Rapamycin and Broken Bones

Hi, I normally take 6mg weekly of Rapamycin. However, I recently fell and broke a couple of ribs (not fun), and I was wondering if it is a good or bad idea to keep taking rapa while I heal. It takes about 6 weeks to heal a rib fracture. Not sure if lowering mTOR is good or bad for the healing process. I’m concerned that taking rapa might slow down the healing process.

Thanks, AAA

1 Like

I would feel that the same processes that result in muscle loss (sarcopenia) would be a problem for healing of fractures. Given that cyclic rapamycin seems to, if anything help sarcopenia … on that logic I’d think it not to be a huge risk.
However, this is all theoretic, and we have no trial.
I’d certainly not think daily dosing would be a good plan - again on theory of continuous mTORC1 inhibition, which would certainly be expected to slow healing/repair processes - at least theoretically.
I doubt anyone has hard data on that.
I wish you were right on your 6 week estimate on the rib fracture - my experience is 3 months is more typical.

3 Likes

Thanks. You make some good points. Given the lack of evidence it’s a bit of a guess. I might just skip a couple of weeks just to be on the safe side, and then resume the rapamycin. And you’re right: Rib fractures can take a good while to heal.

1 Like