Prelaunch of the Rapamycin Longevity Lab and the use of the wormbot

@KarlT There are probably many reasons why things go slow but I’m convinced we can push things forward in a faster and more efficient way. One reason that I think why the interest is very low in the business field is that it’s not possible to capitalize on it. So we need to rethink things on how we move things forward without relying on businesses. Government funding is also a very slow process but as a crowd we can do so much more for a small effort. Like the example I raised. 3000 people sponsor 100USD to Ora Biomedical and after that we have two revolutionary projects ongoing which will deliver results within months. That is the power of a community. We need to use this power in a good way and now we have a great opportunity to start working together all :pray:

@Neo Big thumbs up! It can be good to just explain the difference between the million molecular challenge and the Rapamycin Longevity Lab. I would say the million molecular challenge is about using the wormbot to do one million longevity intervention experiments within 5 years. Lots of important and revolutionary discoveries will be done thanks to this. I really hope we can do it faster than 5 years.

The community-driven Rapamycin Longevity Lab focuses on moving the field forward around Rapamycin and next-generation mTOR inhibitors. In the first revolutionary project we will get an indication what the combination of different drugs and later on natural compounds has on Rapamycin. In this project we will get data on what combination may be synergistic, additive, canceling or have detrimental longevity effects.

In the second revolutionary project we will screen for better mTOR inhibitors than Rapamycin.

Nobody has done as I said before anything close to the magnitude of what these projects will deliver in data. It’s a very small price for what huge return of data we will get back. So these two projects are something that just must be done. I will dedicate a lot of time and energy to this but I can not do this by myself so we need to do this together. All types of help are appreciated. It can be everything from simple things such as to just spread the word about the lab or to help out in project leading a project or connecting with organizations who can help out in funding etc.

In future the lab will work with other projects in other species and setting up human trials around Rapamycin. So the lab is not only about using the wormbot and partnering with Ora Biomedicals. We will partner with lots of different researchers, other labs and organizations to move the field forward in a much faster way :pray:

@PolishGentleman Yes, I know he has mentioned that they have made a discovery already which they are if I’m not totally wrong applying a patent on. I really like the study which you are thinking about. One thing that I have sketched on as a potential future project when we have the results from the combination of Rapamycin is to create a cocktail project. Little bit similar to the Aubrey de Gray study in mice but with compounds instead. So we pick the top candidates from the combination results and the ones that we think may have complementary effects. We should not for example choose Rapamycin and 4 glucose regulating compounds. After that we do 25 combinations with them. Like combining all 5 with each other. Alla four etc. Such a small project I could fund directly through my company. It would be super interesting to see the results of that :pray:

@RapAdmin If someone can check this with him that would be great. @DeStrider you have already had contact with Richard. Is it something you could check with him?

5 Likes

I certainly don’t know the answer. It just feels like longevity research is engaged in omphaloskepsis (navel gazing). Think about where Rapamycin came from. We should do more of that sort of exploration (digging in the dirt/ mud/ undersea muck) if we hope to find miracles. But I’m satisfied that effort is being made in multiple directions.

2 Likes

@PolishGentleman :+1: I have been sketching on a pipeline for around one year on how we could speed things up so that we get different data points in multiple species in a cost-effective and fast way and eventually up to human trials. It’s very interesting that you lift these different things up to increase the probability to get it to the ITP. There is also one possibility that we take the fast track in ITP without proposal and finance an ITP experiment directly. The cost for that is 450k.

When things calm down a little bit it would be very interesting to discuss the pipeline with you all and see how we could start implementing it in the Rapamycin Longevity Lab :pray:

@John_Hemming I fully agree that we need much more than just the wormbot. As I see these initial projects is that we are starting to set up an highly effective pipeline for getting out a longevity intervention to use in humans in a successful way. So these two initial projects are only mini projects on what will come from the lab. Biohacking and MN=1 to RCTs are things that will come. So step by step forward so that it does not get overwhelming. We need first success in the first projects before adding more projects in how we move things forward :pray:

@Joseph_Lavelle :slight_smile: Love the navel gazing expression! Hopefully the wormbot can give lots of new insights then what we find in the navel :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I woild like to do experiments with the goal of finding synergies.

I would use a mechanistic approach, and try to see if there are synergies.

First, validate the effect of rapamycin ( mTOR inhibitor) with the three kinds of worms. (C Elegans, C Briggsae, C Tropicalis)

Then combine the three kinds of worms with metformin, a SGLT2 inhibitor and acarbose. 3*3 = 9 experiments

Then the same combinations with lithium. 9*2= a totalt of18 experiments

Then test above 18 in combination with nrf2 activator 18*3=36 experiment

Then test the 36 combinations with NO activator 36*2=72 experiments.

Would any combination increase, decrease lifespan or would they cancel each other out?

But then agaian, I don’t know enough about the worm physiology and the worms signalling pathways to create a good experiment.

1 Like

I found it interesting in the most recent Peter Attia podcast with Matt and David S., that Peter mentioned that he thought he and his contacts (he has many wealthy clientel who are very interesting in longevity), could probably fund more research into rapamycin and rapalogs, etc. Given his popularity, and reach, I think that Peter is in a great position to accelerate research and testing in this area. Given his comments in the podcast I think he’s aware of that and will hopefully act more aggressively in this area.

