No data on longevity benefits of rapamycin in humans?

So very true. Or as MB stated: “The time is now.”

1 Like

I’m 35, taking 6mg/wk since October 2021. Sometimes with grapefruit. Combined with diet, exercise and supplements I hope to prevent or slow down aging until the science catches up.

Anecdotally, I’ve seen a reduction in gray hair but possibly increased LDL and glucose, and low iron. I am tracking this monthly now and fixing through diet hopefully.

I recently added a 0.1% rapamycin skin cream to my daily routine, we’ll see in a few months if it helps.

All of this to say that I’m not waiting for a gold standard double blind massive cohort human study :rofl:

5 Likes

You started the same month I did. At your relatively young age I think 6mg/wk is an amply sufficient dose. You have plenty of time to adjust later if the ongoing research indicates that some adjustment would be helpful.

BTW, would you mind sharing your source for the 0.1% rapamycin skin cream?

3 Likes

Actually Exercise is not that effective in extending lifespan among the upper percentiles… in fact often centenarians exercise either less than or at most equal to their peers, Meaning its decreasing mortality in a way thats not truely antiaging.

Rapamycin on the other hand is likely to work in humans as it does in other mammals , similarly to protein restriction… thats why rapamycin works so universally. In fact most of the benefits of rapamycin overlap with restricting animal protein. High animal protein = short-term fitness and reproduction , when low = long term health.

2 Likes

I made the lotion myself using this kit: Basic Water-in-Silicone Serum Kit | Lotioncrafter and rapamycin powder from adooq.com

I dissolved it in Ethoxydiglycol (also available on lotioncrafter). 1g to dissolve 30mg of rapa. Substitute it for 1g of the distilled water in the recipe.

30g of lotion with 30mg rapa for 0.1% strength.

Once it runs out I’ll make another batch and I’ll post a step by step thread if there’s interest.

4 Likes

DYI Rapamycin cream overview here: DIY Rapamycin skin cream

1 Like

I disagree. I think Joan Mannick’s human clinical trial which reported that RAD001 once weekly provided elderly humans (65 and older) with a significant boost to their immune system is important. Also, Dr. Vera Gorbunova’s study documenting that rapamycin activates genes associated with maximum lifespan in long-lived animals…and at the same time, does not promote activity of genes associated with accelerated aging in long-lived animals is also an important study suggesting that rapamycin will likely slow down the onset of age-related diseases in humans, resulting in increased healthspan and lifespan.

4 Likes

I agree with you Ross but today it’s only Joan Mannicks study which is the only human trial which is aligned with the longevity regime humans use. It will be really great when the PEARL study deliveries it’s results but today we only have one study even if a lot of other things points that rapamycin is potentially really good. I have decided not to wait for more human studies in the area before I start taking it. But I can understand that other people are not willing to take a bet.

One other thing also if we look at the Joan Mannicks paper. That is not study on humans on rapmycin. It’s a study on a rapalog. Even if there are similarities between rapamycin and rapalogs there is also some differences. So if we are little bit tough when it comes to rapamycin then we can say there does not exists today any human studies based on the common longevity regime (weekly or bi-weekly) dose.

Krister,

I think its the nature of longevity science and human lifespans that we don’t have this type of data. We will never in our lifespans have a drug that is proven to increase human lifespans… a clinical study that does this (for any drug) will take decades to complete and tens of millions of dollars. No company would do this, and its even questionable whether any governments would fund this.

If you’re going to wait for human lifespan studies with any drug, to prove with high certainty that it increases human lifespans and health spans, you will never adopt any therapeutic.

Its a risk/reward analysis that people have to make. If a drug has worked in 84 research studies increasing lifespan in other organisms, from yeast, to worms, to flies to mice, and the drug is FDA approved and used by millions of people, many of us say that is a reasonable bet. Others will wait for their entire life for conclusive evidence and never get it. Its a personal choice. Watch the video below, Peter accurately conveys my perspective on the issue.

There is a saying I’ve heard in many startup companies in the Silicon Valley. “Perfect” is the enemy of “Good”. If you’re waiting for the perfect solution to something, you’re likely going to miss many solutions that are good enough to move forward. Its a philosophy for moving things forward faster with reason. You can wait for the perfect longevity drug, or adopt a good one now.

4 Likes

I agree on all your points…! And, I’m with you…I’m not waiting…I started taking rapamycin about 9 months ago…

3 Likes

We don’t have definitive data on rapamycin and longevity in humans and we probably never will. Too long. Too expensive. And even then the skeptics will want to know if the results can be replicated.

