Probiotic Microbes Sustain Youthful Serum Testosterone Levels and Testicular Size in Aging Mice

3 Likes

FWIW…

*Lactobacillus reuteri used in the above study.

How to make L. reuteri yogurt: A step-by-step guide

More Skunk Works…

Lactobacillus Reuteri Starter

This is a good review of different types of L. Reuteri and their potential benefits:

Lactobacillus reuteri Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

I have made yogurt out of Biogaia chewable tablets (2 tablets crushed and dissolved per quart), so you can make more batches if/when your yogurt goes bad. Using your prior good batch to make a new batch works fine too.

Here are the strains in this brand:
https://www.biogaia.com/probiotic-health/l-reuteri-strains/

Longecity thread from a while back:

I have eaten this yogurt on and off over the last six years, but never noticed changes to my health.

2 Likes

One of my daughters, doing a masters in engineering on probiotics. She just came back from this conference.

She tells me that “no one, unless they have some diagnosed intestinal issue eg gastrointestinal disorder like IBD, Chrons, IBS, supplementing probiotics in a healthy gut will not do anything. Gut microbiome is very specific to a certain person. There is a very low chance generalized probiotic for everyone will proliferate good bacteria in your gut, and should not be taking probiotics.”

When I started my ketogenic diet, I thought perhaps I had changed my historical gut microbiome, so I added a probiotic.

I cannot say it’s had any identifiable effect given all the other interventions.

1 Like

Yes, I even tried Visibiome/VSL#3, a formulation often used in research, in an effort to reduce gut permeability. But after three months it had almost no effect on the standard gut permeability test, so I quit taking it.

1 Like

Re gut permeability reduction test, treating some diagnosed condition or optimal health marker?

EnrQay, have you read/listened {audiobook] book titled “Super Gut: A Four-Week Plan to Reprogram Your Microbiome, Restore Health, and Lose Weight” by William Davis MD?

Spent the 8+ hours listening yesterday.

Has very good information, that is how I starting looking into Lactobacillus Reuteri.

1 Like

I have some very high gut permeability, probably related to my diabetes, and was hoping to mostly solve that with food and lifestyle, including probiotics. Not so far.

I’ll try Davis’s method of making the yogurt next time. I’ll have a look at the book, but I’m not sure there is any hope for me with this problem–it may be more of symptom of diabetes (type 1) than something that can be fixed by itself.

“The group describes their study of the metabolite isoamylamine (IAA) and its impact on cognitive decline.Prior research has suggested a strong link between gut bacteria and brain health. In this new effort, the researchers looked into the possible impact on the brain of just one metabolite produced by one family of bacteria in the gut, Ruminococcaceae. They found first that IAA becomes more prevalent in the gut as people age due to the presence of more Ruminococcaceae. Their interest in IAA grew when they learned it could pass through the blood-brain barrier”

1 Like

I tried making reuteri yoghurt for a while, a hassle to make and it doesn’t taste that good, kefir is easier and contains reuteri too

Do you make your own kefir?

I do, I use light cream{18% milk fat] cow milk with the grains. Add inulin.

Today first time I am trying a batch with raw goat milk, just the milk and grains.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very easy once you get some grains

1 Like

Aha!! this explains why my T went up from 411 to like 690 this year. I’ve been making L Reuteri all this year and never before.

Amazing, it works to beat hell.