Positive side effects of rapamacin in organ transplant patients?

Is there any studies on positive side effects of rapamycin intake in organ transplant patients?

1 Like

I have been curious about that too. Are there reports of transplant patients who did very well with the transplant and had very noticeable anti-aging effects from the large intake of rapamycin?

1 Like

Yes - this is an issue that would seem to be a natural one to investigate, as these people will have been taking rapamycin / sirolimus for many years, perhaps decades already.

We’ll have to ask Matt K., but I believe that it hasn’t been investigated, in part because there are so many confounding variables with organ transplant patients… these people typically have been on a cocktail of medications for many years, phasing in some drugs over time, and others out…

But - you would think that you’d be able to get some specific data that might be valid and helpful - for example looking at female transplant patients who have been on rapamycin for decades, and checking key measures of fertility. This seems like a study that VitaDAO would fund, if it has not been done yet.

1 Like

My Twitter Post:

Matt’s response:

2 Likes

I don’t follow much in the way of transplant patients on twitter or anywhere else - but have seen this woman post quite a bit on Twitter, she’s a transplant patient, and follows Blagosklonny… she posts quite frequently on how rapamycin seems to be helping her. I believe she doses at the level of 1mg rapamycin every day:

1 Like

Very interesting! I have been digging pubmed today and this is what I found.

Transplant patients have a very high risk of skin cancer.

“Data suggest that rapamycin could have a protective effect against skin cancer.”

“Switching from calcineurin inhibitors to sirolimus had an antitumoral effect among kidney-transplant recipients with previous squamous-cell carcinoma.”

“…patients taking sirolimus after developing posttransplant cancer had a lower risk of developing subsequent skin cancer, with no increased risk for overall mortality.”

Here is a study on influenza vaccination on transplant patients.

“Following tri-valent influenza vaccination, a similar rise in antibody titer occurred in sirolimus and calcineurin inhibitor (CNI) treated patients, though sirolimus treated patients developed a ‘protective’ titer to more influenza antigens.”

2 Likes

Here is another study

Maintenance immunosuppression with the TOR inhibitor drugs, sirolimus and everolimus, is associated with a significantly reduced risk of developing any posttransplant de novo malignancy and non-skin solid malignancy.

And this one

Sirolimus was associated with a reduction in the risk of malignancy and non-melanoma skin cancer in transplant recipients. The benefit was most pronounced in patients who converted from an established immunosuppressive regimen to sirolimus.

1 Like

Since I have been taking rapamycin my chronic actinic keratoses have dropped to zero. Actinic keratosis is a skin cancer precursor.

2 Likes

Here is a nice one sentence summary of beneficial side effects of rapamycin in transplant patients:

“There are also beneficial side effects in transplant patients, including fewer skin cancers, non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas, viral infections, and reduced cardiac allograft vasculopathy.”

1 Like