NMN + CD38 increases lifespan in males!

I have just started taking NMN sublingually, and I find that it is less potent than mixing it into EVOO along with my Apigenin, and Resveratrol. It seems, anecdotally in my case, that dissolving in EVOO enhances the positive effects.

1 Like

Dried parsley is the food with the highest amount of Apigen the CD38 inhibitor. Price wise it’s cheaper than buying a supplement. I liberally sprinkle it over 1 meal each day.

4 Likes

Mike Lustgarten has been doing parsley supplementation for CD38 inhibition and monitoring his blood work and I think I remember him saying he’s seen no influence on his blood biomarkers that would give him reason to believe its working. Don’t know the specific video. Here is one where he talks about it more generally:

4 Likes

His biological age is probably too low to be seeing any elevation in CD38

Meh. “Apigenin: A Promising Molecule for Cancer Prevention”
The key word here: “Promising”
I can’t find human trials that show Apigenin does anything.
And if it does, does it do anything more than rapamycin alone?
Besides, I don’t like parsley and the pure stuff is too expensive to be taken as an unproven supplement.
Just one more supplement that I won’t be adding to my already too-long stack.
Show me the proof.

2 Likes

There is the added issue of higher levels of parsley can have a huge impact on your blood sirolimus levels - 4X to 7X increase in blood levels. See here: Using Parsley to increase Rapamycin Blood Levels

2 Likes

Good to know as I am taking Apigenin. I am really ramping up Rapamycin slowly. I am concerned that GFJ + Apigenin+ Black pepper + tumeric is giving me a multiplier beyond 3x. And who knows if any of the other supplements I take are adding or subtracting from the effects.

Good news is the canker sore I thought I was getting never materialised. Also weird that I am experiencing better sleep instead of worse from Rapamycin. I guess we are all truly different biochemically.

1 Like

I think as long as you take rapamycin the morning, your sleep is likely to be better and not worse. I’ve slept much better with rapamycin. Unless I take it in the afternoon or evening; in which case I can’t sleep until hours after my usual bed time.

2 Likes

I definitely have to take it in the morning. One time I did not have chance to take it till around 3 pm. I tossed and turned, finely said to heck with it and got up at 4 am.

1 Like

Just as a side note, Apigenin is suppose to be good for sleep. Suppose to be anxiolytic and have an affinity to GABA-A receptors.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Hamtaro! I didn’t realize that. Sometimes I wonder if these supplements increase lifespan by giving better sleep.

1 Like

It seems that higher cholesterol is actually good for seniors.

The association could prevailingly be described as ‘a reverse J-shaped’ association, where low TC was associated with the highest total mortality in the population of 80±year olds. Most of the observational studies found this trend of association, whereas a few found a U-shaped association, where high TC was associated with increasing mortality as well.

1 Like

“No clear optimal level of TC was identified”
Many of the markers that Michael Lustgarten Ph.D. has researched seem to have a U shaped curve for all cause mortality.
I don’t currently take any statins, instead, I replaced mine with niacin.
The plan is to just to keep my TC and LDL-C in the “healthy” range.

2 Likes

There is a Linus Pauling protocol to lower cholesterol, involving megadose vit C and lysine. A Dr. Matthias Rath added proline to the protocol. Some vitamin adherents (Owen Fonorow) even wrote a book about the protocol, entitled “Practicing Medicine Without a License?”

Here is a summary from Jeffrey Dach, MD.

My brother did the protocol, without the proline. He took 3G vit C, 2G lysine and 300 mg niacin daily. He also did long walks. Don’t know how long, because he had no pedometer. He was already on statins when the following lipid panel was taken on 06/04/2008

TC 409
HDL 35
LDL 262
Triglycerides 6.35

almost two months after (07/31/2008), it was the following"

TC 245
HDL 50
LDL 138
Triglycerides 3.17

That is anecdotal evidence of one. There is more anecdotal evidence in the book. I bought the book many years ago. It is just a book of testimonials.

