New Matt Kaeberlein Rapamycin Seminar (Zoom), February 22, 1pm PST

Join in on a new Matt Kaeberlein Seminar:

The mTOR inhibitor rapamycin is the most robust and reproducible pharmacological intervention to increase lifespan and healthspan metrics in laboratory animals. Several groups have independently shown that short-term treatment with rapamycin during middle-age in mice can prevent age-related decline or rejuvenate functional measures of health in various organs and tissues including brain, heart, kidney, muscle, oral cavity, immune system, and ovary. Here I will summarize the preclinical evidence that rapamycin can positively modulate biological aging and describe current efforts to determine whether these effects are shared in companion dogs and people.

1:30pm Pacific Standard Time

Meeting ID: 930 4620 8772

Passcode: PATH520

9 Likes

Nice.

I have been waiting for something fresh and recent from my favorite… no nonsense researcher.

Appreciate the heads up.

4 Likes

I would love to see this, but I have to be out at that time. Do you know if they will be recording it?

2 Likes

This is starting now. The passcode has to be PATH all caps, so PATH520

2 Likes

They are recording it, but I’m not sure if they’ll make it available broadly. I will try to ask.

2 Likes

I just asked and they say that they will make it available on the Internet. I’ll see if I can get them to email me the link when it becomes available.

6 Likes

Just some interesting tidbits that I noted from Matt’s discussion:

• Matt Kaeberlein mentioned there is unpublished data that shows that everolimus increased lifespan in mice (not sure what lab or who did it).

• Rapamycin is an anti-fungal, not an antibiotic (an important distinction to make - e.g. for people thinking it kills the microbiome, etc.).

• There is interesting unpublished data that antibiotics have a positive effect on the longevity phenotype… not much published.

• Matt - thinks the dog studies are better than marmosets for rapamycin studies. Dogs - genetically diverse, they live in the human environment (not a pathogen-free lab environment).

• Marmosets closer in evolutionary terms, but many lab animals are heavily inbred, so don’t represent the human population well.

6 Likes

Might be easier to get it than rapamycin for Europeans, who don’t want to pay standard rapamune prices. Higher mg dose per tablet means less tablets overall per shipment.

2 Likes

A great refresher… a few new bits.

I actually had a chance to chat with Matt K.
some before the program… he was surprised I asked if he was 53 or 54 years… he said 52 years… biological years…hopefully a lot younger. Lol.

Thanks for the heads up on this opportunity RapAdmin.

3 Likes

Just heard back from the organizers of the Kaeberlein zoom conference call. The video of the event will be posted here in the next week or so: (if someone sees it when it goes up, please post here).

5 Likes

Another Kaeberlein discussion if you want to listen in:

3 Likes

Just saw this. Maybe they will post it on youtube.

1 Like

More Matt Kaeberlein, the tireless interviewee…

4 Likes

It’s up, ICYMI

2 Likes