New Scientist: A new class of anti-ageing drugs has arrived – which ones really work?

Does anyone here have access to the full text of this article?

1 Like

I do have it now. click on the link below:

Just googled how to unpaywall New Scientist article and found this Firefox extension: magnolia1234 / Bypass Paywalls Firefox Clean · GitLab
Works perfectly

4 Likes

Thanks, @Ilya_M Much appreciated.

Just click on the New Scientist link Ilya posted - its all there.

1 Like

Not a very useful article, IMHO. They mention Rapamycin as a senomorphic which is great, but it’s very cursory and their final recommendation is ‘Don’t try this at home’. It’s kind of an overview of senolytics, which is mostly waiting for Godot… I mean Mayo (Kirkland). There was a lot of hype a couple years ago, but now the silence is deafening.

They say that Quercetin may lead to kidney damage. I may cut that one out of my stack…

4 Likes

Ilya, that is an awesome find - thanks for sharing.

It allows access to all kinds of websites that I’d like to look at occasionally, but can’t justify subscribing to… like the Wall Street Journal (wsj.com) , FinancialTimes (FT.com),

Incidentally - there is another app/plugin I use that has some surprising abilities like the one you identified. You install the browser plugin to save articles as you come across them.

Its called “Pocket” - downloadable to your phone/ipad, etc. from the app store - and at:

Its primarily a way to save articles from the web to read later … when you have time.
But - it surprised me in that it also gets around many different paywalls. For example - you can go to The Economist, and save any article that has a paywall - and then its readable in your “Pocket Account”. Same for The Atlantic Magazine, and Foreign Policy magazine…

3 Likes

A Senolytic Drug May Already Be in the Clinic

Look and this senolytic!!!

1 Like

Thanks Ilya. If you have time please post a readable version of https://www.newscientist.com/article/2354698-a-blast-of-ultrasound-waves-could-rejuvenate-ageing-cells/ . It was mentioned in the first article you posted.

Unfortunately, it is an injectable and I don’t think my doctor is going to prescribe it for me.

“This medication is given by injection into a vein as directed by your doctor, usually over at least 15 minutes. The dosage is based on your medical condition (including your kidney function) and response to treatment.”

“Zoledronate, also known as zoledronic acid, is an intravenous (IV) medication that belongs to a class of drugs known as bisphosphonates. It is an antiresorptive therapy used to treat various bone conditions, including both malignant and benign diseases.”[1]Oct 11, 2022

Zoledronate - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

National Institutes of Health (.gov)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › books › NBK585053

1 Like

Here is the text:

A blast of ultrasound waves could rejuvenate ageing cells

Treatment with low-frequency ultrasound has restarted cell division in ageing human cells and improved physical performance in old mice

By Michael Le Page

16 January 2023

A human cell (centre) during mitosis, the process of replication and division that creates new cells

TORSTEN WITTMANN/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Low-frequency ultrasound appears to have rejuvenating effects on animals. As well as restarting cell division in ageing human cells, it has reinvigorated old mice, improving their physical performance in tests such as running on a treadmill and making one old mouse with a hunched back move around normally again.

“‘Is this too good to be true?’ is the question I often ask,” says Michael Sheetz at the University of Texas Medical Branch, whose team …

is planning to start a small trial in people to see if the technique is safe and can help treat age-related diseases. “We’re examining all aspects of it to see if it really does work.”

After a certain number of divisions – known as the Hayflick limit – the cells in our bodies stop dividing, becoming senescent. Stresses such as toxic chemicals can also make cells become senescent.

This can have knock-on effects because some senescent cells secrete chemicals that cause inflammation or induce senescence in other cells. The growing proportion of senescent cells in various tissues in our bodies as we get older is thought to be one of the main causes of ageing and age-related diseases. For this reason, many people are trying to develop treatments that involve killing off senescent cells.

But another approach could be to use low-frequency ultrasound to rejuvenate them.

Sheetz’s team has found that low-frequency ultrasound makes senescent cells from monkeys and humans resume dividing and halts the secretion of chemicals that promote senescence. The researchers used ultrasound with a frequency of less than 100 kilohertz, well below the 2000 kHz or so used for medical imaging.

Human foreskin cells usually show signs of senescence after about 15 divisions, for instance, but with ultrasound treatment reached 24 divisions with no signs of abnormalities. The team is continuing the experiment to see what the limits are.

Extending the Hayflick limit could be useful for growing cells for research or for treating people. Sheetz plans to start selling ultrasound devices to other labs so they can try this.

His team also treated entire animals by placing mice aged between 22 and 25 months in warm water deep enough to cover at least half of their bodies, because ultrasound waves lose less power travelling through water than they do through air. Mice treated with ultrasound improved in physical tests compared with mice that were put in the warm water but weren’t given ultrasound.

In some cases, improvements were dramatic, says Sheetz. One old mouse had a hunched back and wasn’t moving well, and it did the worst in the initial tests. “We treated it twice with ultrasound and it was back to behaving normally,” he says. “I don’t think that rejuvenation is too strong a term.”

The team also used fluorescent dyes that bind to senescent cells to show that the proportion of these cells in the kidneys and pancreas of mice decreased after the treatment.

Why ultrasound has these effects isn’t clear. “Aspects of this are still mystifying,” says Sheetz.

However, his hypothesis is that the physical distortion of cells by ultrasound has effects similar to that of exercise. In particular, it may be reactivating the waste disposal systems inside cells, which grind to a halt in senescent cells.

Are the findings convincing? “Generally, yes,” says Jürgen Götz at the University of Queensland in Australia. “But I think more work is needed to define the effective ultrasound parameters.” It will also be difficult to apply to people, he says, given that bones and lungs block ultrasound transmission.

Götz’s team has found that mice given a higher-frequency of ultrasound show improvements in memory, and a small trial is under way to see if this can help people with Alzheimer’s.

Ultrasound has, for decades, been used as a therapy for a wide range of conditions, but typically treatments used hand-held devices and higher frequencies of ultrasound than Sheetz and his team’s approach. The results have been mixed. The use of different equipment and methods is a major problem in assessing efficacy, say Goetz, as it makes it very hard to compare studies.

Sheetz and his team are planning a trial involving people with osteoarthritis, who will immerse their bodies in water to be treated, and people with diabetic foot ulcers, who will be treated using foot baths. Any therapy that boosts cell division could theoretically increase the risk of cancer, but Sheetz says his team has seen no sign of this.

Reference: bioRxiv, DOI: 10.1101/2022.12.08.519320

3 Likes

Are there any ultrasound treatments available for humans?

It’s also fantastic for car parts…

Business opportunity… drive-through ultrasound for cars and humans :wink:

2 Likes