Purified EPA fish oil reduces cardiovascular risk

Commercial-stage biotech Amarin Corporation (NASDAQ:AMRN said that an independent study supported the benefit of purified eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), a component in its heart disease therapy Vascepa/Vazkepa.

RESPECT-EPA trial funded by the Japanese Heart Foundation marginally achieved statistical significance with a 21.5% reduction in the primary composite endpoint related to cardiovascular risk. It also indicated statistical significance for a 26.6% reduction in the secondary composite endpoint.

Amarin (AMRN) said that the RESPECT-EPA was the third study to highlight the beneficial impact of purified EPA in lowering cardiovascular outcomes in patients with coronary artery disease.

The results were part of a presentation at the American Heart Association (AHA) 2022. Other presentations included in vitro data supporting the antioxidant effect of EPA on low-density lipoprotein (LDL) compared to mineral oil.

Vascepa is a fish oil-derived therapy approved in the U.S. for high-risk patients who continue to suffer from cardiovascular risk after statin therapy.

2 Likes

Evidence does seem to be converging that EPA-only fish oil is best, although there’s definitely still debate. You can buy OTC version of Vascepa (Carlson Elite EPA, which is EPA ethyl ester 1 gram per cap). It’s pricey, but you get 120 caps in a bottle for about $60. I take 1 per day and also give 1 per day to my dog who has inflammatory bowel disease.

1 Like

It’s interesting. I eat some salmon almost daily, but do not take fish oil. I got a complete free fatty acid profile done and my DHA was upper normal, but my EPA was off the charts high. It can be done with food only it would seem.

4 Likes

Yes, I believe that Omega-3s are essential. Especially EPA. Whether you get it from food, supplements or both, omegas are one of the best ways to avoid deadly cardiovascular issues.