Rapamycin experience - Placebo or Possible Impacts:

Close to 4 weeks of weekly 4mg Sirolimus doses.

• Minor mouth sores.

• Slight rash on arm.

• VO2 Max (as measured via Apple Watch) up from 40.1 to 43.7 with no other real change in diet or training. Months of baseline data, so the increase is solid. I’m a 10K + steps a day person.

2 Likes

I recognize the side effects…

Not sure how accurate the vo2max is from an apple watch. I have done the physiology lab VO2max and find it hard to believe that the watch could achieve much accuracy. Keep tracking it, and perhaps get a real lab vo2max.

I think for most people it takes a minimum of 6 months to start feeling a difference.

1 Like

Has you body weight changed? VO2 max is O2 per minute per Kg so if the latter decreases VO2 increases…

That said, I wouldn’t trust an Apple Watch to provide accurate data in this regard.

Have you seen other changes since that last report?
How has your rapamycin experience gone since then?

Just came across this story, and while it doesn’t explain the change you saw in your Apple Watch numbers, it is a cautionary tale about not over-relying on your Apple Watch Vo2Max numbers:

One statistic the Apple Watch tracks is an estimate of my VO2 max, the maximum amount of oxygen consumed during intense exercise. Many health experts consider it the single best indicator of cardiorespiratory fitness, and research has found that it correlates to longevity as well. In fact, the American Heart Association says fitness level should be considered a vital sign.

VO2 max is measured in milliliters of oxygen a minute per kilogram of body weight. To know your true number, you have to exercise intensely while wearing a mask that measures oxygen consumption. The more oxygen you burn, the fitter you are.

The Apple Watch, of course, doesn’t include an oxygen mask. Instead, it looks at heart rate, weight, age, other personal information, and walking or running speed to make an estimate of VO2 max. My watch tells me I have a VO2 max of 39.4, which it says is high for a 66-year-old man. Higher is better for this score, so that sounds good to me.

A resting person consumes 3.5 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram, which is called a MET. According to my Apple Watch score, I am capable of burning nearly 11.2 times that amount, or 11.2 METs. The more you can burn, the better your fitness. Apple says its estimates are accurate on average within one MET.

I should have stopped there, but I didn’t. I wanted to test out the Apple Watch’s accuracy. So I took an actual VO2 max test at a local sports medicine center for $200. No, insurance didn’t cover it.

But the test isn’t just measuring effort, it is measuring how high your oxygen consumption goes before it plateaus. Mine stopped rising at 34.6 milliliters per kilogram of weight, below the 39.4 score estimated by my watch.

Whereas I was hoping my Apple Watch had underestimated my fitness, it had actually overestimated it by roughly 1.3 METs. That is a bit more than the average error cited by Apple, but still in the ballpark.

Bottom line: My fitness level is above average, but it’s nothing stellar either. According to the Marathoner handbook table, I’m in the 75th percentile for my age. That means I’m in good health (knock on wood), but my fitness is way below the levels of a competitive endurance athlete my age.

2 Likes