5 Likes

:muscle: same task action group can work in getting in touch with Peter. I set up a group and google docs today :pray:

2 Likes

@Curious When I talked to Matt he said that there is a possibility to do experiments in different worms and also genetic mutations :+1: Your approach is very good aligned with how we will create the Rapamycin Longevity Cocktail for us humans eventually. I really like the testing in multiple worm types. I will have a call with the CEO now on Monday and ask him how hard a such thing would be to conduct.

4 Likes

Yes - the more small, short-lived species, things get tested in, the better (within reason). I also suggested to Mitch Lee that they look at Killifish as they’ve done some wormbot-like testing on that model organism: If you had < $1 million in funding and would work on a science-ish project, what would you use the funding for? - #12 by RapAdmin

3 Likes

Yes, I remember talking about fish bots. Definitely something that would be cool to have, but also still expensive enough that you can’t totally spam experiments. Unfortunately, small, short-lived, culturable deuterosomes are not really common, so they’re maybe as good as it gets there. Also fishes are so photogenic!

For a while I’ve been chasing Daphnia, which have a lot of advantages and can still be cheap and fast. Various rotifer species have advantages too, and are more phylogenetically distant to nematodes (compared to Daphnia), but I don’t know in detail how to grow, drug, or count them.

4 Likes

@Krister_Kauppi Based on Matt Kaberlein’s comments regarding short-lived and long-lived rodent testing, you may want to use a worm breed that already has a long lifespan so that you are not picking interventions that just help short-lived breeds live a normal lifespan.

For experiments, I would use the normal strain of C. Elegans as well as the longest-lived strain and compare the results.

2 Likes

I don’t agree that a big benefits of this would be to find a 100x better rapamycin. Rapamycin is already a great mTOR inhibitor that inhibits mTOR in a clean way without off target effects. As far as inhibiting mTOR, it doesn’t get much better than that. I don’t think we really need a better one although it’s worth a try. If some mTOR inhibitor would be better I think it would only be better in terms of maybe having a shorter half-life making it easier to cycle on and off quickly, or if it was a cheaper drug, or if it had a different tissue distribution that’s somehow more beneficial.

Anyways, I’m not particularly positive on this wormbot experiment. I think worms are close to worthless as far as life-extension experiments go. They’re just too different from mammals. The benefit is mainly the low cost of testing tons of things so it’s useful as far as finding new things to potentially test in rodents, but the conversion rate to effectiveness in rodents is going to be super low. I appreciate the initiative though and given the low cost of experiments on worms it’s not a bad idea.

2 Likes

Interesting! The main goal is to create the Rapamycin Longevity Cocktail for us humans which will increase the chance for people to live well and above 100 years. How would you set up the steps to achieve this in an efficient way? I’m thinking that the cocktail will probably contain around 3-5 compounds which creates a powerful synergistic longevity effect when they are combined with Rapamycin. So in the first step we need to find what those 3-5 compounds are. Is the wormbot a good way of screening after these 3-5 compounds or do you think there are better ways of doing this?

2 Likes

I am quite inclined to @Olafurpall s view in that worm metabolism is quite different, but it is still similar DNA so depending upon cost it is a useful step.

As people know I am ploughing a furrow relating to gene expression, but that is not as simple as taking the same pills every day at the same time and in the same dosage. I phase things and lots like that. That is really hard without the biohacking approach.

2 Likes

Honestly, I always thought the following combination would work:

Rapamycin + Metformin + Taurine + Glycine + Cysteine (NAC)

But that’s my WAG generated from my extensive reading. I also take all the above.

3 Likes

I think we have to remember that science didn’t even know about mTOR until they looked into what rapamycin was doing. What else does science not know anything about? The wormbots are looking for that new thing that we didn’t know to look for.

When I said 100x better rapamycin, I didn’t mean mTOR. I mean an entirely new thing.

4 Likes

Hi
I signed up but it didn’t appear to go through , can you confirm I am now a member please
Thanks
Dyllis

Thanks for reaching out. I see other people have registered quite recently but but I don’t find your name there. I will send you a direct message here on Rapamycin.news and we can talk more private in that thread to see what error you have got.

Also, reaching some famous longevity youtubers could help

For example DrBradStanfield and SiimLand often talk about NIA ITP - if they could create some Tweet or short youtube announcement about Rapamycin Longevity Lab / WormBot, it could gain some funding

1 Like

Any thoughts on how to create a strong win-win for them to that? I have sent to some with no response yet.

I don’t know but there may be some ideas:

1. Charity
    1. Having their name on your webpage
    1. Writing to them about creating podcast where you will talk about WormBot and Rapamycin Longevity Lab
    1. Talking about how big impact of this would be

Probably it would be something like that but more thoughtful:
“Hi, I love your vidoes!
I have an idea about testing 3000 drugs in C Elegans to check their effect on lifespan extension with low cost.
If you like this idea, you could retweet my Tweet link_to_tweet_with_description or mention this in one of your videos”

Also, some other people who are doing longevity videos who could be reached:

• Mikhail Blagosklonny
  • TheSheekeyScienceShow
  • ModernHealthspan
  • DrAndrewSteele
  • BryanJohnson

The more people you would reach, the higher chance that someone would respond
Even one Tweet or YT video from someone famous could bring a lot of funding

1 Like