Questions for Dr. Richard Miller (Summer 2023)

Hey everyone. I’ll be having a one-on-one discussion with Dr. Miller from the ITP within the upcoming months. This is the time to let me know what questions you may have for him that I can ask on your behalf. Thanks!

For those of you who may not know, Dr. Miller is the head of the ITP program at the University of Michigan. It is sponsored by the NIH and they run their experiments on longevity for mice at three different sites in the USA. Their results with Rapamycin and mice testing are one of the main reasons why Rapamycin is touted for longevity purposes.

11 Likes

Ask if they have any plans to test everolimus. It feels like that is a important thing to test if its better than Rapamycin.

3 Likes

The obligatory question, what has been the behavior of the drugs in the 2019 and 2020 tests, and specifically the CaAKG, since it has generated great expectations and is commercially available

2 Likes

Why are Metformin and NR tested together when they have shown no lifespan extension by themselves?

And could you ask what their stance is on moonshot options like the ones discussed here where the ITP would test 3+ drugs in a single cohort? And if we could maybe see any in the future cohorts?

3 Likes

My question :

• why not test probiotics to see if they extend life?
  • do glp 1 agonists with rapamycin extend lifespan?
2 Likes

Do they plan to test Selegiline?

3 Likes

I don’t think NR and metformin were tested together. I think it was only Rapamycin+Metformin. Could you point me to where you found NR+Metformin?

1 Like

The trial of NR + Metformin is currently in progress as part of the 2022 cohort according to this page:

2 Likes

Thanks. I missed that. That is a strange combination…

1 Like

can they test royal jelly on life extension. Here they already tested on worms

Lifespan-extending effects of royal jelly and its related substances on the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21858156/

3 Likes

If there was a crowdfunding effort or philanthropic donors that could expand their budget would they be able to scale and tests more compounds across the three sites in a cycle? If so roughly how much would be needed per extra compound?

Is there any chance that they’d consider including some non orally eaten compounds (eg partial reprogramming/OSK therapy or GDF11)? If that is tough based on budget constraints, would it be possible if funded per above?

2 Likes

Here is the updated list of questions. Anything to amend or add?

Questions for Dr. Miller

05/11/2023

About Rapamycin Longevity News
About - Rapamycin Longevity News

We are a group of professionals interested in longevity and healthspan, especially as it relates to the use of Rapamycin. We are dedicated to healthier, longer lives through a good diet, regular exercise, and longevity medicines. We are advocates of geroscience research and of greatly increased funding for the National Institute of Aging ITP program and clinical trials of generic compounds showing promise.

Doctors have, in the past few years, started to prescribe Rapamycin to people off label, and early adopters are testing it for themselves. In these forums we share our personal experiences and results with rapamycin and other anti-aging drugs. Most of us are not doctors and no medical advice is given. This site is for informational purposes only.

Questions from the Community:

• Do you have any idea what dosage (1mg, 6 mg, 9 mg, etc.) of Rapamycin is best for human longevity and healthspan? Daily? Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly?

• Any information that would be helpful to determine dosages of Rapamycin for humans?

• Have you considered using a model such as the WormBot, proposed by Dr. Matt Kaberlein, to help identify potentially life-extending molecules by testing a multitude of compounds on C. Elegans or Killifish first?

• If you were an average 50-year-old man, and money was not an issue, which supplements would you take for health span and longevity? Are there any successful ITP molecules you would avoid taking?

• Polypharmacy is a contentious issue with many members. Have you considered doing a trial with all (or most of) the successful ITP compounds to see if their effects are additive or subtractive to lifespan? We feel this information is important especially for those taking many medications and/or supplements (the kitchen sink approach) to determine if it is helpful or harmful.

• Glycine was shown to increase life expectancy by the ITP. Baylor College of Medicine has done their own research with glycine + NAC and shown much larger increases in mouse life expectancy (20%+) in addition benefits have been seen in humans as well. Could the ITP trial the combination of Glycine + NAC to confirm or repudiate these claims?
    GlyNAC supplementation reverses aging hallmarks in aging humans | BCM

• Do you have any plans to test the Rapalog everolimus or other Rapalogs?

• Can you give us the status of the drugs currently being tested by the ITP? Do any look especially promising?

• Do you think GLP-1 agonists would work well with Rapamycin?

• Do you plan to test any of the following compounds – Selegiline or royal jelly?

• If there was a crowdfunding effort or philanthropic donors that could expand their budget would they be able to scale and test more compounds across the three sites in a cycle? If so, roughly how much would be needed per extra compound?

• Is there any chance that they’d consider including some non-orally eaten compounds (eg partial reprogramming/OSK therapy or GDF11)? If that is tough based on budget constraints, would it be possible if funded per above?

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking to you soon.

2 Likes

Tnx for this. Re bullet #1, dose, I would add; please give the blood levels one should target?

IE given such variable absorption I’d prefer we talk in terms of blood levels that we can test to verify we are likely to get the said benefits.

Reading here re folks asking about doses 0.5mg to 30mg I wonder what benefits folks are actually getting since there is no immediate or few days signs one can look for to verify they’ve taken rapa vs a sugar pill…

I know from my own blood testing (LEF’s sirolimus) that naked taking 6 mg I get near zero levels in my blood. Only after extreme efforts with GF juice + berberine + peperine + fisetin (etc etc) I can get blood levels 20-30ish (?? units) from 20mg of rapa + pre dosing with GF + my stack (gleened here). IE I have to take ALOT of rapa + GF + a stack to get absorption. So I’ve wondered if others have absorption problems too?

IE we really need to be talking about actual blood levels and reco that new folks blood test initially to 1) verify their source of rapa really IS rapa and 2) their body really does absorb rapa.

tnx to all, curt

2 Likes

Perhaps consider the sequence (and sometimes phrasing) of the questions

For instance jumping in with the current first one might scare him to feel that he is asked to provide medical advice.

A) putting that question a little bit further down on the list and
B) perhaps rephrasing as “if you were to provide input for a clinical trial focused on longevity outcomes, what would your thoughts on dosages (and blood levels)…”

Would also ask the question about the 50 year old man also for 50 year old woman to be inclusive

1 Like

Lastly on above, perhaps also include something, like: In previous years, final or at least preliminary results have often been made public for the most recent cohort before this time of the year, can you say anything about the timing of up-coming conference talks and publications with such data?

I’m going to give this topic a deadline of May 21, 2023. Please have any additions or modifications to me by then. Then I’ll send them off to Dr. Miller for his perusal. Thanks!

I’ll add this one as well:

1. Is there any way our online community can help you or the ITP with your research?
2 Likes

He’s likely to demur on all of these: if you listen to podcasts where he’s appeared, he always refuses to answer any questions about humans trying out any particular thing or his own practices.

Again based on previous podcasts, he’s likely to more or less dodge those, too, saying that he doesn’t know much about them and if anyone thinks they’re good candidates they should submit an application for the next round of testing.

2 Likes

Agree that is a bit risk, which I why I suggested rephrasing and indirectly asking questions that are more acceptable for him to speculate on, eg for the first question:

“perhaps rephrasing as “if you were to provide input for a clinical trial in humans focused on longevity outcomes, what would your thoughts on dosages (and blood levels)…””

2 Likes