Rapamycin lowers testosterone?

I just noticed that my T has actually improved slightly. First results in April 2019 at age 45 Pre-Rapamycin.

Versus recently with Rapamycin age 49.

Coincidence? Hmmmm.
Lifestyle-wise very similar. Eat right, exercise, sleep etc.

3 Likes

That could be testing noise.

2 Likes

Agreed, but is a data point regardless and worth sharing. Especially since this thread is asking if Rapa lowers T. Will keep measuring once a year and we will see. Certainly aware of confirmation bias.

One advantage of weekly blood tests is that you can see what level of changes are noise and what are trends. I do use different labs and some times you can see for some biomarkers that different labs seem to get different results. I don’t think that is the case for Testosterone.

These are my recent results for testosterone in nmol/L. (The range quoted for the last lab was 6.68-25.7)

15.6 20.8 17.35 16 19.5 18.3 18.35 17.7 17.6 16.22 15.9

1 Like

I had my blood taken for testosterone testing Friday. My 2 prior July tests (see above) had me at or above the high normal range and my doctor was concerned. So we measured again, in a low sunlight dank New England winter.

Results below. I have dipped back into normal range but I am still at the high end of the ranges, particularly given my age (69).

N=1, rapamycin did not decrease testosterone. (I doubt that it increased it but no way to tell). Perhaps it preserves levels by enhancing lean body mass, etc.

Maybe I am an anomaly, but some things I have done and don’t do over the past decade that may help prevent testosterone decline:

1. 25 mg DHEA daily
  2. 25-50 mg Zinc daily
  3. Exercise - both aerobic (running every other day but only 12-15 miles per week) and strength training twice a week. Generally not a day goes by that I don’t do an activity. But a lot of that is low level stuff like yard work.
  4. Melatonin
  5. 100 mg aspirin
  6. Rapamycin the past 2 years. Currently doing 8mg every 10 days or so.
    *Like most folks on here, I add and drop a range of supplements

Not Take:

1. Statins (gave me muscle pain)
  2. finasteride (I started a low dose to head off prostrate growth. But quickly dropped it as I thought it might upset my hormonal balance).

Good and bad lifestyle habits

1. Retired - time to devote to healthy habits
  2. Sleep quality declined some - but not bad
  3. I drink alcohol daily - 2 drinks. Rarely beyond that.
  4. Eat within a 10 hour window. Eat all healthy foods including carbs but make sure I eat plenty of protein. I have a bowl of ice cream an hour before bed most nights.
  5. I am 6’ 188 lbs. That has been my stable weight the past decade. But my belt has gone in a notch since on rapamycin (2 years)
  6. No family history of heart disease or diabetes

My blood tests are within normal ranges generally. But my cholesterol levels would be considered high by most people on this forum.

I measure my aging primarily by how I compare to my younger self. So by that measure I use things like 5k run time (slower but nothing like a nose dive). And I can do more proper pull-ups (15) than I could a decade ago.

By luck or design I expect my youthful activities to continue deep into my next decade. Anyone else having a similar experience? Or is a drop-off more realistic? I am counting on testosterone levels staying at a high level and not dropping off. As well as continuing rapamycin.

Results:

5 Likes