Optimal Glucose levels?

Weird, this article would imply that glucose levels above 6.9 are safer than glucose levels of 6.1 to 6.9 mmol/L.

I think may have been overly concerned about my FBG which is currently on the borderline of 99ml/DL. After all type II diabetics treated with metformin apparently live longer than the average population The fact that rapamycin when I was taking high doses raised my FBG levels made me a little concerned. My primary care provider was not concerned at all about my FBG levels. He doesn’t know I take rapamycin.

" Thirdly, the risk of all-cause mortality associated with impaired fasting glucose was mainly attributed to fasting plasma glucose concentrations in the range 6.1-6.9 mmol/L."
(~109 to 124 mg/dL)
“In this study, we found that the risk of composite cardiovascular events and coronary heart disease was increased in the general population with a HbA1c concentration of 39-47 mmol/mol (5.7-6.4%)”

BTW, acarbose works astonishingly well for me. In fact, I will have to keep a close eye on my blood glucose levels while I am taking it. Today I had a high-carb breakfast preceded by taking 50mg of acarbose and my BSL was 82mg/dL three hours later.
This is lower than my fasting blood sugar level.

2 Likes
1 Like

Anyone with abdominal obesity representing visceral fat accumulation have an insulin resistance problem which will ultimately lead to elevated blood sugars.
Recent studies show that the problem isn’t the blood glucose itself, but rather its metabolites which are dependent on an enzyme. This could explain why elevation of FBS affects some people much more than others.

2 Likes

As I have posted before. A CH company beat everyone to selling “glucose watch’s” to the public for less than $50.00

Look up E400, E500 and EP01 on AliExpress

1 Like

I got one ordered. Can’t wait. Maybe by Christmas?
thanks,

1 Like

The watch came about 4 days ago. It is a lot of fun, but not accurate at all on the glucose. My glucose is always between 75 and 95 because I’m keto and when I eat veg or berries I have acarbose with it. In spite of that the watch is frequently off by 20. It seems to be random, up… down…by different amounts. I thought maybe calibration or just figure out what the numbers mean, so I did a spreadsheet for a few days of FG, before main meal, hour after main meal, the values really are random.

Blood pressure seems closer, though I have not really made a study of it. Heart rate gets worse at high values, like when you need it. Blood oxygen has never worked.

It keeps time really well and is easy to use. The battery is good. Keeps track of sleep, though I don’t need that function. It can find my phone, has a decent calculator, stopwatch and can trigger a picture being taken with my phone.

It is better than the watch I have been using, the casio calculator watch, designed and built in the 1970’s. I’ll wear it for awhile. Thanks again Joseph!

1 Like

Which model did you purchase?

FWIW

Do you take the tape/seal covering the sensors on the back?

I ask as I had the tape/seal on for several weeks before I noticed. And the watch operated with tape/seal on.

1 Like

Ha ha ha, yes I took off the tape. I got the e500, like I said it’s a good watch just a bad glucose tester.

Nice looking and light weight for a smartwatch. I was thinking of giving them for christmas, but probably not.

Did yours do a reasonable job on glucose? Did the oxymeter work? I used the accu check finger stick meter to check mine.

To be fair if as a watch it does glucose testing which links in any way to real glucose that is quite clever. I am going to strap on a Dexcom G7 some time in the next week or so (I need to think carefully about placement and the timing of calibration blood tests. I probably need to visit the lab to do a proper calibration. ) However, if the watch follows glucose in any predictable manner that would be really good.

All works, my glucose compared to a blood test {LabCorp] one time test with the E400 was with in 6mg/dL at the same time.

Have all 3 watches, E500, E400 and the EP01{Received this the other day 11/30 have not tried this one, the is for my other half, she has been using the E500 it is too big for her.]

FWIW

You are aware there is a setting in the app{H Band] to adjust the glucose reading

As an example I just sat here and ran it 4 times in a row. Sitting quietly. Of course I can’t figure out how to make it read out in english units, but multiplying by 18, the numbers were:
and the accu chek came in at 96. About an hour after a pot roast with carrots and onions.

It usually comes in low, which makes me feel good, but of course it’s wrong then too.

I’m thinking it isn’t properly making contact with my skin, but when I push gently down on it, it does the same thing. I was thinking of shaving my wrist. Why make it work through the hair?

Anyway I like the watch. I ran today and the numbers are all on there and look pretty good. I’d like to sync it to the polar belt around my chest so that the HR would be correct.

Thanks Joseph,

1 Like

Try adjusting your accu chek fasting reading to about the same reading in the H Band app.

Can’t believe I actually found that page and got it set. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks again

I am going to give the E500 a try, but it won’t arrive until the new year.

I have had quite a varied set of glucose results. When the test was delayed quite substantially the lab panicked because glucose was 2.9 mmol/L which is about 52 mg/L. That was, however, because of the glucose metabolising in the blood sample which they should have known.

Normally I don’t fast for a blood test as I am having them so frequently. It is interesting, however, that an optimal fasting glucose for a male 25 year old looks to be 88 mg/L or 4.9 mmol/L. 5 seems to be quite reasonable really.

This is another area where the biological age algorithms go awry because they treat lower glucose as better even if it goes below 86 (the median for late teens) which according to the all cause mortality calculations is potentially a problem anyway.

FWIW

Read the ads/postings, for a few dollars more they include the optional chest band with a few electrodes. If you plan on using the chest band you should purchase more electrodes.

1 Like