Rapamycin and Grapefruit Juice

Thank you for the link to the forum. Keep us posted on the Naringin experiment.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, were you using your daily dmso/rapa hair tonic at this point? Given dmso’s ability to aid dermal absorption could your hair tonic have been giving you a systematic dose?

2 Likes

I have been using my hair tonic every 3 days lately - past 2 months. As hair benefits have been stable.

I don’t think that was causing a problem. But, you raise a possible point. Will recheck in 6months on a reduced amount of rapamycin - 12 ng.mL.

1 Like

Is there any possible liver toxicity mixing grapefruit juice and Rapamycin?

Not that I am aware of. The GFJ is used to nullify a gut enzyme that prevents 90% of Rapamycin you ingest from being absorbed.

With GFJ ingested 1-4 hours before Rapa dosing, that number drops from 90% to about 60-70%

However, it may also do the same for other common medications, so make sure you check your other medications first.

3 Likes

See this thread Improve Bioavailability of Rapamycin (2)

Hello forceofnature you asked: I’m curious how your ApoB looks on TRT, do you have that tested?

From blood test one month ago. A few points high… but my doctor says it is nothing.

4 Likes

Patrick, Do you mind revealing the names of these products that you take? Thanks.

Tongkat Ali, Turkesterone and Fedogia are double wood brands
DIM is SM Nutrition 200mg

Just a cautionary note. I have never seen any of the proponents of rapamycin recommend taking it in conjunction with grapefruit juice. Matt Kaeberlein and Dr. Green discouraged taking grapefruit juice. MB did not disagree, but at least acknowledged why some people did so (to save money

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3589309/bin/supp_120951_grape-bailey-1-at.pdf

3 Likes

For me, it’s more for convenience as well as cost savings as it is a pain to arrange a courier to hand carry my Rapamycin from India to Hong Kong. If I have it shipped, customs will take it. Hand-carrying it is legal.

5 Likes

When I said “cautionary“ what I meant to convey is that you are already taking an experimental drug. You really should think hard before compounding your risk by adding something like grapefruit juice that no medical doctor, even one who is approving of Rapamycin, would recommend. I would never do it, nor would I recommend it even if you are only taking rapamycin.

3 Likes

Ran across this a couple of months ago: How to EASILY peel and segment grapefruit - YouTube

I never got as good with a knife as the woman in the video, but the procedure became pretty easy and efficient after a few tries. The segments went in a freezer bag and I’ve been thawing them as needed. They taste like fresh grapefruit.

3 Likes

Just got my first mouth sores after taking 2mg of Rapamune with one whole GF (400g fruit ).

I went to 10mg of Rapamune before and never got one till taking GF.

Same feeling with 10mg of Rapamune made me feel lethargic and out of energy for a couple of days.

Last thing, what about that MDs statement “The ones who takes Rapamycin with GF juice are damaging their livers or renal system” .

What do you guys think about it and are there any evidence that it indeed damages Kidneys and Liver?

1 Like

This could be potentially equivalent of 14mg of rapamycin if you consider @Agetron lab results.

1 Like

Exactly. I get a 6-7 increase on one fresh squeezed Red Grapefruit about 5 fluid ounces of juice when taken with rapamycin/Rapamune.

In two weeks … before I do my blood panel… I will take 2mg rapamycin/Rapamune with the juice of one fresh Red Grapefruit . My labcorp sirolimus results should be about 12 ng/mL .

The increase of the potential of rapamycin/Rapamune with GFJ is pretty high for me… not sure why. But… I am in great shape… no visceral fat… healtht gut, and veined out… all the time.

Sasa wrote: What do you guys think about it and are there any evidence that it indeed damages Kidneys and Liver?

The GFJ works in the gut… to my knowledge it has no affect on the kidneys or liver… except in the final dose if it is really high.

3 Likes

Agetron, what is final dose and what do you define as “really high”?

Did you do any liver enzimes and kidney filtration rate after taking GF, any changes?

1 Like

Hello Sasa… for about 7 months (mid-April 2022 to mid-November 2022) my normal rapamycin high was 38.1 ng/mL That was taking 6mg rapamycin and 5 fluid ounces of Red Grapefruit juice.

In November 2022 … my last blood test…my kidneys eGFR was 70.2. Normal is above 60. So no kidney issues at those doses using GFJ.

Phosphatase was also normal… Liver function.

Acid phosphatase: An enzyme that acts to liberate phosphate under acidic conditions and is made in the liver, spleen, bone marrow, and prostate gland. Abnormally high serum levels of acid phosphatase may indicate infection, injury, or cancer of the prostate .

After this last blood panel… starting in December 2022…I changed to 2mg and GFJ. Will do a new blood panel in a few weeks. I do one about every 4- months.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that data mate!

1 Like

With the amount of exercise you do it might be worth testing for Cystatin C. It may be that your eGFR comes out as higher.

1 Like