Rapamycin and Exercise: any Muscle inhibition?

The advantage of endurance training like running, cycling, etc. is that you can isolate variables far better. I do combat sports, which are always dependent on the dynamic between me and my partner while working multiple energy systems at once–which isn’t easily amenable to even n=1 controlled experimentation. It’s all very subjective.

That said, I haven’t encountered the sort of “gassing out” issues that I’d expect with a higher RHR and lower HRV, except for the first couple of days after my biweekly rapa dose (and even that seems to be lessening over time).

1 Like

I’ve been giving more thought to the timing of rapamycin around resistance training.

Research suggests that MTOR is activated for 24 hours post training:

Resistance exercise initiates mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR) translocation and protein complex co-localisation in human skeletal muscle | Scientific Reports.

We also know that the deadlift is the most effective stimulus to overall strength and hypertrophy and that it should only been trained (heavy) once per week:

So if we want to maximise adaptation to resistance training then it makes sense to take Rapamycin 24 hours after your DL session so that it has the maximum length of time to clear before you DL again.

3 Likes

Until some research comes out our best bet is probably to just not take rapamycin on the same day of the week every time

Deadlifts once per week are good for hypertrophy, but not if your goal is strength. I personally dont care about muscle size, just strength. Right now I’m in a strength cycle and deadlifting 4x per week, on top of 5x per week jiu-jitsu plus a bit of zone 2 for maintenance. Admittedly, that’s pushing me into overtraining a bit.

3 Likes

No, the majority of the best powerlifters in the world deadlift once per week. Certainly only once above 75%.

Andy Bolton (1st man to deadlift 1000 pounds)

Eddie Hall (1st man to deadlift 500kg)

Example of an elite 75 year old (one heavy session and one <70%)

Training more frequently at (higher percentages) will just lead to stagnation and greater risk of injury.

2 Likes

Interesting, thank you!

I change approaches every few years, but this is who I’m currently following for strength. Andy Galpin has degrees in Exercise Science, Master’s in Human Movement Sciences, PhD in Human Bioenergetics, founded Biochemistry and Molecular Exercise Physiology Lab, and trains elite athletes including MMA, which is closest to relevance for me.

I admit there’s a tension between Galpin and the person whom I trust most for recovery, Joel Jamieson. Another MMA strength and conditioning coach, but far more focused on recovery–which is everything for me now at age 50.

1 Like

The drawback of DLs is that they create a high degree of systematic and CNS fatigue. This can have a negative impact on the quality of other training components in the days following.

However if you follow a training cycle similar to the one outlined by Pavel in the article above you are only going close to failure in the last couple of weeks of a 12 week plan. You could therefore de-emphasise other training in those weeks to allow greater recovery.

1 Like

I used to lift quite heavy until about 5 years ago, when I completely stopped, with the only strength training coming from BJJ itself. A couple of months ago I decided it was time to rebuild strength, but right now I’m only doing DLs. (Actually trap bar DLs with a Kabuki trap bar, which are half way between DLs and squats in terms of muscle engagement.)

So, yes, I’m de-emphasizing everything else for a 12-week cycle. (Normally, I prefer 8-week cycles, but because I’m back to being a noob in lifting, I’m extending it.)

There’s only one other black belt in my jiu-jitsu club, so I can usually choose my level of my exertion during sparring as well.

I have half-pound miniplates, and I just add one to either side every day, so I’m adding a pound a day every lift. I was initially doing it 5 days a week, but the CNS fatigue was too much. When I was younger, I built up to a 5x5x500 squat using this approach of tiny-but-consistent progressive overload without ever hitting a plateau. At my age, I don’t want that sort of load on my vertebrae, which is why I’ve switched to the trap bar DL.

1 Like

I think there could be something in this. Use rapamycin in preparation but come off a month before a big competition to undo any mild anemia that might otherwise limit performance.

The World Masters are back in Manchester next year so I will be the guinea pig for you all!

3 Likes

“I think there could be something in this.” - Subjectively I think the training effect seemed very robust after dropping the rapa. It sort of makes sense on a number of levels. I dropped my weight training during those 5 weeks for example, and that allowed my cardio levels to increase more than if I hadn’t.

I would only add one caveat in my case. I was taking 6mg of the powder rapa from a compounding pharmacy in the USA. So I think my rapa blood levels were significantly lower than someone taking tablet form. I am currently taking the Biocon tablet now so I will see how it goes in my own training.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Rhonda Patrick just sent out this study, which shows intense aerobic exercise reduces the risk of metastatic cancer by as much as 73 percent. But what jumped out to me in the study was this line:

“The protective effects of exercise were dependent on mTOR activity, and inhibition of the mTOR pathway with rapamycin treatment ex vivo reversed the exercise-induced metabolic shield.”

Not sure how to read this.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Matt Kaeberlein’s latest take on Rapamycin and muscle aging / growth:

4 Likes

A lot of already known information presented. Reaffirming that once again Mat K. says that the best pharm bet on anti-aging longevity is still rapamycin.

At the very end. Matt has and interesting take on collagen as a supplement. How does the collagen peptide get taken back to skin collagen from the gut. Not biologically sound, but there is no down side to its use - so maybe. Brad pushes back and why it could work. LOL

3 Likes

Would you say more about the benign or “essential” tremors? I have an uncle with this condition.

How confident are you that it was the Rapamycin? You mentioned frequent exercise, metformin, etc. Also you have mentioned using many supplements in other threads.

I’m not skeptical. I’m just deeply curious to understand.

Could you give more information about the key details? How long had you been using Rapamycin when you noticed the tremors had stopped? How much were you taking? Have they returned? When did they first show up? How long were they around before going away? Had anyone diagnosed you with some cause for the tremors?

Is there anything else you can think of to share about this that might be helpful to my uncle? I would like to help him but I do not want to give him hope without understanding your situation fully.

1 Like

Well of course this was an N=1 observation. I have been exercising and taking metformin for decades. Yes, I was taking other supplements at the time, but I had been taking them for decades as well. The two most common that I was and am taking are melatonin and creatine. I made no changes when I started rapamycin. Since “essential tremors” disappeared and have not returned, I attribute this to rapamycin. I am glad you reminded me. I am so grateful they went away and had completely forgotten about this benefit.

3 Likes

How long were you on rapa before realizing they were gone? Do you recall your dosing in that time?

1 Like

I had been on rapamycin for approx 3 months when I notice that my hands no longer shook when eating. I started with 5mg/week and then switched to 20mg/bi-weekly with grapefruit juice. I could not stay on the 20mg/bi-weekly because it was giving me diarrhea.
Now I am on 10mg/weekly taken with EVOO. Sorry I didn’t keep a more accurate record of my dosages when I first started.
Age-related “essential tremors” are more common in people over 65.
I hope someone does some more research on rapamycin and age-related essential tremors. Maybe I am an anomaly, but I hope not. Age-related “essential tremors” is quite
common and I observe them quite often when I see old people like me pay for things at the grocery store.

4 Likes

Thank you. Now I just have to decide if it’s any of my business to mention this to him.

1 Like

Highlights

Resistance training and nutritional supplementation significantly improved muscle strength.

Supervised multimodal exercises and body vibration significantly improved balance.

Multimodal exercise interventions significantly reduced the risk of falling.

Few studies exist concerning group exercise, motivational strategies, and facilitators’ characteristics.

1 Like