Rapamycin alone or in combination with Metformin or Acarbose

Hello everyone, I’m planning to start my journey of taking Rapamycin next month. I’m 42 years old and I plan to start with 2mg and increase it by 1mg per week until I reach 5 or 6mg, depending on how my body reacts. I currently have a question and I would like to know whether you are taking Rapamycin alone or in combination with Metformin or Acarbose. If taking in combination, is there a specific dosage reference for Metformin and Acarbose? Thank you very much for your reply.

1 Like

It depends on your A1C…

1 Like

my A1C is around 5.1-5.2

1 Like

Ok, so no need for either of those medications. The evidence for Metformin as a longevity drug is weak (negative) but 25/50mg of Acarbose before carb heavy meals would likely have value.

3 Likes

Thank you. Are you currently taking only Rapamycin?I noticed that taking Rapamycin can cause an increase in blood sugar. Is it necessary to intervene with metformin or Acarbose? Thank you.

1 Like

My n=1

I just stopped rapamycin (having started in January '22) because it significantly raised ApoB, A1C, CRP… and gave me bad acne. I was not previously taking Acarbose but have recently ordered some and will start that as a uni-therapy.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. How long after taking Rapamycin did you notice these abnormal indicators? What were your ApoB, A1C, and CRP levels before and after taking the Rapamycin? Thank you.

1 Like

I have blood tests quarterly and all three markers have been trending upwards since Q1 '22. A1C is the most concerning as that is now close to ‘pre-diabetic’ levels.

1 Like

Off topic, but do you think something like berberine before food would also work?

I take both. I have been carefully monitoring my glucose with a CGM since starting rapamycin. So far there have been no adverse effects. My A1c since February 2021 has gone from 5.6 to 5.2 to 5.0.

1 Like