PRP injection while taking rapamycin

I received PRP injection for rotator cuff tear. I skipped rapa for a couple of weeks to not interfere with it. I’m wondering if anyone has thoughts about interactions. Your feedback/experience is appreciated.

I am also in this same exact situation. Would like to hear about any possible interaction that would be anticipated.

1 Like

@Coachrhyk
As someone who had PRP, stem cells and exosomes for severe knee osteoarthritis and was looking at a knee replacement (no knee replacement yet and now considered “mild” osteoarthritis ), I would give the PRP lots of time to do its repair–up to 3 months. I am just basing this on the amount of time I was told to stay off ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. i.e no anti-inflammatories–and rapa is a major anti-inflammatory. Anybody with a better biological understanding, please chime in. Best of luck, and glad mainstream medicine is more routinely offering that

2 Likes

I don’t have much to contribute except to ask why not get PRF instead of PRP. Much more growth factors and the procedure is the same.

I think prf is used for skin “youthifying.” I think there must be fibrin factors in PRP too.

It’s not just for skin youthifying, they use it for dental implants, bone grafting, all that. It’s just a better technique of extracting growth factors than in PRP.

For those like me who are not familiar with the two:

2 Likes

Some more:

Good summary though the context is aesthetics. Look up prf on YouTube and you mostly see dental surgeons use it for bone grafts.

3 Likes

I also recall off the top of my head that PRF gets resorbed into your tissues within 2 weeks of injection and PRP even sooner so I think you’re probably good. Just in your place I’d have definitely insisted on PRF.

1 Like

Given that PRP is supposed to work by driving inflammation and tissue genesis, it does seem like inhibiting mtor during this process might be counter productive. I think you are wise to not be on an active dose during the 2 weeks before and after. I’m just basing this judgement on high level understanding of the mechanisms involved. A month off Rapa over your lifespan isn’t going to have an impact on much.

2 Likes

The most important question you should be asking is what type of PRP you received. Studies show that the concentration and dose delivered by different PRP systems can easily vary over 2000%. Imagine taking Rapa without knowing what dose you were using… Almost no clinics perform PRP analysis, so they just rely on the manufacturers of the PRP kits to tell them what concentration they are using. But this is unreliable as many manufacturers are known to exaggerate the type of PRP they can make. E.g. claiming a PRP platelet concentration of 1 million/uL while independent studies have shown that they might only have 10% (eg. < 100k/uL) of that.

4 Likes

There’s some misleading statements on the infographic.

PRP and PRF are both obtained from a peripheral blood sample, so neither would not contain any meaningful number of stem cells. There is no way a single-spin product (like PRF) would contain 10x platelet concentration compared to whole blood, 2.3-3x at best. Impossible to apply a generalized statement about PRP concentration of any type of cell as there are so many different concentrations and cellular composition makeups of PRP depending on how it’s created. Also most PRP does not have heparin or sodium citrate.

PRF, platelet rich fibrin is just PRP that has been activated which creates a fibrin matrix. It’s a gel-like substance, and needs to be injected before it fully gels up or it won’t pass through the needle. The advantages are it stays in the local tissue are longer than PRP, but when comparing PRF to high concentration PRP (double-spin, verified by hematology analyzer), PRP is capable of much higher platelet concentrations (and thus likely higher growth factor concentrations as they are contained in the platelet vessicles). Dose and composition are also important factors in any PRP/PRF treatment.

4 Likes

It is not always true that PRF has higher GF concentrations compared to PRP. However, considering that the most commonly used PRP systems today are single spin and often lose platelets instead of concentrating them, (thus producing PPP instead of PRP), PRF is preferable as it’s more likely that you’ll have a decent concentration of platelets and growth factors compared to such “conventional” PRP. However, if you can find it, high concentration PRP (would need to be double-spin), with composition analysis done just prior to injection, is best especially for something like joints.

3 Likes

The reality is most “doctors office/clinic” will not have{not willing to spend the money] on analytical equipment to measure at point of use.

If you do not measure (with calibrated instrument) you will not/do not know.

1 Like

That’s right. The next best thing you can do is find out what system they are using, then look up published studies to see if it has been tested independently. There’s several useful reviews which have been published on this topic. In general, PRP with higher platelet concentrations tends to have more RBC and WBC contamination present in the final PRP. Conversely, PRP with higher “purity” has lower platelet concentrations (e.g. most systems that claim to remove 99% of RBCs end up also losing more platelets). The same system can often create a wide range of concentration and composition, even from the same sample.

2 Likes

I have had 5 intra articular PRP injections for my shoulder joint problem. I had these with 4 months in between, I always took 4 days off work to let my shoulder rest. I always did a 2 day water fast before with 6mg Rapa at the start of the fast. One year ago I got a stemm cell injection (from belly fat) instead of the PRP and since then I haven’t had severe pain in my shoulder

1 Like

I had PRP 2017 for “jumper’s knee” and in 2018 for plantar fasciitis. Both were done before I started on Sirolimus and both were very successful, but a big tiling job in 2021 produced knee pain again.
I had PRP again in the same knee in August (3x) but was off Sirolimus when I had it done. Unfortunately I haven’t noticed much relief this time, but perhaps I need to give it more time.

1 Like