FWIW. Here are my notes from the Kaufmann presentation.
Kaufmann Glycation Solution
Why AGEs bad? Causes tissue damage that leads to downstream “aging” effects
- Production of free radicals
- Alter proteins & lipids: alter enzyme activity, modify immunogenicity (autoimmune)
- Activation of inflammatory responses
- Cross linking with long-lived proteins, i.e., collagen
- Interaction with AGEs receptors on cell surface
Pick 1 or 2 from each category below. Note that many solutions address multiple categories.
DO NOT OVERDO ANY CATEGORY
1 Block carb digestion
— drugs: Acarbose, miglitol, voglibose
(1) — a-amylase inhibitors: ursolic acid, ellagic acid, catechin, kaempferol
(2) — aglucosidase inhibitors: quercitin, resveratrol, curcumin, caffeic acid, gallic acid, and others
(3) — both: luteolin, chlorogenic acid (coffee), epicatechin, hesperetin, and others
2 Inhibit glucose-6-phosphate translocate (create new glucose)
— chlorogenic acid (coffee, yerba mate), mumbaistatin, kodaistatin
3 Augment glucose GLUT4 transporter (decreased via obesity, muscle atrophy and denervation)
— up-regulate GLUT4: exercise, aloe vera, resveratrol, berberine, EGCG, gallic acid, astragalus, vanillin acid, and others
4 Inhibit Aldose reductase…block glucose to sorbitol to fructose (7-10x worse than glucose for glycation)
— Drug: epalrestat (150mg/day). Carboxylic acid derivative. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy.
— supplement: ellagic acid, quercetin, apigenin, fisetin, curcumin, cholorgenic acid, sillymarin, capsaicin, luteolin, and others.
5 AGE prevention (Reduce AGE formation)
- Provide targets for sugars that then get disposed (arginine, lysine, cysteine (NAC))…instead of becoming AGE
- Inhibit sugar attachment to proteins (aspirin, diclofenac (drug), pioglitazone (drug))
- Other drug inhibitors: ACE inhibitors (blood pressure), angiotensin receptor blockers (blood pressure), metformin, aminoguanidine
- Other non-prescription agents: cholorgenic acid, caffeic acid, gallic acid, quercetin, rutin, resveratrol, curcumn, ursolic acid, oleanolic acid, vitamins (A, C, E, B1), berberine, carnosine, spermidine, and others.
6 AGE cleanup:
- Take sugars off proteins: carnosine, glutathione, cysteine (NAC)
- Increase sRAGES (exercise, EGCG/green tea, pioglitazone (drug))
- Bind to AGE for cleanup (lactoferrin)