she is at increased risk of infection.

4 Likes

Rapamycin is a very weak mTORC2 inhibitor.

I believe it is a very specific immune response that is involved in preventing organ rejection, inhibition of T cell proliferation in response to IL-2. All the potential immune suppression is due to mTORC1 inhibition that is necessary for activation, migration of immune cells, cytokine production, antibody production etc. If mTORC1 is inhibited it might affect this cellular activities.

1 Like

While some data shows that in cancer patients treated with mTOR inhibitors there is an increased risk of infections the analysis of the data available from mouse and human studies shows:

Our results show that immunomodulation caused by rapamycin treatment is beneficial to the survival from acute infection.

4 Likes