Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

Anecdotal- I have been using rapamycin topical and seeing as though I have a very receding hairline l have been applying it onto my bald spot.

Not a scientific study but man am I seeing fill in growth

Ageless RX has topical.

Seems to be reducing wrinkles as well

Thanks for all the great conversation on this forum

Marshall

7 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forums. Thanks for posting.

I know its a bit of a hassle, but it would be really great if you could post some photos… ideally pre and post treatment, but given you’ve already started perhaps just tracking photos every month for a few months…

Please try to get closeups and consistent angle and lighting so that the photos are comparable…

3 Likes

Thanks. Will do. I was kind of surprised, but I’m at the point where there’s absolutely no doubt. I didn’t even think of taking pre-photos.
Best. Marshall

2 Likes

How much rapamycin contains the cream you use? Thnks

1 Like

Is that this one https://agelessrx.com/powers-hair-solution/

Or something different?

That doesn’t contain rapamycin

my mistake. Not AglessRX

Healthspan

2 Likes

Do you mean that you started to get black hair after 2 months of rapamycin alone, or rapamycin combined with red light?

Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t think the rapamycin cream is going to work on people’s scalps if there is any hair there already, as its going to be like putting hand cream in your hair… a bit of a mess.

Better to make your own rapamycin spray on tonic like @desertshores has done… he mixes rapamycin (crushed tablets) with some transcutol and whatever else you may want in your tonic, and sprays it on. This lightweight liquid is probably much more suitable for scalps that have some hair still and you just want more, or want to work on reversing gray hair.

2 Likes

That looks pretty interesting… and inclusive… just add rapamycin to it and perhaps its an even better solution?

6 Likes

Another new area of research:

Full Paper here:

3 Likes

In the original mouse study posted at the very top of this thread, they indicate that Rapamycin and Alpha KG are more effective than Metformin for hair growth, and also that extremely high doses of topical Rapamycin caused wounds and hair loss, not gain.

The science seems to be that MTOR is needed for hair growth, but by temporarily inhibiting MTOR, you can initiate a new growth phase. The mice were treated every other day, not every day. I’m wondering if anyone here has tried using intermittent topical Rapamycin, instead of daily…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Is anyone using a formula that includes cyclosporine topically?

If anyone is looking for a neutral carrier solution I found one on the Anagen Inc. Website. Anagen sells a variety of research chemicals.The carrier solution is designed to carry RU58841 which is an anti-androgen used for hair loss. The ingredients are: Demineralized water, Ethanol, K+B Emulsifiers, which are cosmetic ingredients used in hair and other products:

3 Likes

If I can understand this correctly and summarize the 415 posts thus far:

The people who are generally seeing real hair regrown are using some sort of DHT blocker (like finasteride at 1mg daily) either topical or oral, along with minoxidil (generally 5% topical in 3ml used over several weeks 1x or 2x daily) and possibly other ingredients? — this has already been proven as a successful hair re-growth strategy within six months treatment for years, and we are Re-proving it works.

Some people have added Rapamycin to this (it sounds like 6mg of Rapamycin in 1ml DMSO added to 3ml of 5% minoxidil solution for a total 4ml solution with 1mg oral finasteride) and are seeing even batter results, or possibly even renewed colored hair? — this strategy is new. This seems to speed regrown as well.

Oral Rapamycin alone doesn’t seem to regrow hair even after several years of application. Neither does topical (skin) applied Rapamycin alone. People on this forum have been doing this for years with little result.

And some people are using DMSO in their mix (generally to dissolve the Rapamycin) which appears to open the hair shaft and “stain” the hair with the colors of the other components (resveretrol, metformin, rosemary, etc), generally light brown.

More minoxidil for a short initiation period works well. More finasteride seems to be detrimental to mood/function. More Rapamycin seems to counteract the effectiveness.

Is this a fair summary?

7 Likes

Correct! You nailed it!

1 Like

I am not using a DHT blocker.

2 Likes

I apologize, @John_Hemming — I didn’t see a specific formulation from you (perhaps I missed it) but I saw a question you had posted to @Agetron in November 2022 regarding if he used DHT blockers (specifically finasteride) and made an incorrect assumption this was your formulation/protocol as well.

No DHT blockers for you (or your patients), but are you seeing strong hair regrown results? — I saw several pictures you had posted with several new colored hairs, and you mentioned there were very fine hairs coming in (as well as “fast red hairs” which came and went) but I wasn’t able to tell if you were getting the full hair regrowth seen by others, or which has been already demonstrated off this site for years by using DHT blockers + minoxidil.

(Forgive me if this isn’t information you hadn’t wanted to share).

I am interested because I will likely need to start something like this in the next five years, and I keep seeing and hearing that without a DHT blocker you will just be holding the line (instead of new hair Re growth) I don’t have a prostate issue which I am aware (although being male, perhaps it is just a matter of time) and I don’t love the potential finasteride side effects described; Maybe topical would reduce side effects, but another person on this thread mentioned that the blood serum levels of finasteride were higher with topical application than with oral supplementation (go figure).

FWIW

“If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late.” ~ Seth Godin

2 Likes