Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

I noticed the tint but haven’t gotten comments from the long haired general (yet). No oral minox though I am ordering some 2.5mg from my indiamart supplier. I have had some edema in the past and will pull the rip cord quickly if I get more.

2 Likes

Yeah. My grey gone blonde is impressive.
So natural and I look a decade younger.

1 Like

Found this today at agelessrx.com
DHT Inhibitors for Hair Loss Treatment & Regrowth

When it comes to fighting hair loss, the two most prolific drugs and those most commonly used in the treatment are Minoxidil and Finasteride. At least, that has been the case for the last several decades–until now. There has been a bit of a revolution in the field of hair regrowth over the past couple of years. Keep reading…

Finasteride, while potent, comes with a host of rather unpleasant side effects when taken orally. In response, researchers have discovered an alternative, called dutasteride. Both medications were originally approved for the treatment of enlarged prostate and urination retention.

Then, in 1997, American drug manufacturer Merck & Co released finasteride into the zeitgeist as the active ingredient in Propecia – the brand’s answer to male pattern baldness. Dutasteride received its own FDA approval for scalp hair loss just four years later in 2001, and “has been found in several studies to induce hair regrowth in men more rapidly and to a greater extent than even the highest approved dosage of finasteride.”

A 2017 comparative review published similar findings, noting that an “increase in total hair count per cm[2] representing new growth was significantly higher in dutasteride group (baseline- 223 hair; at 24 weeks- 246 hair) compared to finasteride group (baseline- 227 hair; at 24 weeks- 231 hair).” The converse was also true. In addition to new, quality growth, the Dutasteride group demonstrated a decrease in thin hair count per cm[2].

Finasteride and Dutasteride are 5α-Reductase inhibitors (5-ARIs), also known as dihydrotestosterone (DHT) blockers. DHT is a hormone created in the body as a result of testosterone conversion that effectively shrinks hair follicle receptors in the scalp.

Dutasteride is the more efficient treatment for hair loss and regrowth because it is the more complete compound. While finasteride is selective for type II 5AR, dutasteride inhibits both type I and type II.

3 Likes

What they failed to mention is that there is a trade off. Dutasteride is a lot more likely to cause side effects, as it completely crushes your DHT. On the hair loss forums, it’s clear dutasteride is superior to finasteride- most don’t take it every day and also cycle off of it.

1 Like

What is the consensus regarding topical vs. oral use of dutasteride and finasteride?
The side effects of both medications, when taken orally/systemically, can be bad. Wondering if topical maybe a better risk/reward tradeoff.

2 Likes

The jury is still out on topicals from everything I’ve read.

The rap on finasteride is overblown and, most doctors think, anecdotal/power of suggestion. That and aggressive lawyers who smell class action. Everyone who has an erection fail who is on finasteride immediately thinks that’s the cause.

The sides from dutasteride are seemingly more real- makes sense, as it’s like 95% DHT shutdown vs 65% (if memory serves). Still, again from hair loss forums, seems most don’t have problems with dutasteride and see better results than with finasteride. Again, /tressless has great information and motivational before/after/in between photos.

Frankly, only a hair transplant is going to give me back the “W” recession area in front. Still, before doing so, I’ve considered giving the all out assault of: dutasteride, loniten combo with weekly microneedling (with the rapa, metformin, ECGC topical) and, for good measure, low level laser light therapy as well.

Truth is, ALL of these are proven to work to varying levels (except for the rapa concoction). How additive are they when all used aggressively together? idk. However, I imagine, except for modest improvement, I’d be spinning my wheels because the area I am targeting is the front- where only hyper responders really get back any significant amount (If you are a hyper responder though, the results are unbelievable).

Now, if I had lost a lot on top, I would definitely take this aggressive approach, as I believe it would make a noticeable difference. Younger men tend to do better, but, as we’ve seen from @Agetron crown area, just loniten filled things in nicely. I don’t recall him even being on finasteride (?).

The whole protocol is pretty cheap and the iRestore type laser products have 6 month return policies- so, why not.

4 Likes

Anti-androgen drugs like finasteride and dutasteride are a lot more effective orally than topically. This is both in studies and littered anecdotally in online forums.

Funnily though, oral minoxidil has been shown to be more effective than topical application… But also has very severe potential side effects that make any sides from finasteride and dutasteride look like nothing.

Also I agree with what DyingSucks said. I’ve been on finasteride for about 3 years and have had no noticeable side effects at all if you want to add that to the anecdotal pot.

Another topical to look out for is pyrilutamide. iirc it’s only to be used as a topical and binds to the dht on the scalp, so it attacks hair loss from a different angle to finasteride and dutasteride. A Chinese company by the name of Kintor has their formula undergoing phase 3 clinical trials in both China and the US, so something to look out for on the horizon.

