Rapamycin and High Iron Levels?

I take Iron Bisglycinate from NOW Foods, “double strength”, 36mg tabs. Yes, it did improve my ferritin levels, but I need to be consistent with them and take 1 tab 3 times per week - which admittedly I tend to forget at moments. It took quite a while for my ferritin levels to increase though, which apparently is not uncommon. And my ferritin levels were very low.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

1 Like

I was low in iron once and I remember being advised by my MD to take the iron supplement with something high in vitamin C as it significantly boosts the level of absorption.

Indeed, there are some studies pointing out vitamin C increases iron absorption - and a trial that didn’t see any effects of the combination with vitamin C versus supplementing iron without vitamin C.

Do you have the link on Rapa -reduce serum iron levels and transferrin saturation? Very interested in this particular finding greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Results: The two groups had similar hemoglobin levels and iron status at baseline. We did not observe any significant change in hemoglobin and iron status in group A patients after randomization. On the contrary, we observed a significant reduction of hemoglobin without any change of red blood cell count after sirolimus introduction, with a significant reduction of mean corpuscular volume and mean corpuscular hemoglobin. Serum iron and transferrin saturation (TSAT) levels were markedly reduced after the switch, while ferritin serum concentrations remained stable. Although sirolimus-induced anemia was recently suggested to resemble inflammation-related anemia, hepcidin serum levels were similar in the two groups after randomization. None of group A and eight of group B patients presented a TSAT <20 and were given iron supplementation after randomization, in all of them oral iron therapy did not influence either hemoglobin or serum iron levels.
Sirolimus interferes with iron homeostasis in renal transplant recipients - PubMed

It was in a small group of transplanted patients with biopsy-proven chronic allograft nephropathy though:

Methods: To this purpose, 42 consecutive transplanted patients with biopsy-proven chronic allograft nephropathy were randomized (2:1 ratio) to receive either a 40% cyclosporine reduction (group A, 14 patients) or immediate cyclosporine withdrawal and sirolimus introduction (group B, 28 patients). Hemoglobin levels and iron status were evaluated 6 months before and after randomization.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time great info!

1 Like

Just seen on twitter:

1 Like