Niacin - Continuing Education Activity

Niacin

Continuing Education Activity

Djadjo S, Bajaj T.

3 Likes

Another compound that may do this and may do that, further investigation needed. I seem to be reading that a lot lately.

Niacin for treatment of disease’s has been around for a long time.

The first medical book on niacinamide, I am aware of was published in the late 1940’s {1948-49] William Kaufman, MD, PhD.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/s/sclead/umich-scl-kaufman?view=text#Summary%20Information

There are minimal profits in non -IP compounds/treatments, this is the real reason why there is no rea$earch preformed.

1 Like

I am not a fan of niacin or statins. Both have side effects. In therapeutic doses, niacin causes unpleasant flushing in many people. Possible liver problems at higher doses, especially in the anti-flushing timed-release versions. I have discontinued both. Looking at my medical history, diet and exercise keep my lipids at a healthy level. Rapamycin raised all of my lipids, good and bad, possibly I was dosing too high. I am taking a break from rapamycin for 6 months or so while I take meclizine as a mild mTORC1 inhibitor. I will be taking a lipid panel test monthly and a CBC and comprehensive metabolic panel bi-monthly

FWIW: For me, exercise seems to have a greater effect on lowering my lipid levels even when my weight stays the same. Stop exercising, lipids rise, except HDL.

To my understanding taking the flush version Niacin improves HDL and decreases LDL.
Wouldn’t that be a good option when taking Rapamycin instead of adding a statin.
I´m about to start Rapamycin in four weeks time and have been taking 1mg of flush Niacin every day before exercise or sauna

As I said I take neither. After taking rapamycin for ~5 months my HDL was 60 and my LDL was 74. No supplements are as good as exercise and diet to keep your lipids in control.