Rapamycin and Impact on heart rate and HRV?

Day 3 after my dose of RApa and my BP normalised again (84-85/53-55, which is normal for me). It was in the mid-nineties/mid-fifties in the first 3 days after taking Rapa.
My RHR is also lower again, albeit still higher than normal (low 70s, normally low 60s), but I just drank heaps of black coffee, so I’m not sure if/how that currently is affecting my RHR.

I have suffered the same trend as you, Texasgirl. My resting HR is about six beats per minute higher overnight, and my HRV is about 30 lower. I have been taking 8mg per week for only five weeks. I have stopped taking it for eight days, and my HR and HRV are still elevated. I am feeling optimistic that it will return. I am happy you shared your experience. I have read the thread, and it looks like I may be sensitive to Rapa. I also use the Oura ring and track my statistic carefully.

4 Likes

It’s definitely increasing my heart rate. This is a screenshot of my Oura ring’s trend. Its program actually asked me point blank this AM if something has changed in my life to give me consistently elevated resting heart rate. I think the rapa isn’t getting cleared from my system (I started January 5th by the way) because my 6 mg dose with grapefruit juice weekly is higher than what a 5’3’’ 134lb woman should be on, is my guess. Today is my rapa day but I’ll skip it this week and see how my trends are looking in a week. I might need to move to biweekly dosage.

4 Likes

Speaking of which, does anyone have experience with weekly vs. biweekly dose and which one is better in your experience — assuming roughly twice the dosage if you go biweekly?

1 Like

Very interesting and confusing. Why would rapamycin have that effect? Is it a cardiac stimulant in some people?

BTW, Vince Giuliano claims that the best HR in terms of mortality is between 60-70.

1 Like

I googled it and heart racing was listed as a possible side effect of rapa. This was from the official website, and I assume it’s in organ transplant dosages, which makes me worried that I’ve overshot my dose. And of course now that I’m looking for that link I can’t find it but I just saw it earlier today.

1 Like

Yeah, not really questioning it, more wondering about the mechanism for that.

1 Like

Same here. Every study I read showed boosted heart health as effects from rapa in animals. And the rise in heart rate might be temporary for all I know, or a new baseline, who knows. It’s all about the dosage in the end. It might be wiser for me to just skip the GJ so I know 6mg is really 6 mg but I hate to throw away a chance at getting more out of my budget :wink:

1 Like

Yes… when I did elevated dosing 36 ng/mL…I had noticeable heart racing and high blood pressure for several days.

For me rapamycin acts like a stimulate.

2 Likes

I’m using an Oura Ring as well and my response is similar to what you are seeing (about the same range and magnitude of change). Did your HRV go down?

I have tried 2 mg + GF, 3 mg + GF, 4 mg + GF, and 1,2,3, 5 mg without GF. I use actual fresh grapefruit because it seems it is more likely to have the correct component(s). Just an assumption and it may depend upon the variety of grapefruit.

5 mg no GF, I have no noticeable symptoms except the rise in resting heart rate and lower HRV. Also, my teeth feel funny which I didn’t notice at lower dosages. As rapamycin is being studied for periodontal disease, I thought this was an interesting symptom.

2 mg w/GF which may be equivalent to 7 mg w/o GF (2*350%). Symptoms similar to 5 mg with no GF.

3 mg w/GF (3*350% = 10.5 mg equivalent). Slight overnight headache.

4 mg w/GF (4*350% = 14 mg equivalent) significant headache for about 1 day. I won’t take this dosage again.

I also have taken rapamycin before going to high altitude and I didn’t like how I responded (how I felt and my Oura ring results). Hypoxia is reported to be an mTOR inhibitor as well, so doesn’t seem wise for me to take rapamycin when at altitudes for which I am not acclimated.

A lot of guessing and supposition regarding dosage and effect of GF.

2 Likes

My heart rate variability definitely went down since taking Rapa but not outside my own norms. In the summer it is at its highest because I live in my home country in Europe at that point of the year and have great diet, exercise (swimming daily in the ocean) and generally feel great. Then when I get back to the states I tend to be a couch potato and basically levels of physical activity tend to correlate very strongly with HRV for me personally. Since taking rapa I have been more active though (generally higher energy levels + actually trying) so I still think the lowering of my HRV has to do with rapa. Note: I took rapa this past month so look for last dot on the graph.

Have you taken any blood tests to figure out your troughs? I have horrible access to health care in my state and might need to get this done in Europe this upcoming summer.

1 Like

My gut instinct is that you are correct. I know nothing of course and just started it myself on 1/9. I’m a 5’1 woman and can’t tolerate more than 2mg with fat. I actually waited 10 days between my last dose and my dose today due to a minor mouth sore and a URI.

Yeah I’m barely 5’3” (really 5’2” and a half) so 6 mg with GFJ might be going a bit nuts. The other side effects seemed transient and they didn’t really bother me. It’s only the heart stuff that gives me pause. I’ll experiment with spacing out my dosage until I hit the sweet spot. I’m still debating whether I should pull back of my weekly dosage or keep the same dosage and go to 2 weeks.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing, how long after your last high rapa dose would your heart rate stabilize? I’m trying to figure out how long of a washout period I should try for. Perhaps it should be however long it takes for my heart rate to get back to baseline, and that will be unique to each person but I’m curious how long it took you.

Also once you had the right protocol (6 mg + GFJ every 10 days, correct?) did you not experience any heart rate spike?

1 Like

My resting HR is about six beats per minute higher overnight, and my HRV is about 30 lower. I have been taking 8mg per week for only five weeks. I have stopped taking it for eight days, and my HR and HRV are still elevated.

How long did it take for the heart rate to stabilize after you quit taking rapa?

I have taken Rapamycin twice, these are my heart rates going to bed around those dates
58,53,(rapamycin)57,50,53,48
66(a),(rapamycin)53,51(a),61(a)
On the second time I fasted on the day I took rapamycin, but I was quite drunk a=alcohol on the days surrounding it. Depending upon the ethanol/acetaldehyde/acetate metabolic balance my heart rate/blood pressure can be lower or higher, but a period of abstinence and low acetyl-coa values tends to drive the lower heart rate.

I am not a fan of fitbit’s resting heart rate algorithm as it tends to follow the circumstances quite slowly so I can have an average heart rate whilst asleep which is quite a bit higher than the fitbit rhr (mainly because of alcohol).

So the one test result I have where I have not been trying to change either ethanol/acetate or acetyl-coa (remembering that higher serum acetate levels can affect cytosolic acetate levels and hence acteyl-coa via ACCS2) does imply a faster heart rate.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing, how long after your last high rapa dose would your heart rate stabilize?

It was several days and blood pressure was at 148 to 150 over about 84.

My normal is 127 over 74.

Since being on 12 mg weekly blood pressure is back in normal range.

Took my 2 mg dose with fresh GFJ last night. Heart pounding about 6 hours… still have ringing in my ears. … tinnitus. The ringing subsidies after a day or two.

3 Likes

2 mg or 12 mg? Just making sure that last one isn’t a typo. Are you back to weekly doses or spaced out every 10 days?

1 Like

Yes, to clarify… I took one 2 mg sirolimus pill… with 5 fluid ounces of fresh GFJ.

Based on my LABCORP test- I get a 6 times multiplication of the dose. So 12 mg is in my blood.

1 Like

Did you need a doctor to request the test at Labcorp? or can an individual arrange for it?