Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

Nice. Hoping you get the same success. I don’t want to be an N=1… be a 2!

1 Like

What is remarkable to me about your results is how quickly you have gotten good hair growth. Most of what I read says it takes 6-12 months to see results.

3 Likes

When you finish your shower but before you put on the tonic (ie: freshly shampooed hair with nothing added), it the texture of your hair better than before you started the tonic, or is the change only when the tonic is in your hair? Also, is there any change in the color, or is the color enhancement 100% from the tonic being in it, and then washes back out?

1 Like

Indeed the results are great… I tend to respond well to most medications… like Rapamycin, finasteride, and such. No real side effects.

Today…top down on my sportscar… hair blows around and is thick, blonde… tousled… not balding.

1 Like

DyingSucks – When you finish your shower but before you put on the tonic (ie: freshly shampooed hair with nothing added), it the texture of your hair better than before you started the tonic, or is the change only when the tonic is in your hair? Also, is there any change in the color, or is the color enhancement 100% from the tonic being in it, and then washes back out?

Just went upstairs to take a pic of my shampoo. Nioxin. This cleanses super deep… gets all the scalp sebum out. After shampooing twice… my scalp and hair is squeaky clean. I do not put any conditioner on my hair… just shampooed… rinsed thoroughly with water.

I then towel dry…all over… and my hair feels great and the tinted color is still there… kinda stained in. I notice it seems to be cumulative with each application my hair is less grey and more blonde. Actually, I have no grey.

Tonight I caught my wife several times just staring at my hair…ummm… I think she’s confounded… she knows I won’t color my hair (she does)… and my silver is all blonde.

Certainly after applying the tonic… my hair is wet and slick…I let it sit a few minutes while lotioning my skin… bo juice and such…but after toweling the tonic in… my hair dries non-greasy, not oily… fluffy and very manageable when combed. My hair is definitely softer… like detangler because after towel drying… it combs with no snarls.

Unlike when I towel it dry after my shower and pre,-tonic… the front does tangle some… so I use a brush carefully.

Super soft right now bedtime… used tonic this am.

3 Likes

May 1, 2022 OMG! Not only is my hair now thicker, healthier…but the residual material on my forehead skin has it less wrinkled and healthier too. An unexpected extra.

4 Likes

another new up-and-coming hair therapy?

and for graying…

2 Likes

FDA approves another drug for hair loss. Watch this youtube.

https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/alopecia/alopecia-areata-treatment-trials

1 Like

Looks like Bret King needs to use some of his own product. :smile:

3 Likes

Both this paper and this one independently show that topical rapamycin of 2 μM concentration applied every other day promotes hair regeneration, While 16μM-20 μM actually prevents hair regeneration presumably due to excessive mTOR inhibition making the HFSC (hair follicle stem cell) unable to activate.

Based on the info in this page (in the ‘preparing stock solutions’ section) a 2 μM concentration is equivalent to 0.0002% rapamycin concentration, And the 20 μM which impeded hair regeneration is equivalent to 0.002%!

What this indicates is that 0.002% or even a 0.001% is counterproductive and is negatively impacting hair regeneration. The optimal dose is 0.0002% every other day like the study (Or 0.0001% every day), Maybe 0.0002% every day as a max.

In addition, These mice were not taking systemic rapamycin. So someone that taking weekly rapamycin might need even fewer concentrations or less frequent topical dosing (0.0001% every other day perhaps?, Or even less). Or maybe they don’t even need any topical therapy given how such a tiny topical concentration is needed for hair regeneration or even impedes it. So many questions.

However even those taking large doses of weekly rapa or even daily dosing still grow their normal hair. It’s not like it stops growing, So I’m not sure what’s going on. The whole thing is confusing.

6 Likes

Well this really puts an interesting wrinkle on things. It appears the concentration I’ve been making is in the impeding range and I’ve been doing it every day (for about a month now).

2 Likes

If we postulate that Rapamycin’s mechanism of action is to improve mitochondrial quality one would assume that topical usage might be best every week or fortnight rather than daily.

2 Likes

Well now I’m reconsidering if I should go for .0001% every other day or possibly stick with my .001% but just do it once a week on the same day as my oral dose.

I (unsurprisingly) would probably go for the same schedule as the oral dose. Clearly if you inhibit mTOR too much hair does not grow (nor does anything else). I would assume the half life of topical is at least as long as serum although possibly longer as the blood flow is less.

1 Like

Instead of crushing some EGCG tablets, maybe a green tea tincture may be easier to mix.

It doesn’t seem that these tinctures specify the precise ECGC amount, or perhaps only some of them do:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/nature-s-answer-green-tea-extract-alcohol-free-2-000-mg-1-fl-oz-30-ml/5226

1 Like

good news in the longer term?

2 Likes

I apologize if this a very stupid question in a thread with almost 300 messages!

BUT, I am wondering if there are any side-effects from minoxidil that are undesirable? Both generally, and from a longevity perspective.

My current regimen is pretty benign but also perhaps not very effective — I use topical 17alpha-estradiol, tretinoin, and ketoconazole. I plan to use rapa when I have access to it again.

1 Like

Here’s a google answer
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/minoxidil-topical-route/side-effects/drg-20068750?p=1

My understanding of minoxidil is that it improves circulation and that spreads around the SASP that emanates from the patches of baldness. Hence some of the cells start functioning again. It remains my view that the key chemical is the cytokine IL-10. However, I think I am the only person who says this as part of a generalised longevity hypothesis.

Personally I would not like to take minoxidil in the long term, but I can see short term merits in sorting out patches of senescence in the body.

2 Likes

Ankle swelling for a month and an half was my only side effect. The article on the research at the start of this topic indicated 3% had this side effect.

Blood Pressure which has always run a bit higher…lowered a few points which was actually pretty positive. I went from 135 over 78 to 127 over 72. and hair grew back on crown and everywhere else in 6 months.