Oridonin extends lifespan of mice by 9.7%

Oridonin is the major active ingredient of the traditional Chinese medicinal herb Rabdosia rubescens, aka Dong Ling Cao.

Excerpt:
“[W]e selected 16-month-old C57BL/6J male mice to conduct lifespan and healthy lifespan tests under the intervention of oridonin. During the experiment, the oridonin treatment group extended the average life span of mice from 394 to 479 days (85 days, approximately 21.6% extension).”

3 Likes

If you compare the median lifespan of these mice to that if the NIA ITP trials, the numbers don’t look so good… (on my phone right now so hard to paste info)

I just read more from the full text:

“Throughout the life process, the oridonin treatment group extended the average life span of mice from 874 to 959 days (85 days, approximately 9.7% extension)”

So what they were actually reporting in the abstract is that oridonin extends remaining life expectancy by 21.6% when started at 16 months of age. And the overall effect on lifespan was an extension of 9.7%. On a graph, 16 months would have become day 1, rather than the date of birth.

This wasn’t initially clear because the abstract just says that it “extended the average life span of naturally aged mice by 21.6%.”

I modified the title accordingly.

5 Likes