Rapamycin Exacerbates Staphylococcus aureus Pneumonia by Inhibiting mTOR-RPS6 in Macrophages

Rapamycin definitely is not good in all situations…

Results: Rapa exacerbated S. aureus pneumonia in mouse models, promoting chemokines secretion and inflammatory cells infiltration in lung.

Conclusion: Rapa exacerbates S. aureus pneumonia by increasing the inflammatory levels of macrophages. Inhibition of mTOR-RPS6 pathway upregulates the expression of cytokines and chemokines in macrophages, thus increases inflammatory cells infiltration and exacerbates tissue damage.

Source Paper: Rapamycin Exacerbates Staphylococcus aureus Pneumonia by Inhibiting mT | JIR

They did not test the effect of rapamycin in vivo only in vitro, for some odd reason they used mice with mtor knock-out in the myeloid cells instead of giving rapamycin to regular mice

3 Likes

Now this, @RapAdmin, gives me pause. Of all the potential pros and cons of taking Rapa for anything, the possibility of contracting an aggressive form of Staph aureus may outweigh all other considerations. The stuff can be found on any surface in even the cleanest hospitals, and it is virtually ineradicable. Yikes.

1 Like

Like I said they didn’t even test rapamycin in vivo, only in vitro, for the in vivo model they used myeloid tissue mtor knock-out mice not rapamycin! In vivo rapamycin in mice attenuates lung damage

4 Likes

@Arhu, thanks for clarifying. However, one of these papers says that Rapa “conferred only modest protection against mortality.” And the microbe was Streptococcus pneumonia, not Staph aureus. Staph is the stuff that freaks me out.

1 Like