Rapamycin dose differs between different treatments

“The dose makes the poison” is a common expression which means that different doses lead to different results. Here is a summary when it comes to rapamycin and how doses differs between different treatments. Have I missed to include some treatment or some dose that needs adjustment? All feedback is welcome :pray:

4 Likes

The variance in dosing for cancer is much larger than you’ve identified. Here is one where they used 90mg/week:

1 Like

For organ transplant the maintenance dose is usually 1 mg/day. The initial dose (right after transplant surgery) may be higher. So probably the range then is 1 - 5 mg/day.

2 Likes

Interesting, because I based the dose on different claims on pubmed. For example this study.

“The usual maintenance dose of Sirolimus in these patients is 2 to 5 mg/d and its optimal maintenance trough level is 5 to 10 ng/mL.
Source:Sirolimus Dose Requirement in Kidney Transplant Recipients in Iran - PubMed

I think you have better knowledge in this are then me so I’m humble here :heart: But do you have any study or page where they point out that the maintenance dose is usually 1 mg/day?

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about that post :pray: I wonder if that dose regime is more a specific study dose than a dose that is used in real life cases. Do you know if there exists any guide page for doctors regarding this dose regime?

2 Likes

There are so many protocols and unique situations based on donor/recipient match. I was prescribed 1mg/day Rapamune from the very beginning (12 years ago) and I’m still on 1mg.

1 Like

No, I don’t have any reference. I just share what I was prescribed after kidney transplant. May be the dose in my case was low because it was a perfect match (my donor was my son).

1 Like

Found this link. Sirolimus Dose Requirement in Kidney Transplant Recipients in Iran - PubMed

Contrary to the recommended dose of Sirolimus in the references (2 to 5 mg/d) Iranian kidney transplant recipients needed lower daily doses of Sirolimus (1.2 mg/d) to achieve the desired whole blood level.

1 Like

Great that you found that, Lara! I will update the image with the new data 1 - 5mg / daily :pray:

If you find anything more just let me know.

1 Like