Rapamycin and Cholesterol Levels? Any impact for you?

That’s from the rapamycin most likely.

1 Like

Rapa increased my lipids about 20%
So I added a statin which decreased my lipids 40-50%.

1 Like

What about LP(a) and apoB levels? Those are more important…

All this polypharmacology takes too much, life is just WAY simpler to just semaglutide and take nothing else

Rapamycin isn’t the best mTOR inhibitor by the way, it’s just the first one (which one is the best?)

1 Like

I’m gonna take out the rapamycin for a few weeks then and retest, there’s enough semaglutide to slow aging and food costs

5 years ago, before Rapamycin, my LDL was 67. Last summer, after using Rapamycin for 1 year, it was 120. After adding Bempedoic Acid and Ezetemibe it was 66. (Note: I do take a high weekly dose of Rapamycin 4 mg + GFJ alternating weekly with 3 mg + GFJ).

5 years ago, before Rapamycin, my HBA1C was 4.7 (On 1.5 g of Metformin Daily). Last summer, after Rapamycin and Metformin (1 g) only on Rapa dosing day, it was 5.7. After adding daily 500 mg Metformin and taking Pendulum Akkermansia (1 month only) it was 4.9. I was taking too much Metformin before.

Rapamycin may be great, but you need to mitigate its effects on lipids and (maybe) glucose.

5 Likes

Sounds like you really harmed your health with rapamycin if I am being honest which lead you to patch the holes. It’s a pretty terrible drug if it increases lipids and glucose, without any human outcome data. I searched for the largest papers on rapamycin and everolimus, and it was a graveyard. Most studies include other drugs, and they have to do with stents or transplants. Unlike when I search for statins or SGLT2i, lots of cool large trials.

I have of course not taken rapamycin for a long time. I just added 5 mg ezetimibe to 10 mg atorvastatin and that’s pretty much it.

mTOR inhibition have found no use in humans except for transplants and cancer.

1 Like

Your LDL was really high though, that’s so concerning so many have that side effect.
I don’t think rapamycin is it [the best longevity drug atm]. Maybe in combination with other lipid lowering drug, but then you can’t get lipids low enough?

There’s an Indian pharmacy that allows you to get atorvastatin pills for really really cheap, but combining pills from all the Indian pharmacies increases the risks… (ideally you want purity/contaminant testing for ALL pills from ALL indian pharmacies)

The epidemiological data is positive on SGLT2 inhibitors (we don’t have it for rapamycin), and semaglutide makes life way simpler (calorie restriction is superior to rapamycin), so using just these two should give enough of the benefit without the polyphamacy risk… With semaglutide inhibitors, you KNOW it when you feel it.

[I also don’t lose weight on semaglutide, which is good]. just WAY more in control of when I eat, and I have far reduced risk of being a seagull.

I think people have been a bit irresponsible with advertising rapamycin as a longevity drug without discussing its risks in this dimension
I’ve only been doing 10mg of rapamycin every week or so too…

anyways I’m definitely retesting. Also I got a lead test (just in case), this might have been wise given all the Indian pharmacies i’ve been ordering from.

==

I’ve been vegan this entire year, too… and drastically reduced my nut consumption. Everything about my diet should go against high LDL…
Triglycerides were 79.

They were fasting (I did have 2 cans of garbanzo beans the night just before). And a bunch of Kirkland vegetables (3 bowls)

FUCK THIS I’M GOING ON ESTROGEN FOR THIS. I was always born the wrong fucking gender

Does rapamycin decrease LDLR expression
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006291X08012904

https://www.reddit.com/r/asktransgender/s/5s2c1Av5fd

Statins are problematic for vitality bc they inhibit coenzyme Q

In a gender-diverse population on hormone therapy, low HDL-cholesterol and moderate hypertriglyceridemia were relatively common. HDL-cholesterol decreased with testosterone therapy and increased with a combination of oral estrogen and spironolactone. Testosterone use was associated with an increase in triglycerides. Our data support the recommendation to routinely monitor lipid profiles in gender-diverse patients on GAHT.

Why do we have ApoB blood tests and not ApoA blood tests?

Alex, atorvastatin is really cheap everywhere. Its generic. I think that perhaps for people who are price sensitive, the best option may be to contact Push Health, and get a prescription from them for the medications you are interested in; eg. atorvastatin, rapamycin, etc. - as is mentioned here: Push Health prescribing experience - #70 by Steelart99

A 3 month supply of atorvastatin is $50 or so (with Goodrx), so a little over $15 per month:

1 Like

For a person of your weight, that is actually quite a high dose. You may want to moderate your dose.

1 Like

You’re being dramatic and extreme here. You have no idea what else changed in @DeStrider during those 5 years. Rapamycin has extended healthspan and lifespan in every organism tested, from yeast to worms, to flies, to mice…(yes, over a billion years of evolution, and we know the mTOR pathway is conserved in humans also) and the benefits seem to also be translating to rats, dogs, and monkeys in testing done so far. I wouldn’t bet against rapamycin.

But I definitely do think we need to watch for side effects and moderate dosing or consider other medications (acarbose, SGLT1 inhibitors, metformin, etc.), which you may want to take anyway, to manage side effects.