3 Likes

Well! I had a triple bypass 5 years ago. Cardiologists said this was my only option. He was just going to put one stent, but he said “the problem would just continue and I would have to have the operation at some point so it was in my interest to do it while I was overall health”. He has sense retired so I cannot bring this article to him and say “why the hell you did not tell me about this?”

1 Like

It doesn’t vindicate NMN and other NAD precursors… There was no mention of NMN or NR in the paper cited. Lifespan increase was produced by a CD38 inhibitor, a substance they call 78c.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acel.13589

Maximum lifespan of both male and female mice was 1000 + days. At 50% survival, males were at about 850 days, versus females at about 750. See pic in study (figure c). I do not know where Matt Kaeberlein got his 300 days. No such chart in the study.

So, speaking of CD38 inhibition, Michael Lustgarten says the best substances are Kuromanin (found in Black Elderberries and Blueberries), and Luteolin (found in radicchio, Mexican Orgegano, and celery seeds. Lustgarten says they are even better CD38 inhibitors than his earlier reviewed apigenin and quercetin.

I tried NMN, from some vendor in Amazon, then later Alive by Science. Nyet. Will try this other approach - CD38 inhibition.

3 Likes

I like Mike Lustgarten, but I have to say I wouldn’t listen to what him or anyone else says about something being a good inhibitor of CD38 (or of other things) unless they support it with evidence indicating that it works in vivo. In case of Lustgarten and these CD38 inhibitors, he fails to look into whether there is any reasonable chance that they would work in vivo. Most plant compounds are heavily metabolized in the digestive tract and by the liver and have very poor bioavailability and you can’t just look at in vitro studies and expect something to work when ingested.

Mike Lustgarten is currently taking apigenin in an effort to inhibit CD38 to raise his NAD+ levels. While in theory that’s a good idea, practically I think it’s a long stretch to think that would have even a slightest effect.

Apigenin has indeed been shown to inhibit CD38, but this only occurs to a significant degree with concentrations of apigenin well into the micromolar range. Flavonoid apigenin is an inhibitor of the NAD+ ase CD38: implications for cellular NAD+ metabolism, protein acetylation, and treatment of metabolic syndrome - PubMed Unfortunately that’s simply a concentration that is unreasonable to obtain by eating parsley.
The bioavailability of apigenin is poor in mice due to extensive metabolism in the digestive tract and also additional metabolism by the liver of whatever amount is absorbed. The bioavailability is even worse in humans. In fact, in a study where healthy adults ingested massive doses of parsley (150 g daily) the maximum apigenin concentration in plasma only reached the high nanomolar range. At such concentrations you would be lucky to get even 1% inhibition of CD38, which means that ingestion of parsley is very unlikely to have any effects on NAD+ levels downstream of CD38 inhibition in humans. Bioavailability of apigenin from apiin-rich parsley in humans - PubMed I think even high dose apigenin supplements are unlikely to make a dent in CD38 levels in humans.

Personally I wouldn’t waste money on trying to ingest apigenin (or any other plant compounds) to raise NAD+ levels.

5 Likes

Lustgarten experience confirms your opinion.

3 Likes

$250 for the jinfinity at home NAD test kit.

nope. Still thinking about Bristle though.

I am taking Apigenin already for sleep benefits (35mg of Lipo Agigenin from Renue, supposed to be as good as 100mg due to 90% bioavailability), but I am intrigued with the CD38 inhibition : Your linked paper estimates it will takes 0.9g - 4.5g / day of pure Apigenin (based on 30% bioavailability) to achieve the required plasma concentration for CD38 inhibition. 1g/day of Apigenin from DoNotAge comes to around $2/day, not cheap but worth it if it inhibits CD38 and raises NAD+ levels without all the risks that come with NMN/NR raising NAD+ levels too high. Of course if it takes 5g/day ($10/day) that would be unaffordable for most folks as a way to raise NAD+.

I am thinking of getting 2 Jinfinity NAD test kits and doing a test before starting 1g/day of Apigenin and retesting NAD after 2 months.

Update : I misread the original article : It requires the 0.9g -4.5g dosage every 8 hours, 3x/day, since the half life of Apigenin is only 4 hours.

3 Likes