Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

They used 10% metformin.

Have been on it two weeks, combined with AKG.

The paper below says it is the autophagy that regrows hair. They have tried AKG and oligomycin, applied topically, on aged mice.

1 Like

I believe this is relevant due to the fact that Rapamycin mimics fasting and turning off Mtor. This is exactly what dhannyboyd may be talking about since they are doing one meal a day or intermitent fasting which is what Bryan Johnson is doing. So taking Rapamycin can reverse grey hair but anything that turns off Mtor does the same thing.

Your thoughts?

3 Likes

It is because the cells are more efficient that this happens. Rapamycin in inhibiting mTOR encourages autophagy. When cells recycle the mitochondria they become more efficient.

In 2 years of rapamycin use, I’ve seen no reversal of my grey hair.

3 Likes

He seems to only update changes to his protocol in the monthly notes section. He has rapamycin on his list of supplements in the supplements/diet section - see here (right side of image) 13mg once every two weeks:

3 Likes

Just to note - this is topical metformin they are describing, not the more typical oral consumption of metformin.

1 Like

Interesting I have the Platinum LED red lights. My experience is the opposite the make me happy!

2 Likes

Looks like fisetin may also be a viable intervention.

Must give credit where it is due. I discovered that from a post at age reversal forum.

2 Likes

Andrew Huberman did a deep dive on this subject in his podcast from 10th April. Well worth a listen.

Interesting was the point about topical Finasteride showing much higher blood stream concentration than oral. Makes me wonder if those using a Rapa cream on the scalp are also achieving higher levels in the blood so daily use might result in much higher trough levels than expected.

3 Likes

FWIW

I have stated this in another thread.

Dissolve rapamycin in DMSO, paint your wrist area{the radial artery area] with this solution, You will absorb the rapamycin systemically.

3 Likes

It’s possible, but I don’t think there’s a big risk. It would likely depend on the concentration of rapamycin cream that one would use, as well as what the rapa is dissolved in, ie. DMSO or Transcutol, which have different efficiencies of getting the drug into the bloodstream.

For example, the Drexel study used a 0.001% solution. This would be approximately 0.6 mg dissolved in 60 g of lotion. I seem to use around 1.5 g of rapa lotion per day, applying once at night before bed. This would correspond to 0.01 mg/day of additional rapamycin using the Drexel study concentration.

For my latest batch of face cream, I dissolved 16 mg in 60 grams of lotion (with Transcutol) for a 0.027% concentration. At 1.5 g, this corresponds to about 0.4 mg applied to the skin each day. Transcutol supposedly doesn’t allow the drug to be absorbed into the skin as well as DMSO, so the risk is low that it would increase trough levels. Even if you used DMSO, it’s tough to say if it would absorb the same amount into the bloodstream as taking it orally.

For my own N=1 experiment, I had my trough level tested a couple of weeks ago and had used the 0.027% cream the two previous nights. My trough level was 0.7 ng/mL, right within the normal range.

6 Likes

We’ll done for testing for the benefit of everyone else here who uses a Rapa cream ( I don’t).

Back to the main topic heading, I thoroughly recommend anyone with a receding hairline who wants to do something about it to listen to that Huberman podcast.

I am Rituparn
New to the forum. Is this red light a low flicker light emitting diode ,or otherwise

1 Like

The huberman lab podcast about hairloss/growth is really bad.

See: https://youtu.be/cR8qE8AEoaQ

Anyone who is losing hair from AGA, just watch the small youtubers, they give you the gist of it that you need to fight the losing battle.

But basically you need to get rid of the androgens binding to the HF, therefore 1mg Finasteride/0.5mg dutasteride are great, because they reduce DHT (the most androgenic hormone) by ~70% and ~90% respectively.

Next step would be to address the other androgens also binding to the HF, albeit weakly. Here come topical anti androgens. I.e. spironolactone, clascoterone, ketoconazole, ru58841, pyrilutamide.

After addressing the androgens and you still aren’t happy with the results, then you think about adding growth stimulants: topical/oral minoxidil, topical ceterizine, rapamycin, oral castor oil, LLLT, etc.

2 Likes

Mast cells appear to be central to the process of hair loss.

2 Likes

Have you checked out Ralf Paus’ piece on the relationship between mTORC1 and the graying of hair?

2 Likes

Its a good video. He highlights the role of epigenetics.

1 Like

I’m open to financially supporting any research that tackles hair graying. I wonder if he has any insights about RT1640? Should we invite him to discuss this further, @RapAdmin?

1 Like

What you should do depend upon how much money you might put into this. If you are talking Milllions then talk direct, but otherwise it might be best to talk to hairDAO who are already funding work with him. (and did the video).

I have my own protocol that deals with this, but I am not looking for any funding for the research (although when I apply for jurisdictional patents next year I may look for some funding for some of those as there are rather a lot). I ask people to sign an NDA and disclaimer and then offer biohacking support.

2 Likes

There is a “hairDAO” now… wow, a DAO for everything these days… good to hear.

1 Like