(Query) Metformin, ascarbose, empagliflozin

Hello, first excuse my english, I’m Brazilian and I’m using google translator…

I am a young man of 25 years old, and since I was 16 I started to take care of myself with food, practice exercises and take care of my health with vitamins and other substances, aiming at longevity. And I’m happy to have found a forum with similar people.

I discovered rapamycin this year, and together with it I discovered other substances such as Metformin, Ascarbose and empagliflozin.

I’ve already done a study on them, but studies on their use for longevity are scarce, and a big question arose in me.
All are commonly used for diabetes and work with glycemic issues, but in different ways.

My doubts are:

Do you use these substances simultaneously? Because with what I studied I was able to conclude that their simultaneous use can leave the blood glucose very low, leading to complications of course, such as hypoglycemia.
So I would like to know how do you administer them together and if there were any side effects?

Another doubt is that I saw that here on the forum people prefer (Ascarbose) over (Metformin), and I didn’t find any study that says which one would be better than the other, so could you explain why you chose it?

2 Likes

Hello Davi… I have hundreds of Brazilian friends in Campinas and Sao Paulo. Osteopaths! Greatest people ever! They party crazy!!!

In mice studies… the comination of acarbose and rapamycin give the best evidence of longer life span 28 to 34% in mice… when combined.

No trial on whether Metformin does the same.

Also for me the lower dose of Acarbose 50 mg pill eaten at each meal is easier on my stomach. Metformin pill at 500 mg gives me diarrhea and makes me tired. Everyone is different. I like Acarbose… others like Metformin.

Link: Combination of Rapamycin and Acarbose Extends Lifespan

If I was 25 years old my focus would be on nutrition and exercise. I might also add just one drug that seems good for longevity, but adding multiple drugs seems unwise at such a young age. Every drug has some risk, and so I wouldn’t want to take on much risk at that age.

Metformin was tested by the best longevity drug testing group called the National Institute on Aging, Intervention Testing program (ITP). Metformin did not do very well in making mice live longer - I think it was only 5% lifespan improvement when started at the equivalent age of 25 year old humans. So - not very much.

Acarbose results were much better, 17% for males when started at equivalent to about 25 year old in human. And close to 30% lifespan improvement when added to rapamycin.

See here: Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

So, at a younger age I would keep it simple and go for the drug that has the best results.

There are issues with side effects with acarbose too - if you eat a high wheat diet you may get a lot of gas / flatulence / farting. If you eat more rice and lentils etc. it seems not to cause these problems.

1 Like

I think that these drugs work for longevity by controlling high blood sugar after meals. In my opinion it is better to use lifestyle approaches (diet, exercise, and timing of each) to achieve the same effect, and not to use drugs unless those strategies fail. Combining anti-diabetic drugs is not a good idea unless you have diabetes and you are under the care of a knowledgeable doctor.

I don’t think acarbose is only lowering blood sugar, I think it is the changes in gut microbiome that are important too.

2 Likes

I don’t think acarbose is only lowering blood sugar, I think it is the changes in gut microbiome that are important too.

That seems likely. My guess is that changing diet to have more resistant carbohydrates would have similar effect.

2 Likes