Rapamycin Dosing With Prostate Procedure, Question

Hmmm… maybe try finasteride first?
My 90 year old father-in-law had issues peeing - of course. He sees the same urologist as me and was put him on finasteride - after a month significantly better.

For me, Finasteride caused some ED, so it was a no go.

1 Like

Yes. That would be a problem… everyone is different.

I have an active libido and no issues. Note: my urologist also recommended daily 2mg tadalafil for urinary health about 1.5 years ago. So… always ready!

1 Like

Have you tried taking the minimum effective dose? I had a similar issue when I was prescribed Tamsulosin for BPH and had quite severe side-effects. I believe the does was 5mg a day. But, I did a little bit of research and found that taking 1mg finasteride every three days will work just as well. I gave it a try and I haven’t had any issues since.

1 Like

I have tried on two seperate occasions, Its not reversing. Yes, I am a bit apprehensive about the urolift, but I have reviewed the online discussion forum. About 40% of folks online had a bad experience, but most are pleased and have no problem with erection or ejaculation. Studies suggest greater than 85 % satisfaction. I have three weeks to change my mind. Thanks

1 Like

Try to google this: Prostate artery embolization, before you decide on urolift. This procedure has a lot of good reviews, very little side effects and very quickly done.
I am doing this later in the year…It is expensive where I live though.

1 Like

How about not Googling PAE (prostatic arterial embolization) and hearing from a urologist. Do NOT do PAE.

PAE sounds good but it requires extensive ionizing radiation (ofiten 60-90 minutes of continuous fluoroscopy / xray to get the hard to find prostatic arteries localized with a catheter. Then, they attempt to starve off the prostate with coils / emboli.

Do yourself a favor, get a TURP if your prostate volume is less than 80cc, or, a robotic simple prostatectomy or laser enucleation if it’s >80cc.

The American Urological Association does NOT recommend PAE, and, from my extensive clinical experience, you are not going to have a durable outcome.

2 Likes

My clinical experience, not cherry-picked data, shows Urolift to be far INFERIOR to TURP. Do yourself a favor and get a durable treatment. See my comment below.

1 Like

Re Rapa and surgery. Just stop the rapa for a few weeks. You’ll still outlive your sickly, chronically-ill fellow Americans.

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying; I am not a big fan of retrograde ejaculation with the TURP. I don’t think I would consider PAE under any circumstance. All I want is to pee easier, and the risks associated with Urolift appear low, especially in the sexual function arena.

2 Likes

As a general policy here, we don’t tell other people what to do here. This us a site to share our experiences and scientific information.

We have very little information on each others full medical situations, no medical advice is given here.

Please stick to these general guidelines.

2 Likes

Good luck with whatever you choose. UroLift is a good way to tip toe into the water instead of diving right in. Just be prepared for more interventions in the future. Also, you are not burning any bridges.

2 Likes

I appreciate that advice. :+1:

1 Like

ThOR, do you have any experience with Rezum (steam based destruction of prostate tissue for BPH)? I had pretty awful results from it (months of pain and worsening obstruction, had to be catheterized twice, and end result is no improvement whatsoever), but maybe I was just unlucky.

2 Likes

Have you heard about any side effects of PAE treatment? Anyone thats regrets this procedure? It is very hard to find anything on the internet. Please share your experience if anything. I think there is quite a few guys on this forum that would like to know more. I am reconsidering my plans now, after hearing what you have to say.

I believe one of the possible side effects of PAE is necrosis (tissue death) of the skin of the penis, presumably as a result of one or more of the emboli going into the wrong vessels. My urologist scared me away from PAE, but in retrospect I wonder if part of his antipathy is based on the idea of radiologists moving in on “his turf”.

2 Likes

I think Im gonna stick with the urolift, Thanks

1 Like

Finally, a positive side effect to finasteride. No enlarged prostate issues. And it seems to have helped to reduce my libido to near normal levels.

1 Like

Good to hear.

I have been on finasteride for 33 years. Prostate…that of a 20 year old according to my urologist.

Sex drive and libido just fine. But take daily 5mg tadalafil for sex health.

1 Like

Agetron, thanks for sharing this. My doc prescribed 5 mg of Finasteride for enlarged prostate issues and I was hesitate to start given side effects I read about. Seems side effects only occur in a small percentage so I’m giving it a shot. Appreciate your post. It helped me.

2 Likes