But as Blagosklonny has said, we don’t die of aging, we die of age related diseases and those diseases have certain commonalities like senescence, immune dysfunction, inflammation, mitochondrial dysfunction, etc.

We have data in humans, both in the Mannick study and in the study on the prevention of prostate cancer, that rapamycin improves the immune system. It actually increases naive T cells and reduces T cell exhaustion.

We also have data in renal transplant patients that rapamycin prevents cancer, and it lessens CVD risk in heart transplant patients.

There’s reams of data on rapamycin as an anti inflammatory, autophagy and mitophagy inducer, and inhibitor of senescence. All of these are important findings.

We’ll never know with absolute certainty but the benefit/ risk ratio surpasses most other drugs on the market today.

5 Likes

I agree with everything you say here. I think also the data is good enough for taking a good bet in this area but it’s good to have in mind that the rapamycin dose regime the longevity community is using has not been studied yet in humans. But when the PEARL trial is completed we will have a first study in humans on rapamycin (and not rapalog like in Mannicks study) which will be a important step forward. Even if this study will not be able to show longevity benefits it can most likely show if one year of rapamycin is aligned with longevity or not with a common longevity dose regime. But again, I will not wait until this study is completed to start taking rapamycin. I don’t see a big value in waiting for this.

1 Like

In the near future we will get data from different studies on rapamycing which are aligned with the common dose regime in the longevity community. This data will not show a actual longevity benefit but it will show if the dose regime is aligned with longevity and not and that is good enough indication to start with and build more studies from.

The data from studies on other dose regimes than the common dose regime in the longevity community are interesting data. Most likely there are some overlaps between the to different dose regimes but there also exists things that don’t overlap. So we don’t know what positive or negative things we are missing out with a lower dose regime.

But regardless of this I myself see rapamycin as a great bet to make. I don’t see any big risks in taking it and if it works that would be great. If it doesn’t have any benefit then it’s no problem because there was not any big risk that I took. It’s like buying a lottery ticket with a good probability to win as I see it.

1 Like

Yes - I’m looking forward to the PEARL study results too, but it’s really a pretty minimal clinical study if you look at it closely. They are testing weekly dosing which is nice - but we’ve already got thousands of people doing weekly dosing with minimal problems, so for most of use there won’t be much news from the study. Its a short term study - a year or two, and their key end point is loss of visceral fat (so not really very related to aging)… so it will be good primarily from a safety perspective, that healthy people can take the drug for a few years without any problems. And hopefully some measurable benefit - but in two years you are not going to measure any aging changes I suspect. So mainstream doctors are still going to say that there is no proven efficacy in humans in terms of slowing or preventing aging. More clinical studies are still needed.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not a perfect study but it will give an indication with higher degree of evidence in the area compare to all anecdotal data out there. So it’s a important step which most likely will also increase the interest even more in doing more studies and funding in the area. It will also start killing the common myth that the longevity dose regime has an immunosuppressive effect like the dose regime transplant patients gets. So it will be a good first step to get the ball rolling even more :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like those of us here will be creating a lot of n=1 Rapamycin trials. We have started on a journey together which we all hope will lead to a better and longer future. Along the way there may be problems or pitfalls but we are here for each other. This is a fellowship which will benefit each and every one of us. Thank you for your help and I look forward to learning with you for the decades to come.

3 Likes

Yes step by step these N=1 move things forward <3

I don’t know… doing the baseline GlycanAge and then follow-up later can show a reduction in inflammation and reverse to Glycan proteins of a much younger person. That happened to me in 2-years of rapamycin. So maybe some anti-aging - reverse aging evidence will be found.

1 Like

Yeah I think if you were able to do a deep metabolic baseline, tons of “aging” markers like inflammation, methylation, etc…I think 2 yrs on relatively high dose rapamycin, you’d see a “change” in some of the select “aging” markers. But rapamycin suppresses WBC, increases anemia risk, TG (lipids) and A1c…how in the world can these be associated with reduced all cause mortality and lifespan increase? It appears the Levine phenoage clock blows up on rapamycin?? Is rapamycin working at some deeper more fundamental level beyond TOR 1/2…stem cell rejuvenation, gero-conversion delay?

Uncharted waters.

3 Likes

I’ve started sirolimus and am on testosterone. My wife said that my hair has started to darken from gray. I am not sure yet, but hard to disagree, it is hard to see the back of my head. LOL

4 Likes