Rapamycin and Benign prostatic hyperplasia (Swollen Prostate)

I am in the States yes. The clinic told me that they did take my insurance, but I didn’t get far enough to find out if that would have been the case after a consult.

They don’t just treat cancer they also treat BPH with the procedure. The out of pocket cost would have been $6500. If things deteriorate, and I assume they will. I’ll most likely look into again further down the road.

This from the clinic:

Focalyx BPH is a short, in-office procedure that treats your enlarge prostate within minutes with natural laser energy, by shrinking the prostate gland. There is no general anesthesia and minimal downtime.
While improving your urinary symptoms, you will preserve your potency and ejaculation, and will avoid the secondary effects of oral medications used to treat BPH.
The medical device/software used for the procedures is approved by the FDA for image/guidance, and the procedures are covered by Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans and Commercial insurances:

1 Like

Wow! Wish I’d known about that procedure before I unfortunately tried Rezum. I should have asked for advice on this forum before I did anything. It sounds like it would have been much less painful and an easier recovery, regardless of whether it helped me. I’ll look for a local provider for that procedure to see if it’s an option if the PT doesn’t work. Thanks!

2 Likes

It does sound like a good option. My understanding is this is a really new treatment and I believe they are only one or two clinics in the country offering it. It might actually just be that clinic. I’d planned on flying to Miami, It seemed as though recovery was fairly quick.

I hope the PT works for you.

1 Like

Davin wrote: In the meantime I’m also trying combo finasteride (full dose) along with testosterone replacement therapy in the hope that i can get the benefits of both without the side effects of either.

I do TRT (4 years now) and finasteride (32 years now) with great results. My urologists says my prostrate is hard to find… not that he doesn’t hunt for it… hmmm.

He also has me on tadalafil 2mg a day… says it is great for urinary health… been on it 1 year plus…amazing.

Hope it helps.

5 Likes

I have experienced discomfort and pain from my prostate during +25 years and over the years I have gained my own personal experiences of how I can handle my prostate issues. During the later years I have gotten BPH. I don’t know if it is of interest to share my experiences of what can reduce the symptoms of painful prostate, this since most suffering from these conditions often have tried a wide set of treatments. But I would like to say that pain from peppers, chilly and some other spices might not be a sign of unhealthy reactions in the prostate. Those sensations might come from increased ROS activity in the prostate. And from a ROS activity that leads to apoptosis in unhealthy cells. There is, for instance, quite a bit of research on piperlongumine and its effects on cancer – apoptosis – and the removal of senescent cells. I have noted that some effects are negated by NAC and antiaoidants. The increased ROS is the signal that starts the process that leads to apoptosis. Even though hot peppers, can cause pain in prostate, I do not stay away from peppers.

The promising potential of piperlongumine as an emerging therapeutics for cancer (explorationpub.com)

I find that fisetin make my prostate “young again” but only for a short time. It is hard to describe how it feels but it functions and feels like it did in my young age. The prostate feels great when I take fisetin 30 mg/kg body weight, mixed in oil . Taken on empty stomach and with black pepper and during two consecutive days. I found out this surprising effect a few years ago, when I started senolytic protocols with Fisetin. I sometimes add piperlongmunie to the senolytic coctail. And I note that piperlongumine is, like fisetin, an mTOR inhibitor. That gives some hope that rapamycin might provide som help to people dealing with a painful prostate.

I find prostate health very important, maybe because of my own experiences, but also because almost all men develop prostate cancer in a very old age and in the end of life. There is of course the idea that when we slow aging, we also slow the aging of the prostate. But I don’t think it is illogical to think that when we increase lifespan, we will meet more and more men with prostate related problems. The slowed processes of aging will most likely not slow down the aging of the prostate in all men.

5 Likes

For anyone considering surgery I urge you to research PAE. Prostate artery embolizatiom. I had it 8 years ago and it was a lifesaver

3 Likes

I have BPH and have taken Rapa for over one year. Rapa did not reduce the swelling.
The drug that really work for me is finasteride 5mg/daily.

3 Likes