New Rapamycin podcast with Mikhail Blagosklonny

Thank you for the awesome interview, Krister! I wish Dr Blagosklonny the best.
Questions: 1. If low protein diet under age 65 is best for longevity, then why would you combine a low carb diet with Rapamycin? wouldn’t a low protein diet combined with Rapamycin be better for those under 65?
2. Why animal protein? I thought animal protein increases MTOR, cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. What’s bad about plant proteins?

Thanks,
Fawn (WFPB vegan taking Rapamycin weekly.)

2 Likes

Here is a great clip with Peter Attia interviewing Matt Kaeberlein. I think it will give you some interesting insight in the area.

Regarding question one why a low carb diet is a better alternative than low protein diet to Acarbose is that a low carb diet mimics better what acarbose does. Acarbose lowers the glucose levels which has shown good lifespan effects in mice in the ITP. Low carb diet lowers also glucose levels by lowering carbs. Low protein diet does not lower glucose levels as good as a low carb diet.

Regarding question 2 this is a thing which is still under debate but I prefer to strive for medium protein intake and mix it with animal and plant protein. Not to go extreme on any of the camps but if this is optimal for us humans no one knows yet.

2 Likes

Misha is back :pray:

https://twitter.com/Blagosklonny/status/1697576770667475094

https://twitter.com/Blagosklonny/status/1697596374789878230

6 Likes

Thanks for the Peter Attia with Matt K interview. It is all very interesting but so inconclusive. I will be doing a Viome home test soon and hope to get some personal insight into what works best in my body.

2 Likes

Yes, the problem is that we don’t know what is best and that is a bit frustrating. If we would have known then there would not have been the different camps out there still debating. It probably also differs between individuals what is best. Even if the person has same gender and are at same age. So there are different parameters to take into account. Hope you find a level that works great for you. I will try to dig more in this some how in future podcast to see if we can bring more light to the topic.

2 Likes

It is so true. Speaking is a unconscious skill for most people. The words just come, and “thinking out loud” is the natural way. To think before speaking is a learned skill that helps with this problem you describe. It isn’t any fun and generally people don’t even know it is a thing. The problem for the podcast host is the need to manage so many things all at once with no help and little ability to recover from error: sound quality, time limits, air time per person, covering the key points, staying on track, making it fun and personable, etc., while also thinking before speaking clearly. It gets easier with practice but never easy.

3 Likes

Also, my understanding is that Acarbose does not help women very much…so maybe low carb works better in men than women too?

Here is an interesting post of the top list of the ITP results for females. Rapamycin and Acarbose are on the top. They work better for males but the combo seems quite powerful for mice. If it will work for humans that is another questions.

https://twitter.com/KristerKauppi/status/1686309703901487104

Glad to see one of my favorites, methylene blue, make the list, but what happened to lithium? Wasn’t it on one of your previous lists?

1 Like

@desertshores How do you use Methylene Blue? For what effect? I’ve been curious but after listening to Masterjohns podcast I’d be afraid to try it.

1 Like

I am staying away from Methylene Blue. Seems like playing with fire.

1 Like

Yeah, I have been playing with fire for a long time. :smile:
I recommend that younger people exercise caution, especially ones with family obligations. At my age, I can’t afford to be cautious. If I go up in flames, no big deal.
I am an advocate of Michael Lusgarten’s philosophy:
“Conquer Aging Or Die Trying!”

5 Likes

Well, with due respect to Chris Masterjohn, he is not near the top of the list of authorities I rely on.
My current experiment with methylene is for its anti-viral properties and its effect on my
lymphocytes and smaller cells known as B and T lymphocytes. My lymphocytes are normal but my absolute lymphocytes have been above normal for years indicating an underlying problem. My doctors have always ignored this, including my current physician who says don’t worry about it. So, I am doing a little self-medicating.
Since I turned 70, I have detected an attitude with my doctors. They are thinking “Yeah, well you’re old, what do you expect?”

5 Likes

Do you remember which of my list the lithium was on because ITP has not tested that compound. On this page you can find all the interventions that has been tested.

Sorry, I probably mixed up the threads. Maybe it was this thread:

Extending Healthy Lifespan by Systematically Targeting Ageing Pathways Synergies (PHD Thesis)

I started taking lose-dose lithium decades ago in the form of lithium orotate. Mainly because of its mellowing effects on my perhaps too-aggressive personality. Hoped it worked. :smile: Since I started taking lithium I began coming across articles mentioning its possible life-extension properties. This is one of the more recent ones:

“Recent studies have shown that lithium supplementation can extend health and lifespan in different animal models”

3 Likes

Going whole food plant based will usually lower your WBC’s.

Also fascinating in this summary chart that Krister posted, compared to rapamycin alone in female mice:

1. Acarbose added to Rapamycin increases median lifespan by 6% but no change in maximum lifespan.
  2. Adding Metformin to Rapa increases median lifespan by 2% but actually decreases max by 4%.

In addition, Leucine, by itself, decreases median lifespan by 2% but increases max by 5% in female mice.

This does not make sense to me.

What am I missing, please?

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

As I mentioned earlier I am not a missionary for any particular diet. I have tried many of the popular diets with mixed results. I am currently trying the carnivorish diet, I am not a purist, but my diet is mainly meat-based.

As you can see my absolute lymphocytes appear to be decreasing on the carnivore diet.

Also, my WBC has gone down on the carnivore diet:

Unfortunately, even though I have access to records going back a decade, they did not check lymphocytes in the routine wellness checks my insurance provided until 2016.

My WBC is almost exactly the same as it was in early 2015.

If forum members think I am publishing TMI, please let me know. I personally like to see the results of forum member’s blood tests as a result of their diets, taking rapamycin, and supplements.

3 Likes

Thank you for this insightful, important and kind interview. I listened the podcast the day it came out.
Will also use yuotube.
Thank you for your work!

1 Like

Does anybody know how long MB was on rapamycin? When did he start?