New Study: Rapamycin protects against Alzheimers in Mouse Model

Geroprotective interventions in the 3xTg mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease

Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is an age-associated neurodegenerative disease. As the population ages, the increasing prevalence of AD threatens massive healthcare costs in the coming decades. Unfortunately, traditional drug development efforts for AD have proven largely unsuccessful. A geroscience approach to AD suggests that since aging is the main driver of AD, targeting aging itself may be an effective way to prevent or treat AD. Here, we discuss the effectiveness of geroprotective interventions on AD pathology and cognition…

We also discuss the promising preclinical results of geroprotective pharmaceuticals, including rapamycin and medications for type 2 diabetes. Though these interventions and treatments have beneficial effects in the 3xTg-AD model, there is no guarantee that they will be as effective in humans, and we discuss the need to examine these interventions in additional animal models as well as the urgent need to test if some of these approaches can be translated from the lab to the bedside for the treatment of humans with AD.

Paper (paywalled):

5 Likes

I’ve always felt that rapamycin was promising and have a great affect on Alzheimers disease.

I just look at what it’s done for me with memory recall from use over 2 years… off the charts.

Great news. Now do human tests.

1 Like

Anyone who has access know which meds this part refers to “ and medications for type 2 diabetes”