5 Likes

DyingSucks - don’t recall him even being on finasteride (?).

Yes been on finasteride since I was in my early 30’s about 32 years. Never had any issues in all those years… urologist says my prostate gland is amazing… size of a guy in his 20’s.

As to sexual function issues… no effect at all.
All normal.

3 Likes

Saw this summary on ConsumerLab.com on hair growth drugs:

Linked research pubs:

5 Likes

Hi Agetron. Super nice posts, your journey is amazing. What is your Finasteride routine for prostate health? Thx

3 Likes

My Finasteride/Proscar routine is take one 5mg pill every other day. It is built up in my system so can take it less often. Initially did one 5 mg pill a day . Since in my early 30’s… so for at least 30 years.

Great prostate gland size and health according to my urologist… small prostate.

Also, no issues with ED… or any side effects.

1 Like

Thank you. Great news for you!

2 Likes

Wow. I didn’t realize that you were actually taking the Proscar dose (5mg) vs the finasteride (1mg)- you’re taking 1/2 the proscar dose, but, still, that’s a LOT. I don’t know if you have any potential downside at that dose for decades, but your dosing is certainly overkill if you’re only taking it for your hair. Because it doesn’t inhibit both receptors (like dutasteride does), you already max out on DHT inhibition around 65% on a much lower dose.

There’s research to suggest that even 1mg/day isn’t needed after the initial build up period. Many take just 1mg 3x/week.

I get the 5mg and use a pill splitter to cut it in 4ths for ~1.25/dose (I started doing this long ago when there was no generic propecia and 5mg proscar pills sold for much less per pill than 1mg propercia).

Anyways, like you, I’ve been taking this for like 25 years with ~7 of those years being 1.25mg 3x/week. My prostate is small as well.

2 Likes

Yes. Why I skip the finasteride every few days…

1 Like

Age. Prior to the magic tonic you are compounding. What “hair loss” drugs were you taking? Seems like- Propecia + dose, we’re you on any oral or topical Minoxidil? Just trying to back into if Rapa had much of an isolated effect. The results since May clearly say that point forward something changed.

1 Like

To clarify.
I started finasteride at age of 33 because I noticed hair thinning on front and top… that stabilized my hair and some regrowth occurred. I would use Minoxidol 2% off and on for a few months over the years. Minoxidol made my hair dry and straw like and scalp dry too.

Prior to May 2022 was not doing anything for hair… except finasteride every other day. Had been on Rapamycin for 1 year 8 months at this point. Noticed arm and leg hair was already thickening… regrowing… due to Rapamycin.

My hair reached the point of noticeable thinning… like when I was 33 years. I decided to go on 5% Minoxidol now available… and kick it up a bit with rapamycin… added some DMSO to dissolve rapamycin and make it permeate the skin. Then added in finasteride and Metformin. This tonic… made my scalp itchy dry and flaky and my hair like straw.

Added EGCG and Resveratrol which was soothing to my scalp… and enriched my hair. I also started orally 5 mg Minoxidol in mid June. so about 2 months oral Minoxidol. Cut back to 2.5 mg when ankles swelled… after a month… Now back on 5mg. All good.

A staff member of 8 years… asked a few minutes ago if I was coloring my hair… he wasn’t sure as all my streaks were there… but the grey was blonde.

He said he really noticed because I was sitting next to a younger colleague with solid silver and white hair. He said the contrast in looking at us side by side made him realize how much younger and healthier my hair was… compared to the colleague. But my hair didn’t look dyed… all natural. Lol I explained my hair had a glaze from my tonic. He added… your bald spot on top is gone… yep!

I do think the topical tonic is helping with both the oral 5 mg minoxidol and 2mg finasteride - but even if the topical tonic is not adding hair - it is making my scalp feel better and I have this amazing rich colored, healthy hair - that looks 100% natural (streaks and all).Definitely going to keep using it.

5 Likes

Awesome!! Rapa and oral Minoxidil seem to be change agents vs Propecia baseline you had used. Super results!!

2 Likes

This is fascinating. I never knew I could take less finasteride. I have been doing 1 MG for a long time. I’m sure my hair has thinned since, but I started early and nothing is noticeable. Maybe I will switch to three times a week.

3 Likes

Awesome!! Rapa and oral Minoxidil seem to be change agents…

It is really getting thick now.
I like the scalp benefits of the tonic. And, that natural shine and glow is like a young man’s hair.

3 Likes

That’s awesome. The interesting part is it really appears to have regrowth with thickening, rather than just thickening.

I have started a Rapa headshot with the dmso. I’ll look to add some minoxidil.

Thanks for all your sharing. Great stuff. I’ll chime in after a month…

2 Likes