NMN + CD38 increases lifespan in males!

I took it after the flight when I arrived.

4 Likes

what brand you would recommend?

The only brand I used is DoNotAge. Too many of the other brands have no NMN in them. There was a report done about the percentage of NMN in Amazon products and it was amazing how many were fake.

To save on costs, I buy the powder and mix it with EVOO.

3 Likes

This youtube video that goes through all human studies of NMN is pretty negative on the effects on this overpriced and overhyped supplement. I am definitely never going to spend any more money on this.

5 Likes

The most interesting takeaway from this video is that it may be of benefit to overweight and older (50+) individuals. It probably doesnā€™t make sense to take NMN unless you belong to one of these groups.

Iā€™ll be switching to NR when my current supply runs out. I still think thereā€™s enough positive data on NAD. But, no need for NMN when NR will do the same.

2 Likes

I take lipo nmn/apigenin mainly for the energy/libido kick, not for longevity though apigenin might have a hand (though liposomal delivery is controversial and Iā€™m guessing untested)

What is the advantage of taking one of the expensive NAD+ boosting supplements like NR or NMN vs niacin or nicotinamide? Donā€™t they all boost NAD?

No, I believe NR or NMN are superior. But you can pick the cheaper of the two.

ā€œSuperiorā€ as in bigger effect for lower dose? I take niacin and nicatinamide (rotate) anyway so would I also need to take NR or NMN? Iā€™m betting no so far. Let me know if Iā€™m wrong.

50-100mg of niacin is all you need. NR has failed the ITP, NNM/NR have failed most human trials, extended release niacin can cause liver damage and high dose niacin did not lower all cause mortality in clinical trials done decades ago.

4 Likes

I think youā€™d only take NR or NMN if you want elevated blood NAD levels. For me itā€™s a source of energy as it completely gets rid of jet lag for me. I travel a lot, so thatā€™s what I use it for primarily.

It also makes me bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning.

2 Likes

@DeStrider and @Joseph_Lavelle - might make sense to do blood tests of NAD levels and then you can modulate your levels (and confirm NR or NMN) from there. Think that is what Michael Lustgarten (and Bryan Johnson) have been doing.

1 Like

@Virilius thanks for providing these thoughts to help round out the picture and the risks.

I think Micheal Lustgarten will fight you on that statement, his NAD levels barely made a bump with NMN, but with Niacinamide he got a huge rise.

1 Like

I used to take NR when I didnā€™t believe Sinclair was a product huckster. I never felt anything. Iā€™m glad it does work for you and others. At this point Iā€™ll need Kaeberlein to stop saying thereā€™s nothing there before I consider it. I donā€™t feel anything from niacin (aside from flushing) or nicotinamide either, so they are also on the chopping block as I sort out my smaller list of supplements.

2 Likes

This talk brings up the complexity of human biology and how little we actually know about what is happening in our body, when we supplement with NR/NMN. How is it distributed in the body? Is it better to improve NAD metabolism with other means than using precursors?

3 Likes

Exactlyā€¦ I like to find the most cost-effective means of accomplishing my goals, and that would suggest not using NMN or NR.

2 Likes

Sounds like something to try when I run out of NMN.

I think this video puts the last nail in the coffin for me regarding NMN. The main reason I took it was for energy and I feel that my other supplements may do as good of a job if not better. Iā€™ll finish up my stock and stop wasting money. I still think itā€™s a great cure for jetlag, but that just doesnā€™t justify the cost.

2 Likes

Have you just changed your mind about NMN or about NAD overall?

I recently listened to this and thought it was relatively balanced and walked away being more bullish NAD

1 Like