If you want large clinical trials on rapamycin in longevity, since its a generic drug, we’re unlikely to ever get them. So you’ll be waiting for the much more expensive “on-patent” drugs that do go through long and extensive testing over the coming decades. Everyone has the option of waiting or acting now. Everyone will make the decision that fits their situation, interests and risk profiles. There are no simple, right/wrong answers here.

But I think everyone should be testing (quarterly?) and tracking their progress and blood results over time. This isn’t like taking statins or metformin; rapamycin is definitely more complex in terms of its effects.

7 Likes

It’s true that a lot can happen in 5 years, and other supplements may have come into play that have affected my lipids. I do have a fairly large longevity stack that I have implemented in the last two years. The only medication I was taking 5 years ago was 1.5 g of Metformin daily. It was the start of my longevity journey and Metformin was all the rage at that time.

The purpose of my post is that although my LDL went up, there were excellent options to bring it right back down - Bempedoic Acid and Ezetemibe. I view an LDL score of 66 as pretty good! Also, an HBA1C of 4.9 is what I consider optimal. I neither want it lower nor higher than that number. And, I am taking much less Metformin than I was 5 years ago, so I am not convinced that Rapamycin meaningfully affected my HBA1C scores.

I am still an advocate of Rapamycin although I personally don’t feel as good on 14 mg eq. of Rapamycin weekly as I did on 10 mg. So, I may go back down to that level. Honestly, I feel that my body has changed in many ways over time through Rapamycin use. My joints feel amazing now, but I no longer get euphoric fatigue. :cry:

3 Likes

I must’ve caught the same virus as @DeStrider by the way because I have been extremely sick the entire week, worst fever recorded since I started with Oura many years ago, and now it’s back after seemingly going away yesterday. But I can’t see any Covid waves in graphs. I was with someone who was coughing a lot a couple days before (it was an “allergy”, I overheard them saying… whatever).

2 Likes

As a final note, my Levine age dropped from 8 years younger to 10 years younger during those 5 years. The change came after I started taking Rapamycin and the other meds.

I’ll take an extra two years. :slight_smile:

And I have fully recovered from COVID-19 and the other flu or bacterial infections. It was an unpleasant 3 weeks but it never got too bad thank goodness.

4 Likes

It’s not polypharmacy that caused your LDL to increase. It’s a known side effect with mTOR inhibitors.
SGLT2 inhibitors also have great, large, clinical trials, as well for outcomes some of which they discovered serendipitously.

It’s not it, there is a lot of people who are FOMO, have hubris, think magically, it’s a great story, just it might be false. It’s better to be humble about it’s potential than to expect too much, and besides, there are so many other great drugs.

Normal nut consumtion should reduce LDL, you should check apoB as you might have low apoB still, albeit rare.

@RapAdmin, @DeStrider started rapamycin, got diabetic 5 years later and hyperlidemic. If I became diabetic and hyperlipidemic after starting a longevity drug I’d want a refund especially if there is no outcome data in humans. Especially if I see no reason why I would become diabetic if I wasn’t on the drug.

Because of distribution of outcomes, there will be people who are responding in an unfavorably way to a powerful drug, it’s just how things are. But since so many get high lipids especially, for example, and the average person do not want to treat it…? Is Deepak Chopra going to take statins?

If I started taking a longevity drug, and my HBA1c increases a lot - I would stop taking it, I wouldn’t start taking SGLT2 inhibitors or metformin or whatever. And I think it’s the same for a lot of people. It wouldn’t be persuasive to me for someone to say to just take statins or metformin or whatever. (the former might be good for other reasons).

It would be more persuasive to me if I was told that XX% of people probably needs to take statins or whatever to counter side effects of rapamycin from the get go. Then I would know what to expect.

I don’t want, I see what clinical trials exist.
Maybe IGF-1 inhibitor don’t cause measurable bad side effects a few months / a year or longer, or some other lifespan drug. That’s more interesting?
Of course for someone the lipids might not increase and they have no other measurable side effects from rapamycin.

My LDL barely increased on high doses of Rapa. My LDL increased from 74 to 77 mg/dL. Trigs in fact went down from 53 to 44 mg/dL. That was after 6 months of high doses of Rapa at 1,5 week intervals (as a low weight female).
My hs-CRP values that were low at the time I introduced Rapa, remained stable during that time. What did significantly increase was my Hba1C at the time. It was not in pre-diabetic range, but enough to have me concerned. I did take an SGLTi, but not every day. There were other blood marker changes and some side-effects I wasn’t too happy about though at the time.
FWIW as n=1, as many individuals here do have a different experience. My family members have hypercholesterolemia.

I thought you mentioned somewhere you’re completely sedentary Alex? As quite a few members here have noted increases in LDL, and some studies report the same, in all likelihood Rapa ‘is to blame’. But more generally I do wonder up until what age someone may be able to get away with living a sedentary lifestyle, without it affecting lipids.
Edit, I had not realised most members here aim for much lower LDL-levels around ~40-50 mg/dL. That makes me wonder if I should in fact try to bring my lipids down.

3 Likes

You need to keep in mind that most people in this forum are over the age of 50. At that age, all sorts of illnesses tend to develop on their own.

4 Likes

My fever is turning me into a hippie. Less autistic. Now I want to travel California and smoke kush.

Cracking the Fever-Autism Mystery

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/cracking-fever-autism-mystery

7 Likes

Autism caused by vaccines can only be cured through the chemicals in water that turns frogs gay.

5 Likes